Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 122
Like Tree14Likes
  1. mocarey's Avatar
    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by apeka53 View Post
    How did you charge the Mugen battery? Did you use an external charger? If so, which one?

    By what you describe it looks like your battery is defective. I would contact Mugen, explain your problem and ask for a replacement battery.
    I used two external Palm chargers, i.e. The original wall charger that came with the Pre3 and the wall charger from the Palm International connector kit, one at the office and one at home.
  2. #42  
    I got mine last week and charged the phone up on Sunday. The odd thing is that it doesn't seem to work on my Touchstone at work any more. It did last week with the old battery . I'll try it out on other Touchstones and see if the work Touchstone will charge up my Pre2 or Veer.
  3. #43  
    My original hp pre 3 battery is lasting loads longer since i installed the last webos update , i dont see the need to upgrade the battery.
    My phone has been on for more than 12 hours now and i made calls and used 3g, played a couple of games and im still on 68%. Beats the battery life i had on my galaxy s2 by miles
  4. Crakeur's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post
    My original hp pre 3 battery is lasting loads longer since i installed the last webos update , i dont see the need to upgrade the battery.
    My phone has been on for more than 12 hours now and i made calls and used 3g, played a couple of games and im still on 68%. Beats the battery life i had on my galaxy s2 by miles
    my original battery worked great. I'm not a heavy user but, last weekend I was travelling in an area with crappy cell service and the phone still lasted fairly well so, when my mugen battery arrived last week I wasn't sure if I even needed it. I decided to go thru the drain and charge suggestions anyway. I started on Thursday and had to skip on night of charging as the phone was still at 40% when I went to sleep on Saturday night. It charged for 8 hours last night and hasn't been plugged in since 6:30 this morning and I'm still over 70%. That's insane.

    I also like the thicker phone. Feels a bit hefty but the more solid feel in my hand allows me to handle it better.
  5. #45  
    I received my Mugen battery about a week ago but every since the 2.2.4 update my Pre 3's battery life has been excellent so I really have not been that motivated to swap out batteries and then do the charge/drain cycle 3-5 times. I finally got around to it Saturday evening around 7 pm. So I installed the Mugen battery and after making some phone calls and a few texts it was still at 99% so I just set it down on the nightstand and figured I just let it run all night without being on its Touchstone. So next morning after around 12 hours I picked it up to check how much battery was left and it read 93%. So I have the patch where you can set the screen to never turn off and it took almost 6 hours with the screen lit till my Pre 3 finally discharged down to 5%. 2.2.4 update rocks! (WiFi on, GPS on and 3 email accounts set to check every half hour)
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I received my Mugen battery about a week ago but every since the 2.2.4 update my Pre 3's battery life has been excellent so I really have not been that motivated to swap out batteries and then do the charge/drain cycle 3-5 times. I finally got around to it Saturday evening around 7 pm. So I installed the Mugen battery and after making some phone calls and a few texts it was still at 99% so I just set it down on the nightstand and figured I just let it run all night without being on its Touchstone. So next morning after around 12 hours I picked it up to check how much battery was left and it read 93%. So I have the patch where you can set the screen to never turn off and it took almost 6 hours with the screen lit till my Pre 3 finally discharged down to 5%. 2.2.4 update rocks! (WiFi on, GPS on and 3 email accounts set to check every half hour)
    To do my charge cycles, I was streaming Slacker Radio over WiFi to bluetooth.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  7. jaltman's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
       #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I got mine last week and charged the phone up on Sunday. The odd thing is that it doesn't seem to work on my Touchstone at work any more. It did last week with the old battery . I'll try it out on other Touchstones and see if the work Touchstone will charge up my Pre2 or Veer.
    The touchstone connects through coils in the back cover and then through the phone before the battery. So if there is a touchstone problem, it is more likely to be dirty connections on the inside back cover or the cover not being fully seated.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
  8. #48  
    I was looking at the contacts earlier today and they appear to be clean. My other concern was if the Mugen battery was a little too thick, it might not cause those contacts to be seated correctly. Hopefully, I didn't mess up the back somehow in the process of removing it. I hate changing the SIM or battery in my Pre3 since it is much harder to remove the back cover than it was to do the same operation on my Pre or Pre2.

    Battery life on the first charge hasn't been that great. It is down to 25% after about 9 hours.
  9. #49  
    I didn't see great battery life until I had hit my 3rd charge cycle IIRC.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  10. #50  
    I'm barely at the 2nd charge cycle and it's been doing great so far. I took it off the charger yesterday at noon and haven't charged it since. Its barely at 38% right now after a good 28 hours of use. Although it wasn't in heavy use yesterday, it's still got a pretty good standby time considering I was still getting emails and sms throughout the day. Definitely worth it!
  11. #51  
    It looks like my problem was with the touchstone. I had forgotten that I had unplugged the cable from the charger and had it plugged into my computer under the desk to transfer some files to my Touchpad. doh!
  12. gregp's Avatar
    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #52  
    I've just completed my fourth full power cycle on this battery. I'm fortunate enough to have two Pre 3's; the second was still new in box and I've opened it purely to charge the Mugen battery. So it's had a solid 12 hours every charge, once my stock battery goes flat I shut down, swap in the Mugen and charge up the OEM, then run the Mugen down until the phone shuts down. From reading the instructions this sounds to be a textbook way to get optimum performance (I don't run it completely flat, only until shutdown which I assume is OK).

    To be honest I've not noticed any performance improvement but I think this is unsurprising. On the first page someone made the wise point 1215 ->1400 is not a big jump and in everyday use where one day is rarely like another it's going to be hard to notice an improvement unless the original battery is dying (which is unlikely at this early stage). A scientific test would be helpful e.g. phone idle with radios off for 1 hour on both batteries, brightness at x% and so on and then see how much each one drops. Hate to say it but my suspicion is that most of the improvements noted are a result of the placebo effect more than anything else.

    What I HAVE definitely noticed is that when it gets to 5% and I get the 'phone will shut down very soon message', the phone shuts down as soon as I click OK, or within a few seconds if I don't. On my original battery it stays on much longer, I'm pretty sure I've been down to 1% with it. This has me puzzled. 5% is a clear line in the sand and a larger capacity battery should stay alive longer. I assume either:

    1) After four charge/discharge cycles the battery is still building its capacity (I doubt this)
    2) The chip in the battery is not calibrated properly and is either sending the 5% signal too late or the shutdown signal too early (assuming it's the battery that makes those decisions)

    Has anyone else noticed this sudden shutdown?

    As an aside it's definitely harder to insert the Mugen battery than the OEM. Originally it felt like I was going to break something but the contacts are loosening up now. I guess as they age I'd rather have them start tight than loose.

    This post sounds like I don't like the Mugen battery. That's not the case; I'd rather be running 1400 than 1215, but I'd also like a bit more warning before a forced shutdown. It reminds me of my old Nokia 100 - battery dead would be three chimes and the phone would shut down about 10 seconds later; was great as it gave you enough time to tell the person on the other end of the line you had to go. My 6230 made the same noises but turned off immediately after. A warning with no time to do anything about it is pointless in my view "Look out! BANG"
    Last edited by gregp; 01/25/2012 at 05:23 AM.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I've just completed my fourth full power cycle on this battery. I'm fortunate enough to have two Pre 3's
    Lucky you, but a second Pre3 sounds to me like an expensive external charger. I'm still searching to find an external charger for the Pre3 battery, but so far no luck. Most universal Li-Ion chargers can't handle this type of battery with the built-in chip/circuit and 5 contacts..

    My Mugen SL lasts me for almost one and a half day in a row, without charging, which is slightly better than the standard battery, which was finished after one one day already. As you say, one day is always different from the other and daily usage of the Pre3 as well: more/less e-mails, more/less internet and not to forget the availabilty and strenght of Wifi signals. I also noticed a tight fit of the Mugen battery, but I didn't need to use any pressure to squeeze it in. Time will tell if Mugen made a hit product..
    Last edited by apeka53; 01/25/2012 at 05:36 AM.
  14. gregp's Avatar
    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by apeka53 View Post
    Lucky you, but a second Pre3 sounds to me like an expensive external charger. I'm still searching to find an external charger for the Pre3 battery, but so far no luck. Most universal Li-Ion chargers can't handle this type of battery with the built-in chip/circuit and 5 contacts..

    My Mugen SL lasts me for almost one and a half day in a row, without charging, which is slightly better than the standard battery, which was finished after one one day already. As you say, one day is always different from the other and daily usage of the Pre3 as well: more/less e-mails, more/less internet and not to forget the availabilty and strenght of Wifi signals. I also noticed a tight fit of the Mugen battery, but I didn't need to use any pressure to squeeze it in. Time will tell if Mugen made a hit product..
    For sure, didn't buy it AS a charger, it's a spare phone for when #1 goes down / dropped / stolen etc, but figured I may as well use it for this. Kudos to Mugen for making the thing; even for nothing more than a factory spare it's worth having given Pre's aren't known for their (long) battery life but if it can outlast the original then so much the better.
  15. #55  
    Mine's charging up to 1486 mAh and it's still counting...

    EDIT: 1504 mAh now! What's going on???
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 01/25/2012 at 03:23 PM.
  16. #56  
    Three full recharge/discharge cycles, and Im defintely seeing better battery life with regular use, AND, no more random shutdowns and battery pulls like I had with the old standard battery.

    Dr. Battery shows 1460 Mah for the battery, as well.

    Great product, IMO.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  17. #57  
    Well, after following Mugens break in procedure to the letter, according to Dr Battery, the highest capacity is 1230 mAh. Oh well, lol, the main reason I purchased it was so I could have a back up battery and with 2.2.4 I can go 2 days on a charge (light user) now so all is good
  18. Crakeur's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    #58  
    the battery life is great for me but I've lost the ability to use touch to share and the battery no longer charges on the stone. I did notice that the new phone back doesn't have the little electronic attachment like the original phone did.

    assume that's the problem.
  19. #59  
    It's been a month now, since I ordered the battery and I still have not received it. Each time I contact Mugen, their response is always the same, "you should be receiving the battery 'this' week".
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  20. ehosey2's Avatar
    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    #60  
    ^To Crakeur,
    It is the problem. Mugen specifically stated the 2800mAh battery with new door is NOT compatible with the touchstone.
    Last edited by ehosey2; 02/02/2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Added 2800mAh.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions