1.    #1  
    Hi,
    Ok, today I decided to pull the trigger, and transition off my Sprint FrankenPre2 onto a brand new ATT Pre 3.

I left the box at home, brought the Pre3 to work, then when I tried to turn it on it showed no sim card... Sure enough, I opened it up, no SIM inside. Being a Palm freak, I had my ATT Touchpad with me, with an unactivated SIM.

I put it in, turned it on, tried to go through the initial set up. It asks for my Palm Profile, I try to use my existing one, then it seems like it wants to use the cell to connect, which doesn't work.

Is the issue the Touchpad SIM card? I went to ATT's website, and tried to activate online, but the page requires order id, etc.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Edit: I believe there is a way to use WiFi, but it's beyond my pay grade so I'll let others tell you.

If I am correct, you can't activate by WiFi, you need an active SIM. I brought mine to a nearby at&t store and they set everything up in a matter of minutes (including 4G). You'll have to contact at&t one way or the other if you want 4G, so I'd recommend just heading to the nearest at&t store.
    Last edited by carldc; 01/06/2012 at 12:50 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I'll head over. Though I think I have to activate online to get the discounts...

I was hoping to do it all online (in the middle of a 2 hour conference call ;-) )
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    You can activate using wifi instead of 2-3g , but to do it you have to create a custom doctor with this option enabled, and doctor the phone..
  5.    #5  
    Went to store, had them do it there. All is well...
    KA1
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Good! You wont regret it! I've had mine activated for over two months. It's the better than any Palm phone or PDA I've ever had.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    FYI.. here is a tip on how to activate a webOS 2.x device without a cellular connection. http://www.webosnation.com/bypass-activation-webos-2-x

however, the best bet is always to borrow a SIM card from someone for a GSM device. it's just so much easier!
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work: