Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    cubeover,

I'm the same. Since the update to 2.2.4 I have to charge my pre 3 during the day, as I only get about 8 hours of battery life. With more things on in the past (e.g., GPS on permanently) I used to get about 2 days of battery life before the update. I'm on Tru (who use Optus) in Australia, so I wonder if it's something to do with Australian signal quality?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    signal strength has a lot to do with battery drain or non drain , the phone increases power use when searching for signal , Optus which I'm on varies , GPS is huge drain on any phone especially using nav program.
    I found Skype to drain battery. Going offline helps.
    i suspect battery life maybe better because phone isnt picking up long distant or unwanted wifi signals.
    no it's not the network, mate.
    i inhabit all the same places and see the same coverage quality - it's telstra, after all - they are great.
    certainly the new update.
    i have installed the Disk Cache Mode and System Optimization patches and testing now...
    I'm getting great battery life too. The other day after taking the phone off charge at 7am it was still at 75% by 9pm. I have a femto cell at work which I think helped a lot and am overclocked to 1.7Ghz and undervolted too. Even away from the femtocell the battery life is way better than my Pre2 ever was.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    I also can make it an entire work day on my stock Verizon's pre3 with about 30% at the end of the day vs 10ish before update.

I also had no issues with the update and only got better performance.
    Hi All,

I think my issue was related to allowing the 2.2.0 -> 2.2.4 over the air update to run while I had patches installed. I doctored my Pre3, and put all the patches back on by hand, and now the phone seems to have good battery life again.

Cheers!
    Hi guys, sorry to bring this thread up again, but I'm having a slight issue. I have the HP Pre 3 UK QWERTY model and as soon as I took it out the box I updated it to 2.2.4, however this was a few days ago now and the battery is still as horrendous as before. The battery is fine when I leave it on standby, but when I do small things like check emails, facebook, check text messages etc the battery tends do drop a percent or two. Is this the same with most you guys after the update?

I have pretty much everything turned off such as push emails (set to manual), Facebook to manaul, GPS off and such, but the battery is still awful. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Now i tend to think the issue happens between the new baseband firmware and [ some ] network situations or settings.
  11. vba
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaltrigzer View Post
    Hi guys, sorry to bring this thread up again, but I'm having a slight issue. I have the HP Pre 3 UK QWERTY model and as soon as I took it out the box I updated it to 2.2.4, however this was a few days ago now and the battery is still as horrendous as before. The battery is fine when I leave it on standby, but when I do small things like check emails, facebook, check text messages etc the battery tends do drop a percent or two. Is this the same with most you guys after the update?

I have pretty much everything turned off such as push emails (set to manual), Facebook to manaul, GPS off and such, but the battery is still awful. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    had the same problem with german version, redoctored and started to work wiht fewer patches helped

now battery life is OK

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by V B A View Post
    had the same problem with german version, redoctored and started to work wiht fewer patches helped

now battery life is OK

What is your battery life like? Does it have to be charged every night or does it last longer? I know my old phone would last at least 2 to 3 days so I'd really like the Pre 3 to be the same
    My U.K. Pre3 was great. When not in use (stand by, sleep) the consumption was around 20 to 30 mah.

Suddenly, my processor is spiking and the battery consumption is around a 100 mah. even when its sleeping.

Before that I used to get 2 days out of it (that is a day, a Night, then a day until 6 p.m.)

I tried deleting email accounts, but it didn't help. Also I don't know what caused this, I didn't install something new for a long time!
    Well,

I'm usually doing 2 - 3 days easily if used as a phone ( up to 5 I think ), but there are some times when , after turning on and off the wifi, something hangs and keep polling ( likely the email client ).
    It may be related to when precisely the wifi is turned off, like too close or while an inquiry for new emails is being made...

if that happens, the phone starts draining around 2xxmA and lasts just some hours. everytime it happened, a full restart solved the problem ( not a luna restart... )
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I have a US Verizon Pre3. I've never had a battery last an entire day. It's better than my Pre+ - I had to carry 2 spare batteries to get through a work day on that. With the Pre3 I only need one, and I can usually get enough charger time in a day that I don't have to swap.
    I just checked Dr. Battery and it indicates -420 mA right now, but it's all over the map when I check. How can I figure out what's using all the juice, other than guessing?

16. vba
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    German Pre 3 2.2.4

- gmail sync 15 minutes (e-mail, contacts, calender)
    - 2 G-Only
    - Brightness low as possible

Usage/day:
    - 30-40 e-mail
    - 2,5-3 hours phone calls
    - 20-30 minutes of web browsing
    - 5-10 photos

Battery life: 20-30 hours between charging

If I switch to automatic networking (it means3g if possible) and set e-mail as arrive, I get about 12 hours.

It's quite good compared to other smartphones (iPhone, Androids), but worse than a Blackberry.
    I used to have great battery life on my Pre 3. It's about a month now since the draining began, even though I didn't alter any settings/system files apart from the ones I already had the months before.

-No e-mail sync
    -3G
    -Brightness as low as possible
    -Some internet browsing
    -Some photo taking
    -Some texting and calling
    -A few patches (but I already had them for months)
    -Uberkernel, not overclocked (but I already had Uberkernel for months)

But still I only get about 6 hours of battery life now. The months before the problems started I could easily get 1-2 days.
    I've spotted something that drastically affects the battery life of my Pre3.

If I set the data connection to '3G' instead of 'Auto', the phone will only have phone reception if it can find a 3G signal. What this means is that an area of 2G only coverage will result in no bars of signal and the phone constantly hunting for reception - resulting in battery drain.

If 'Auto' is selected, the phone will switch to 2G when available, thereby saving battery life.

I discovered this when a friend was gloating that his iphone had '2 bars of reception' on the same network as me, when I had a 'no signal' message!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Vistaus likes this.
    That's a nice find checkmate! But it doesn't help in my case. I have it set it to 3G on purpose as when I said it to Auto it only picks up 2G, even in areas where there is 3G. When I set it to 3G then 3G works fine.
  20. vba
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    That's a nice find checkmate! But it doesn't help in my case. I have it set it to 3G on purpose as when I said it to Auto it only picks up 2G, even in areas where there is 3G. When I set it to 3G then 3G works fine.
    In my experience it picks the stronger availible network, if 2g is stronger it picks 2 if 3g it picks 3g.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast