Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By patapoof
  1.    #1  
    we all get box.net and for those who contemplate travel outside the US and might get stuck having to doctor the fone, why not create an app that will make a zip of all the ipk patches and apps we have on our fone and export them to box.net so we could reimport them and reinstall them either on the device or even unzip them on the desktop and reinstall somee or all at will ...now that would be great !!
    p41m3r likes this.
    First.. Preware has this functionality (sort of) already.
    Its called saved package list

Download save restore app from preware.. Backup preware and any other apps you want.

Take that save restore folder and access it through the USB drive or put it on dropbox or box if you like ..

Now all patches , apps and app data are saved.. See my sig for further detailed instructions

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by sketch42; 12/27/2011 at 08:07 PM.
    Yeah, this is some halfass idea we already have well thought out, developed, and documented solutions for.

OP just hasn't really bothered to read threads and investigate.
    Considering this is in the Pre 3 forum - what do you mean we all got box.net?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    Considering this is in the Pre 3 forum - what do you mean we all got box.net?
    I stand corrected, it came with my Touchpad ...I forgot I was in Pre3 land...
  6.    #6  
    History:

On my Palm IIIc there was a thumb like device that plugged into the proprietary port and backed up the whole thing. A hard boot and restore took 5 min and it was back up.

On my IPAQ 3630 there was software called bUseful backup which would with correct configuration back up the entire device (not ROM) to the storage card and restore was around 5 minutes with hard boot.

On my Motorola Razr there was a similar backup which I don't recall details to post.

On my Motorola Motosurf a3100 WM6.1 there were 2 backup items of note. There was a routine called pim-backup that would save/restore all databases either on storage card or desktop. Similarly, there was Sprite backup that would do a whole device backup with all settings and data and apps either to device or desktop or both. With these, 1 click and the whole thing lived again after hard boot.

Now with Pre3 I would like to have this kind of thing. If HP takes out their servers, we need to have individually configured backup. I believe it could be done and it would be to desktop or any other storage one has (i.e. cloud).

That would be great!!
    Sometimes I get confused as well...
  8.    #8  
    I did this but in prescribed directory saved to desktop via USB I did not see any ipk files or other sign of the 171 patches and apps % have most being from preware... I wish for an app to image the whole device for purpose of restoration following EPR or doctor out of contact with HP/Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    First.. Preware has this functionality (sort of) already.
    Its called saved package list

Download save restore app from preware.. Backup preware and any other apps you want.

Take that save restore folder and access it through the USB drive or put it on dropbox or box if you like ..

Now all patches , apps and app data are saved.. See my sig for further detailed instructions

9.    #9  
    found this post on the NEW WebOSBuzz webpage...

"been waiting for something to image whole drive . let me know if you find one.
    bkdg100 Today, 11:50 AM"

I'm not the only one !!
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    found this post on the NEW WebOSBuzz webpage...

"been waiting for something to image whole drive . let me know if you find one.
    bkdg100 Today, 11:50 AM"

I'm not the only one !!
    Great! Start coding. Let us know when you hit alpha.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by snackerdoodle View Post
    Uhm, webOSBuzz is a well-known webOS piracy site. Takes 2 minutes to go beyond the "shiny" new homepage and find that fact out for oneself.

I sure as hell wouldn't advertise here that you're a member or visit that place, especially because they're directly responsible for ripping off what webOS developers are left.
    I didn't know that...
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Great! Start coding. Let us know when you hit alpha.
    Really helpful! Way polite too!

Quote Originally Posted by snackerdoodle
    I sure as hell wouldn't advertise here that you're a member or visit that place...
    You are the one who inadvertently 'advertised' that fact. I, for one, wasnt aware of it, and since it wasnt a link, would not have given thought to checking out an otherwise unimportant quote.

Re the OP, I think there definitely is a need for such an app - even if it only serves the purpose of PIM DB backup (local app backup is understandably a grey area). I use someone's Pre3 and while I like the device (when heavily patched), I doubt I will adopt. The lack of certain apps, this type being among them, is one reason why I'll pass on the platform for daily use. Actually, this in itself represents an entire category of apps that have been overlooked and specific needs that are being ignored.

Its a bit much to get into right now, but local sync, backup and restore are must haves on any platform. Data that can not be entrusted to the cloud need alternate handling and Palm blew it in the early design stages. The nature of the os is one thing but this is no excuse as the competition also have modern, web-centric platforms. Local data handling as well as robust encryption should not be third-party issues to begin w/, but here we are.

As an aside, its mind-boggling that there are businesses today that are looking to Aceeca and Palm OS for solutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post

You are the one who inadvertently 'advertised' that fact. I, for one, wasnt aware of it, and since it wasnt a link, would not have given thought to checking out an otherwise unimportant quote.

Re the OP, I think there definitely is a need for such an app - even if it only serves the purpose of PIM DB backup (local app backup is understandably a grey area). I use someone's Pre3 and while I like the device (when heavily patched), I doubt I will adopt. The lack of certain apps, this type being among them, is one reason why I'll pass on the platform for daily use. Actually, this in itself represents an entire category of apps that have been overlooked and specific needs that are being ignored.

Its a bit much to get into right now, but local sync, backup and restore are must haves on any platform. Data that can not be entrusted to the cloud need alternate handling and Palm blew it in the early design stages. The nature of the os is one thing but this is no excuse as the competition also have modern, web-centric platforms. Local data handling as well as robust encryption should not be third-party issues to begin w/, but here we are.

As an aside, its mind-boggling that there are businesses today that are looking to Aceeca and Palm OS for solutions.
    All the helpful info is already in post 2, but it's only available to those who can read and understand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post

No need to

All valuable information is already in post #2 of this thread, for those willing to learn and capable of reading.

It's called Saved Package List, and is restored using Save & Restore.

But of course, you already knew that, and you're not just whining, same as OP.
    I did this but in prescribed directory saved to desktop via USB I did not see any ipk files or other sign of the 171 patches and apps % have most being from preware... I wish for an app to image the whole device for purpose of restoration following EPR or doctor out of contact with HP/Palm.
    save restore backs up the app data. Not the ipks ... It creates a small zip file with the appropriate locations of all the databases or files/cookies needed to be backed up for each individual program, than backs up those files and zips its up.

For patches there is a folder called org.webosinternals.preware (or something similar) there you'll find a zip, and in that zip has subfolders with the preware patch data of the saved package list.

You don't need the ipk's 'cause we have this thing called internet.