Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By modelnet
  • 1 Post By GuyFromNam
  1.    #1  
    I am so bummed out by the seeming stagnation of webOS ...there's no news as regards android mod for the Pre3, a real nice phone. I love using the webOS but it looks like I would do well not to get accustomed to it excessively inasmuch as this may be a short leash ...I am not an early adopter, and having graduated from a WiMo6.1 fone to the Pre3, I made what is, for me, a big investment. I am not saddened by the expenditure, but I am distressed by the need to think about moving on so early on in this phone's life. I have the touchpad to go with it and am not so sorry about that since it has an android backup plan on it. I do NOT care for android, and would likely think about going back to windows phone sometime. At least that will not disappear, maybe...
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    It is what is. I expect the phone to last a few years, I have a spare all ready to go . So if it developes all good if this wonderful pre 3 is the last of the line ... Enjoy while you have it, who knows what next year will bring.
    carldc, gastr and Vistaus like this.
    I think i'm a bit confused. Are you saying you are happy with your Pre3 for now? And don't like Android?

Why not just wait?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    I think i'm a bit confused. Are you saying you are happy with your Pre3 for now? And don't like Android?

Why not just wait?
    I am waiting. I am happy with pre3 now. I also am concerned with ATT unlocked model as to what my experience might be in the EU where I spend lots of time. I still have my wiMO6.1 phone as a back-up but am afraid I am spoiled with the pre3... I do NOT jump to spend $$$ unless I am forced. At present, I am spending some time banking ipk files for all the apps and mods I have in case HP lets everyone drop off the edge...
    It's clear from your posts you prefer to jump to your own conclusions instead of searching information about existing solutions.
    You should really visit Main Page - WebOS Internals as it may be extremely educating for you.
    should be fine on 2G in EU. Data roaming would likely cost an arm and a leg anyway.
    should be fine on 2G in EU. Data roaming would likely cost an arm and a leg anyway.
    Any Pre 3 is capable of 3G over 2100 MHz. That's just about anywhere on the planet, except in the outback.
    Vistaus likes this.
  8.    #8  
    I get a card there with Proximus ...data is cheap (5/200mb/mo promo) ...I don't stay long enough to expire the 6mo promo ...I get a contract without terms (month-month) ...great!!

In Benelux you get 3G in cities on 2100mHz.

What is really different is the outcalls to mobile phones are free to same network and incalls are free to recipient. There are also night/weekend freebies depending on your plan choice.
    I'm using a Pre3 in the UK, and the data speeds are great. Faster than I thought it would be.

I would just keep the Pre3, unless you need more apps, which seems to be the case with a lot of people. 2012 could be a good year for webOS. Lets hope eh.
    even if its not, the Pre3 is a really good phone, with a great OS.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by modelnet View Post
    It is what is. I expect the phone to last a few years, I have a spare all ready to go . So if it developes all good if this wonderful pre 3 is the last of the line ... Enjoy while you have it, who knows what next year will bring.
    Exactly. Sounds just like me (right down to the spare)! The Pre 3 will be good to go for as long as any phone would be. At worst, it buys you a couple of years to see what develops.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    it seems to me that people who worry about the longevity of their new device like the original poster are worried that HP are going to pull the plug on the app catalogue and synergy. if it were a possibility i'd be worried too, but i don't believe it is. HP would face being sued from what i hear (i'm no lawyer) if they pull the plug on it before touchpad firesale customers have had it for two years or something.

i say relax, don't worry, enjoy the moment while the sun shines who knows was 2013 will bring (don't hold your breath for new hardware from anyone in 2012, especially not phones).
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    it seems to me that people who worry about the longevity of their new device like the original poster are worried that HP are going to pull the plug on the app catalogue and synergy. if it were a possibility i'd be worried too, but i don't believe it is. HP would face being sued from what i hear (i'm no lawyer) if they pull the plug on it before touchpad firesale customers have had it for two years or something.

i say relax, don't worry, enjoy the moment while the sun shines who knows was 2013 will bring (don't hold your breath for new hardware from anyone in 2012, especially not phones).
    sued is one thing, to win is another... hp has a whole floor of a building full of their full time lawyers for sure while we who would sue have to pay a lawyer to do it...

also, my one phone call to HP for my Pre3 being told to call up the UK for customer service while it came sealed in a HP & AT&T box with a warranty brochure in it evidence to me they don't care a whit for customers or anyone for that matter...

I like the phone, I have a veer as a backup, I do NOT like HP at all...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Any Pre 3 is capable of 3G over 2100 MHz. That's just about anywhere on the planet, except in the outback.
    yes, but if I get it correctly, 3g and 4g on ATT USA is 850/1900 and on TMobile is 1700 and 2100 is in use in the EU and elsewhere ...

I looked here: List of UMTS networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    It's clear from your posts you prefer to jump to your own conclusions instead of searching information about existing solutions.
    You should really visit Main Page - WebOS Internals as it may be extremely educating for you.
    like, what's on that page that contributes anything to this ...a website that comprises references to hacking sites does not insure I will get services from HP beyond this very moment ...when there was the prolonged outage of their backup server a few weeks ago I was wondering with others if they had simply shut it down for good not wanting to spend the money for the electric current to keep it going ...none of this is reassuring at all...

I like the devices, they fired all the people who made them and maintained them, so who's left ...these are more technically sophisticated than pez dispensers and look who's in charge over there!! Not reassuring at all...
    You can just get the EU version of the PRE3. UK Qwerty models are most common (I have one and use it on AT&T in the US), but you can also get French Azerty sometimes. Pretty sure there is a German-keyboard model too.
    Touchpad 16GB
    Pre3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    like, what's on that page that contributes anything to this ...a website that comprises references to hacking sites does not insure I will get services from HP beyond this very moment ...when there was the prolonged outage of their backup server a few weeks ago I was wondering with others if they had simply shut it down for good not wanting to spend the money for the electric current to keep it going ...none of this is reassuring at all...

I like the devices, they fired all the people who made them and maintained them, so who's left ...these are more technically sophisticated than pez dispensers and look who's in charge over there!! Not reassuring at all...
    You wouldn't say that if you had bothered to look into what Saved Package List and Save & Restore do now, and WebOS Survival Kit - WebOS Internals will do in the future.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 01/04/2012 at 04:15 PM.