1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    I've been a 10+ years piloteer (I begun with Palm IIIc), and resisted with a Treo680 (GSM, I'm based in Italy) with Palm Desktop until today. I've been for years the kind of "power user" that many PalmOS users have been: member of the local PUG, used to put hands in ROM, playing with OS's easter Eggs, etc.
    I received this morning my new Pre3 (UK version)+Touchstone and, after updated to 2.2.4 I'm playing a bit with it, but didn't move yet to that as my primary device.

I think that most of forum members, here, have done a similar step in the past, so you should be able to understand my sensation of being a "stranger" in my device, after been (deeply) the homeowner for so many years...

What would be your suggestions to manage this transition in the best way?
    I moved from a Centro to a Pre3 a few months ago and it did feel a bit strange at first, especially with the lack of 5-way D-pad.

The one area I found sorely lacking was the calendar (after years using DateBK5). I would suggest you read up about installing Preware, then you can put the patch called Ubercalendar on your device. This brings back a lot of the functionality and display preferences you may be used to on your 680.

Also, the Tasks and Memos apps are a bit useless, so in their place I've installed ToDo Classic (via Preware) and Notes (Paid app, although Classicnote is almost as good and free!)

If you're used to the calculator on your Treo, that also doubled as a unit convertor, then you'll be disappointed to learn there is no built-in converter with the Pre's calculator. I just downloaded the free app 'Units' which covers most areas.

I used to use Filez a lot on my Treo and Centro so I now use Internalz Pro (available via Preware) to accomplish the same functionality (and more).

I'll gladly answer any other questions about the transition if I can.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I agree, you'll miss much of the basic PIM functionality of PalmOs with the default out-of-the-box WebOS, but various apps and patches can restore much, and the new stuff will make the loss less painful.

For me, the hard part was resigning myself to putting everything up in the cloud (google calendar, google contacts) in order to sync with the desktop (Mac). I tried the various solutions - Missing Sync, Palm Data Transfer Assistant, etc., but the only way to get things mostly working was using Google as an intermediate step between the desktop and my WebOS phone.

I also miss having a good password solution (by "good," I mean a solution that has a desktop component, can import/export, can sync between various devices, customized fields/formats, good encryption, etc.). The best I found was Secustore - very good, but missing a few features (I'm hoping the developer eventually decides to finish it, could be a great product).

Good luck!

PS-If you can, or are lucky, you can try to get Classic working (PalmOS emulator, no longer sold nor supported, though supposedly HP/Palm now has the source code...).
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    I moved from a Centro to a Pre3 a few months ago and it did feel a bit strange at first, especially with the lack of 5-way D-pad.

The one area I found sorely lacking was the calendar (after years using DateBK5). I would suggest you read up about installing Preware, then you can put the patch called Ubercalendar on your device. This brings back a lot of the functionality and display preferences you may be used to on your 680.

Also, the Tasks and Memos apps are a bit useless, so in their place I've installed ToDo Classic (via Preware) and Notes (Paid app, although Classicnote is almost as good and free!)

If you're used to the calculator on your Treo, that also doubled as a unit convertor, then you'll be disappointed to learn there is no built-in converter with the Pre's calculator. I just downloaded the free app 'Units' which covers most areas.

I used to use Filez a lot on my Treo and Centro so I now use Internalz Pro (available via Preware) to accomplish the same functionality (and more).

I'll gladly answer any other questions about the transition if I can.
    Well, in fact my first doubts are on PIM's usability and richness, where it seems that they've thrown away all the PalmOS experience.

Thanks for the unit converter tip, it's one of my favourite when travelling.

I will try to follow your suggestions and get back to you.

What about the email application and document management? On my Treo I was using SnapperMail with DocumentsToGo. Are Pre's bundled solutions powerful like those?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    For me, the hard part was resigning myself to putting everything up in the cloud (google calendar, google contacts) in order to sync with the desktop (Mac). I tried the various solutions - Missing Sync, Palm Data Transfer Assistant, etc., but the only way to get things mostly working was using Google as an intermediate step between the desktop and my WebOS phone.

I also miss having a good password solution (by "good," I mean a solution that has a desktop component, can import/export, can sync between various devices, customized fields/formats, good encryption, etc.). The best I found was Secustore - very good, but missing a few features (I'm hoping the developer eventually decides to finish it, could be a great product).

Good luck!

PS-If you can, or are lucky, you can try to get Classic working (PalmOS emulator, no longer sold nor supported, though supposedly HP/Palm now has the source code...).
    Good point, I've been happy for years using PalmDesktop (Mac) with local sync. And I don't love the idea to give Google more infos about myself than what already knows. Are you sure there's no way to have a local sync working?

Thanks for Secustore and Classic, I'll give a look at them.
    There is a free tool made by Palm/HP that can do a one-time transfer. Also there are various tools to sync your Pre 3 locally, but you will have to buy them over the App Catalog. CL USB Sync, The Missing Sync (Mac), PocketMirror for webOS 2+, Echo for Palm Desktop 6.2.2, Echo for webOS 2 are those that I can see so far. I personally prefer to do my sync OTA as I always had issues when using the old Palm-Sync.

You should have a look at Picsel Smart Office for your document editing ($ 9,99 in the App-Catalog). For your email-needs there are actually NO third-party apps that deal with your email, but you should really install Preware and have a look what you are missing and which Patches enhance the experience for you. Also if you are capable you could start to write some patches on your own. webOS is ver accesible and therefore easy to modify for somebody who knows so ething about Linux, CSS and HTML.

Also webOS doesn't import your contacts birthdays into your calendar any more. There are various other solutions (involving Google or Facebook) but the most convenient was to install the iCallimporter from the App Catalog ($0,99) and BirthdayEvents from Preware (free). It can create various types of reminders from your contacts birthdays.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GianmarcoCarnovale View Post
    What would be your suggestions to manage this transition in the best way?
    Welcome to the nation! I didn't make quite the direct leap you did, but I also had a succession of Palm devices, ending with a Treo 755p. I went all in with the Palm Pre-, then to a temporary Palm Pixi (when the Pre- broke), to my current at&t pre 3.

I agree with checkmate that you should immediately get Preware onto your device. Look for the Preware documentation app in the app catalog. For 99 cents, it will give you all the info you need to install Preware and get started with homebrew apps (and the cost helps to support app developers).

Don't bother with Classic. It wont work on the Pre 3. Many have tried (there are several forum topics on here devoted to it). It's been ported to webOS 2.1 with some work, but it will not work on the Pre 3 (see: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...2-0-above.html). Even it it did, the developer, MotionApps, does not support it any longer (they turned everything over to HP - who have done nothing with it) - so the best you might get is a 7-day trial.

As for PIM and Calendar issues, you've gotten some good advice here. Let me add one more (free) - converting Palm Calendar entries to Google Calendar (see: PdbConverter - ICalendar - shredzone.org) and then adding that account to your webOS Calendar.

BTW, even though I haven't used a Palm device since the Summer of 2009, I still have the Palm Desktop on my computer and I use it occasionally (mainly for contact info).
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
  8.    #8  
    Looks like I need Palm Desktop 6.2.2 in order to get Echo, or even to use the Palm Data Transfer Assistant software for webOS. But I'm on Mac, and latest release on Mac is Palm Desktop 4.2.1... This means that my options are only:
    A. Go through Google
    B. Get a PC that I would use only for synchronization

Is that correct?
    Looks like I need Palm Desktop 6.2.2 in order to get Echo, or even to use the Palm Data Transfer Assistant software for webOS. But I'm on Mac, and latest release on Mac is Palm Desktop 4.2.1... This means that my options are only:
    A. Go through Google
    B. Get a PC that I would use only for synchronization

Is that correct?
    Do NOT use Palm Data Transfer Assistant if you have a large amount of data. I tried twice, and each time ended up with duplicates or triplicates, recurring meetings being off, history changed, etc. The tool really only worked for simple, small data sets (which if you are a Palm user for so long is probably not true).

For the Mac, you have 3 working solutions that I know of:
    1. Missing Sync (or whatever they replaced it with). This works pretty well, though it is slow... The first sync may take over an hour. But it is similar to the Palm desktop - you can use it to convert movies, transfer stuff from iTunes/iPhoto, export/import from particular directories, etc.
    2. Use Google. You need to export your data from the Palm Desktop and into iCal/Address Book, then add software to sync those to Google, then set up your web devices to sync with Google. Works well. Only issue is that after the first sync, if you add a very old event or an event too far in the future (and we are talking weeks/months in both cases, I think), the Google/WebOS sync will ignore it. There is a patch for this.
    3. Use the PC. Sync your Palm device to both the mac and pc, then sync the pc to your webos device using Echo or other WebOS syncing tools.

I love WebOS, but if someone ever duplicated the PalmOS PIM functionality on Android or iOS, or even RIM or Windows, I would feel so much better about switching...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Well, in fact my first doubts are on PIM's usability and richness, where it seems that they've thrown away all the PalmOS experience
    yes, they did.

Jim came in and told īem all, that you can make a hell of a lot of bucks by creating a hip phone, say like the iphone. ("Jim" is the freshly graduated economics student, 24 years, dynamic, wearing no tie with his business-suit and knowing it all and even better, the one they engaged for saving palm from poverty).

so they threw away their knowledge of creating a usable business phone and made a hip outta it, trying to compete with apple, not realizing that they neither had the guts nor the money to even try it.

to be honest, the mistakes were made before, at the time when palm slept deep and R.I.M took over the sceptor of innovation and usability, the point where they lost their image of being the only ones who really knew about the "smart" part of a smartphone. this was around the time when they desparately tried to regain market shares they had needlessly lost to R.I.M, by creating a stoneage device called "Treo 180" or simply "brick".

no wonder they never steped up again. sad, but palmīs not the only one who got caught sleeping, nokiaīs another.

to get back on topic, yes, IF you expect something near the functionality of a Treo680 with DateBk6 and the like, youīll likely be quite disappointed.

a) the stock mail app on a Pre is quite good, which, compared to versamail, wasnīt hard at all. if it can stand up to snappermail I donīt know, īcause there isnīt any 3rd party solution.

b) the calendar is a pure mess compared to DateBk6, eben if pimped with UberCalendar, a measure Iīd highly recommend - donīt even TRY to play around with the stock calendar without having installed UC first, as you donīt really want to begin 2012 with disappointments all over the place.

c) ToDoīs are a mess, if there were any. If you like to sync, you are bound to use a web-based tasklist, like ToodleDo, RTM, and the like, and try to find a webOS-client for that service (I might suggest to take a look at the available clients first, as there arenīt any more to come since webOS is a dying system).

other than that, itīs nice playing with a Pre. Itīs not gonna beat a Treo680 in terms of serious work, but itīs definitely more fun.

(oh, if youīre concerned about the cloud, data security in the web and nerd stuff like that, you shoudnīt continue ...)
    Last edited by juggernaut; 01/04/2012 at 09:54 AM.