Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Ecut93
  • 1 Post By carldc
  • 1 Post By vito-andolini
  • 1 Post By The Bard
  • 2 Post By Furuboru
  1.    #1  
    I'm considering getting a Pre 3 with the keyboard being the one and only factor.

I own a Veer and think it to be a pretty good keyboard. Can anyone that has tried a Pre 3, Veer, and Pre 2 (or Pre 1 for that matter) offer some comparisons?

I know about all other aspects of the phone, just asking for help on the keyboard since I would obviously be getting the Pre 3 as a leap of faith. It is really that big of a step up? Does the Pre 3 have any top heavy aspects to it?

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I have used the Palm pre's, the veer's, and the pre3's keyboard and the pre3 has the the best keyboard by far. It truly is a delight to type on(some may say otherwise but it is definitely the best keyboard I had used on a smartphone).
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    I have used a Pre-, a Pixi, and a Pre 3, and I can easily say that the Pre 3's is the best. The layout is the same, but it's larger and more responsive. In addition, the Pre 3 is not top-heavy. It is surprisingly firm and balanced for a slider (unlike the Pre-).
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Vistaus likes this.
    I have used the Pre, Pre+, Veer and now the Pre 3. I also can confirm that the Pre 3 is the best keyboard of all of them.

While the Veer-keyboard is really good (much better than my old Pre and Pre+) the Pre 3 has a slightly better tactile feeling and handling than my Veer while being considerably larger and making it easy for me to type blindly onto my Pre 3. It's the best keyboard I had on any smartphone so far.

PS: I have one addition to my post. The Pre 3 has the best keyboard if you hold your device with both hands and type with both your thumbs. If you are one of those guys who only type with one finger at a time, then I found it easier to type on a Veer as it's much lighter and easy to hold with one hand.
    Last edited by vito-andolini; 01/02/2012 at 07:32 PM.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Pre 3 keyboard is the best!
    I already compared it to all other webOS phones.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I've had them all and my personal preference is Pixi+ by far. For me the Pre 3 is too big (crazy I know!) but it is better than Pre+ and Pre2

Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I've used the pre+, pre2 and now I have a pre3.

the pre3 is the best hardware I've ever had. Keyboard is as good as a blackberry curve.

it is the perfect weight, nice and thin, and just fits in the hand like an iphone 3.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for all the feedback. I completely forgot about the Pixi Plus. That was my favorite keyboard as well, but the device was so underpowered that I didn't keep it for long.

Also good to know that the Pre 3 compares favorably with a Blackberry Curve.
    Believe it or not, I actually prefer the Veer one over the Pre 3. I don't have huge hands so size isn't that big of a problem, but the extra clickiness in the Veer just feels better. Like BB Curve good.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I think there is more than one model of keyboard going around in the Pre3s. I remember in the Feb announcement, the Pre3 display model being shown around was clicky like the Veer. However, in a HP business show sometime mid 2011, a display Pre3 model had a non-clicky keyboard just like the Pre and the Pre2.

So buy only after using the unit keyboard if kb is so important to you.

I personally prefer the clicky version of the kb.
    If keyboard is the only factor -- most definitely yes!

If not not -- still most definitely yes!
    Rnp and Vistaus like this.
    I remember trying previous Pres in the O2 store and the keyboards always felt spongy and hard to use. The Pre3's, however, is amazing! I used to think my old Treo was good but this is soooo much better! Not just the clickiness, but the extra width too.

I tried typing on my Centro the other day (which I was quite happy with for 2 years) and it feels awful now.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by veerar View Post
    I think there is more than one model of keyboard going around in the Pre3s. I remember in the Feb announcement, the Pre3 display model being shown around was clicky like the Veer. However, in a HP business show sometime mid 2011, a display Pre3 model had a non-clicky keyboard just like the Pre and the Pre2.

So buy only after using the unit keyboard if kb is so important to you.

I personally prefer the clicky version of the kb.
    The Pre 3 is clickier than the Pre Plus, just not as clicky as the Veer and Pixi.

Pre had the mushiest, then comes the Pre Plus and Pre 2.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here