Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I had my pre3 exactly as I wanted it. Kept sayin no yo update, but it did it eventually. My preware saved files was gone...so I tried to repatch (mainly sconix advanced) but now govnah shows a perpetually pegged CPU and I drop 10% per hour...and it happens, of course, on my way to China - changing planes right now.

Argh.

Any ideas on a fix highly appreciated.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    mine drain since before update to 2.2.4. I don't know what caused it. First month I use Pre3 with 2.2 my pre3 battery really awesome. After pass 12 hours light use with all data & wifi on, it still around 40%, all I need just set email sync to >30minutes. But after I updated patches on preware, battery drain problem occurred, even all patches & uberkernell uninstalled, I can't make Pre3 battery like before and even after update to 2.2.4. Now battery drain around >7% an hour with data & wifi on. My suspicion, maybe my carrier signal not good recently, that's why battery drain happened on my pre3
    Well this is my experience.

- Pre3 working well before 2.2.4 OTA update.
    - After update I started losing 7-10% battery per hour even when the phone had no apps running and was in Aeroplane mode overnight.
    - Waited 2 weeks to see if there was any improvement........there wasn't.
    - Attempt to fix No.1 - Web Doctor 2.2.4............issue not resolved.
    - Attempt to fix No.2 - Full Erase, .....................issue not resolved.
    - Attempt to fix No.3 - Full Erase, then doctor......issue not resolved.
    - Attempt to fix No.3 - Secure Erase, then doctor..issue not resolved.
    I have also replaced the battery with a 2nd Pre3 battery to no avail.

My last resort is now to actually use my 2nd Pre3........but I don't like my chances.

PS - I have never installed uber kernal etc etc. I don't use bluetooth and only use wifi about once a week.............sigh!
    You should turn off both Bluetooth and WiFi since you don't use them. This should help to improve battery drain issue.

Good luck.
    Confirming this issue, hat to charge my pre3 all day long....
    Quote Originally Posted by qlearner View Post
    You should turn off both Bluetooth and WiFi since you don't use them. This should help to improve battery drain issue.

Good luck.
    Yep, Bluetooth is always off and GPS and Wifi are only turned on when required etc.

Cheers.
    FWIW, I was having battery drain issues on my Pre 2 doctored to 2.2.4, as well as heat issues. Installing the 'System Control Optimization' and 'Disk Cache Mod' patches from the 2.2.3 feeds, as well as using UberKernel rather than the Stock Kernel, seemed to contribute to resolving the issues.
    petrus1 likes this.
    Before installing 2.2.4 on my at&t Pre 3 (on the at&t network in California) I was happy with the battery consumption of my Pre 3 at idle with the screen off using around .9 of 1% per hour and that is with GPS on, WiFi on and 3 email accounts checking every 30 minutes.

After installing 2.2.4 I noticed that the battery consumption was much higher so I checked it and sure enough it had escalated to almost 9% per hour at idle. I posted this in the 2.2.4 update thread and another member posted that the same thing happened to his Pre 2 after the update but I should wait because after a week his Pre 2 was running great and using less battery at idle than before the update. Sure enough, after a few days my Pre 3 settled in and was running cool and fast and my battery consumption at idle had dropped down to .5 of 1% per hour, almost half the power usage than before the update. I am running many patches on my Pre 3 but not the Uberkernel or System contro Optimiaztion patches. I know everyone has different results and there are many varibles that effect battery usage but so far I am really happy with the 2.2.4 update.

Another improvement I noticed after the update was with the "auto dimming" feature, I really like it now, especially when going from indoors to outside into bright sunlight, no more having to manually adjust my screen to be able to see it as before when I was running the "disable atuo dimming" patch with 2.2.3.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    FWIW, I always turn off BT and WiFi when not in use...I actually turn off DATA when not in use. I really just want my 2.2.3-dialed-in-charge-every-other-day Pre3 back.

Once I'm back home I'll get xterm installed and see if I can dig into this with ps axv and top. Either way 2.2.4 basically has ruined my once stellar Pre3 experience. I supposed I can doctor back to 2.2.3, but is there a way to prevent future "on its own" updates to 2.2.4?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    I've also encountered the CPU peg/lag/battery drain issue on 2.2.4 before. Initially I thought it was a kernel issue, or heavy load causing it to trip or something. Also I don't think undervolting helps, I decided to revert to UberKernel with stock voltages@1.6ghz and haven't since had the issue.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    I have my ATT Pre 3 off the touchstone since 5am EST and it is now 7:45 EST. It drops to 95% level (<2%/hr). I have both Bluetooth, WiFi and data turned off. I am using Uberkernel and set at 368-1690 MHz. JStop (GC) enabled.

Do you have a poor cell-signal at your location ? It will have major impact on battery usage.

Good Luck.
    It is 3:17pm EST. My ATT Pre3 ( TMO SIM) is at 89% ( < 1.1%/hr ). I didn't use it since 7:35am EST. I got 2-3 bars for signal strength. Note I loaded all the patches to disble logging as much as I could.
    +1

From 96 To 0 % in 4-5 hours!..
    Seems I'm starting to experience this issue, too

(wifi off, data off, 3g off, bt off, gps off, stock kernel)

I've the phone since over 1 month and a half, and I did the 2.2.4 OTA immediately.. until yesterday late afternoon, had no issues of sort.

But there's one thing I did yesterday, that I think MAY be related to this issue some of us are experiencing. Yesterday I was in a mall, and decided to turn on wifi to check the free hotspot there... just for 1 minute (all the rest of the time, up to when I'm writing now, wifi was off, data off , gps off).
    Battery was 71%.

Back home, after around 1h, while putting the phone down I realized something was wrong... battery was at 31%.

I find a strange coincidence that this started when I tried briefly that free wifi hotspot...

Anyway, put the phone on the touchstone from 7pm until 4am, removed it from the touchstone and went to sleep... at 11:20 the phone was down around 28%, so a 10% drain each hour.

I've done a full reboot (noticed, after the reboot, that the wifi entry in the pulldown where you can activate wifi-bt-vpn, had no more OFF or ON next to it, but just an empty space. Turned it on to connect 1 second to my local wifi, turned it off, and the ON - OFF reappeared) and put the phone again on the touchstone.

Now is charging, and I'll keep a close eye on it, today.

BUT

I'm pretty sure that the battery icon shows that's charging quite fast now... and I'm pretty sure that it took a lot yesterday, to get to the same level.

I'm also quite sure to remember that yesterday, on the touchstone, the temperature in govnah was 39, while now is 37

Ah yes... before rebooting, Top shown LunasysMgr having a quite high runtime...
    Mah, don't understand anything anymore ...

off from the touchstone at 18:15 ... now is 22:46 , so 4h30m

battery is at 97%... so now is having the BEST battery drain I've ever had on it...
    i think this power drain is connected to the ****ed up wifi connection, if he just wants to check for email, he might try 4hours to get a connection and then is the battery dead. happend with my pre today
    Would I be missing out on any huge update/change if I reverted back to 2.2.3 via doctoring?
    HP Pre 3 AT&T 4G 16GB
    HP TouchPad WiFi 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by eternityzero View Post
    i think this power drain is connected to the ****ed up wifi connection, if he just wants to check for email, he might try 4hours to get a connection and then is the battery dead. happend with my pre today
    you mean that I turned on wifi and connected to that hotspot and when I turned it off, 1 or 2 minutes later, the email download process kept trying downloading in a loop nonstop ?

... it sounds a possibility indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    FWIW, I was having battery drain issues on my Pre 2 doctored to 2.2.4, as well as heat issues. Installing the 'System Control Optimization' and 'Disk Cache Mod' patches from the 2.2.3 feeds, as well as using UberKernel rather than the Stock Kernel, seemed to contribute to resolving the issues.
    Where can we find system control optimisation patch?. I didn't find it in preware...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Mah,

again... 80% around 4am
    15% around 2pm

in all that time, the phone was idle... measured drain when it chimed because being 15%, -188ma with everything off

Full reboot

measured drain after rebooting ... -330ma ....

now is recharging. Never had any issues with 2.2.0 , but seems now there's a random problem.
    ( I'm using the stock kernel.. and practically no patches aside turning off the logging)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast