webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > amazing battery life Pre3 webOS 2.2.4
amazing battery life Pre3 webOS 2.2.4
Like Tree1Likes

Old 12/30/2011, 04:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

i upgraded my pre3 to webos2.2.4

and with wifi on, standy by time has become amaing.

about 1.22% /hr battery drain with skype and google talk online! i don't touch this spare phone, but i have a sim card in and use it to receive texts when i roam.
chrislo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Me to. Battery life has been insanly great. I ordered an extnded battery but i don't think I'll need it.
Vociferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 08:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm noticing better battery life too... if only that stupid Google Talk issue didn't return.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
if only that stupid Google Talk issue didn't return.
Agreed. So annoying.
drewpydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpydog View Post
Agreed. So annoying.
what gtalk problem?
Old 12/30/2011, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

+1 for better battery life. I also noticed better 3G reception. At my desk at work I used to have 0-2 bars of 2G on 2.2.0. Now I have 2-3 bars of 3G easy.
Old 12/30/2011, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

yes, indeed, what gtalk issue?
szlaeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 07:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Gtalk does not reconnect automatically after loss of signal. This worked fine in 1.4.5, but from 2.0.1 up (unknown about TP) it does not reconnect. You have to manually go in to the messaging app and log in.
drewpydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpydog View Post
Gtalk does not reconnect automatically after loss of signal. This worked fine in 1.4.5, but from 2.0.1 up (unknown about TP) it does not reconnect. You have to manually go in to the messaging app and log in.
You sure about that? I know for a fact when I come back to known wifi network that it reconnects again (i have Skype, Gtalk and Yahoo messenger so I really dont know if it reconnects to all of them or only to Skype and Yahoo)
vladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Actually my GTalk issue is a little more complex than that. Sometimes in weak signal areas or if there are captive Wi-Fi portals, my Messaging would disconnect, but GTalk still thinks it's connected, contacts are listed as "online". It'll stuck like that till I reboot the phone. It'll only reconnect to Skype properly, and the status dot can only be partially filled.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 12:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Actually my GTalk issue is a little more complex than that. Sometimes in weak signal areas or if there are captive Wi-Fi portals, my Messaging would disconnect, but GTalk still thinks it's connected, contacts are listed as "online". It'll stuck like that till I reboot the phone. It'll only reconnect to Skype properly, and the status dot can only be partially filled.
I don't mean to hijack the thread but... I've seen this too, but it also happens with Yahoo and AOL messaging. The phone thinks I'm online for all accounts, but only Skype will really be connected. I have tried manually logging out from each account and back again, but it does not make and difference. A restart lets things connect again, until the next time my network connection changes.
marysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 04:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Used about 5% battery overnight with everything but 2G phone signal off (that's after 10 hours and using DrBattery value). Incredible compared to previous performance! Loving the update (now GuyFromNam's patch seems to have fixed the WiFi issue)!
uptherams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2012, 04:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

this is insane battery performance.

no wifi no data phone can stand by 300 hours!

way to go HP & MEG & TEAM WEBOS
Old 01/02/2012, 09:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Too bad it's the last update
njitipairote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2012, 09:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Who said it was the last update?
Greg Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2012, 09:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
this is insane battery performance.

no wifi no data phone can stand by 300 hours!

way to go HP & MEG & TEAM WEBOS
How did you manage it ? I've kept the phone in standby in similar conditions (no wifi, no data, and also I've 3g permanently off) but the drain is in the order of 0.9 to 1% every hour.
That means at most 110 hours of standby...
mazzinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2012, 12:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
How did you manage it ? I've kept the phone in standby in similar conditions (no wifi, no data, and also I've 3g permanently off) but the drain is in the order of 0.9 to 1% every hour.
That means at most 110 hours of standby...
well i am testing now. i am getting 0.3 drain per hour.

is gps off?

mine is everything off and i am not using the phone.

by the way i am trying my pre2 now and seems to drain faster but i will have to see tomorrow morning.
Old 01/02/2012, 01:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

yep, gps is off (and when I measured the drain, I was not using the phone too)
I think I checked the drain more or less just after the OTA upgrade to 2.2.4

Now instead... kept on the touchstone until around 3:30am ... now is 20:12 ... no calls in between, and I received a sms.

Just looked and it says 90% battery left... that means now is draining 0.6 or a bit less each hour... I suppose that something got calibrated in the days after the OTA. Not bad at all (not 0.3 as you're reporting, but the difference could be due to the signal in the respective areas)
mazzinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2012, 04:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

When I first updated my Pre 3 to 2.2.4 my power consumption was high at idle but after a few days it stabilized and it has very much improved over 2.2.3. I did the Battery Monitor test with my Pre 3 at idle with screen off, GPS on, 4G on and 3 email accounts set to check every 30 minutes. It ended up just using only 0.55 of 1% per hour giving me almost 180 hours of standby time.
Attached Images
File Type: png Pre 3 Battery Test 2.2.4.png (77.3 KB, 80 views) Email Attachment
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2012, 06:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

My case is opposite - had 2.2.3, and 1.5 days of use. Now with 2.2.4 it's more like 0.5 days. Thinking of reverting back to my old Nokia N97 mini...

It's AT&T 4G model on Telstra , Australia

EDIT: I discovered that when "the drain" happens, my phone is off the network although it shows all the proper indicators. Sometimes putting into Aircraft mode and back helps, sometimes only restart. Oh horror. I will doctor and report again...
It might be some patches or Telstra's peculiarities (handovers or something).

Last edited by cubeover; 01/03/2012 at 01:49 AM.
cubeover is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0