Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    here's my situation:
    - i have a euro Pre 3 on O2 UK
    - my O2 SIM is the same one i used on my old Pre Plus before i got the Pre 3
    - when i'm abroad (tested in ireland, spain and belgium) i cannot make calls
    - i had no such problem with my Pre Plus with the same SIM (so i don't blame O2)
    - yes i have international dialling on. if i set it to "always ask" or a particular carrier it seems to make no difference

it must be the phone, my phone settings, or the way i have my numbers stored.

the error message i get is "Address Error", "Address Failure" or something like that. i seem to remember messing around with the format of the phone number and getting it to work once in Spain, Belgium and Ireland, but I couldn't notice a pattern and can't remember what i dialled when it worked. what i mean by "messing with the format of the phone number" is, for example when calling an Irish mobile number when i was in Ireland, country code 353, number 0851234567, i tried:
    +353851234567
    +3530851234567

i seem to remember one of them working once and then not again, but i can't remember which.

i remember being in belgium being unable to call belgian numbers, but i could call an irish number.

i'm guessing it's some issue with the combination of the way the phone number is stored in my contacts (generally as +353851234567) and the way the local carrier wants it dialled.

anyone had similar experience and can help shed some light on this?
    I live in Germany (with O2-Germany as my carrier) and was visiting the Netherlands and Belgium with my Pre 3. I'am usually storing my number like "+49173xxxxxx" and it worked for me. So at least I couldn't reproduce that failure.

Did you already try if this happens with another SIM too?

As for the number-format: I had similar issues in Brazil, because they have the most ****ed-up system I have ever seen, where they basically tread mobiles as if they were fixed-telephones, so that you have to change the city-code every time you move from one city to another. But I never got any "Adress Error", instead a voice telling me that the number I have dialed was not available (or worse: it's ringing somewhere but it's not the person that I wanted to call ).
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vito-andolini View Post
    I live in Germany (with O2-Germany as my carrier) and was visiting the Netherlands and Belgium with my Pre 3. I'am usually storing my number like "+49173xxxxxx" and it worked for me. So at least I couldn't reproduce that failure.

Did you already try if this happens with another SIM too?

As for the number-format: I had similar issues in Brazil, because they have the most ****ed-up system I have ever seen, where they basically tread mobiles as if they were fixed-telephones, so that you have to change the city-code every time you move from one city to another. But I never got any "Adress Error", instead a voice telling me that the number I have dialed was not available (or worse: it's ringing somewhere but it's not the person that I wanted to call ).
    i didn't try it with another SIM, that would be worth a shot.

i don't think i have any trouble calling UK numbers (although i can't 100% confirm that until i go there again and try it), i have trouble calling the local numbers.

when you travel to the netherlands you haven't had any trouble calling dutch numbers?

i'm guessing that one needs to know how the local carrier wants you to dial numbers. it seems that the belgian carrier i was roaming on was okay with me calling an irish number with +35385xxxxxxx, but not okay with me calling a belgian number on +32492xxxxxx.

can any belgians here test whether or not you can dial local belgian numbers from within belgium using the +32492xxxxxx format? likewise for irish people calling irish numbers in the same way?
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    i just noticed this in the pre3 bug report sticky thread: Report Pre3 bugs here

i'm going to try this but won't be able to test it for a few weeks until i go to belgium again. thought i'd post it here in case anyone else has this problem and wants to try it.

@vito-andolini, do you have "International Dialling" set to ON or OFF in the phone settings?
    When I was in Belgium I had it switched on. But now I'am not sure any more if I also called some Belgium numbers while I was there or only other German numbers (which also were in Belgium at the time).

I guess around February I could verify it
    I too am on O2 (UK) and was having the same problem on my Pre3

I travel regularly between UK and Spain and was finding that on returning to Spain I was unable to call local Spanish numbers irrespective of the the prefix used +34, or 0034, or even no prefix at all.

Kept getting the announcement the "The number you called has not been assigned to a client" In old fashioned landline terms this was just a fancy "Number Unobtainable" tone.
    Put the SIM in my wife's Nokia - worked perfectly - no problem at all so indicating it was a handset issue.

O2 (UK) is, I think, unusual in that when you are roaming what you dial is exactly the same as if you were in the UK.
    01 etc for landlines, 07 etc for mobiles, for my Spanish numbers I need to dial +34 etc.

Had a few discussions and undertook a few tests with a friendly O2 network engineer and found that the settings that work for me are

Regional Settings - "Formats" and "Phone Numbers" set to United Kingdom
    Phone Preferences settings - "International Calls" - "International Dialling" set to OFF

Although we did not prove it absolutely our conclusion was that with "International Dialling" set to ON the Pre was sending some prefix digits if calls were made to non-UK numbers when roaming.

I will run some further tests when I have my next trip back to UK.