Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    This is my first time ever doctoring by Pre3 (Pre3 from Pre- owner).

There is probably a very simple answer to this....but nevertheless:

I have downloaded the correct WebOS doctor file, but I don't know how to get the file to run. All the instructions (webos internals and forums) say to run WebOS doctor, but how do you do that? What file runs the application? I downloaded the webos doctor zip file and have extracted it. There are a lot of files, but nothing resembling an application file.

Looking for help? Thanks in advance.
    Some basic information - are you running Windows, Mac, or Linux?

I'm assuming Windows, so to run it, you double-click the "Webosdoctor" file. Make sure you have the novacom drivers installed.

Have fun!
  3.    #3  
    Correct, Windows XP. This is where I get lost....there is not a single file named "webosdoctor" in anything I downloaded. Is it something close to that? Sorry, but I need some hand-holding.
  4.    #4  
    Per WebOS Internals:

HP webOS Doctor: http://ws.palm.com/webosdoctor/serialnumberinitial.htm

All HP WebOS Doctor Versions: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

After the download is complete, launch webOS Doctor:<--- How do you launch?

1.Select your language
    2.Accept the license agreement
    3.Connect your device to your PC while in recovery mode via USB and select "Next" when it becomes available
    Quote Originally Posted by calpolykc View Post
    Per WebOS Internals:

HP webOS Doctor: http://ws.palm.com/webosdoctor/serialnumberinitial.htm

All HP WebOS Doctor Versions: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

After the download is complete, launch webOS Doctor:<--- How do you launch?

1.Select your language
    2.Accept the license agreement
    3.Connect your device to your PC while in recovery mode via USB and select "Next" when it becomes available
    Assuming you have java installed (you have to have java installed to run the doctor file), you can just double click on the doctor file - it will be a *.jar file. Or, from the command line, in the directory where the doctor *.jar file is type "java -jar webosdoctorp224mantaverizon-2.2.4.jar" (assuming that 'webosdoctorp224mantaverizon-2.2.4.jar' is the name of your particular doctor[verizon] file.)
    running this version of WebOS Doctor:

version 1.4.1.1 http://downloads.help.palm.com/webos...onwireless.jar

i'm getting stuck, trying to get my computer/the Doc to recognize my phone via USB. it's a Palm Pre Plus / Verizon.

i've tried popping out the battery and connecting it while it's booting up... connected it while i was on the screen that shows you what version it's running and that sort of thing (obtained by tapping emergency call,backspacing 911 and dialing ##786# )...

now on the phone i'm stuck on the "Palm Profile" page, which of course demands that i be signed into a phone provider, and the whole point is i'm trying to activate without a carrier. (so that i can eventually run devicetool.jar ).

i've spent about three days on the various things that ain't working for me on this! java, changing devicetool to .zip then .jar and back again, all kinds of fun stuff. hoping that Doctor will cure all my ills. despite my being on an Apple (Mac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8).

by the way i'm not trying to jailbreak for access to a carrier.
    Per this: How To Recover - WebOS Internals

Especially note Steps 5 and 6 to get into Recovery Mode. If successful, you'll see a big USB symbol on the screen. The phone is then ready to connect to your waiting PC for Doctoring:
    If your PC does not recognize your device and you cannot go past step 3 above, try the following steps:
    1) Disconnect the USB cable
    2) Completely power off the device (hold down the power button until the option to power off appears)
    3) Remove the battery
    4) Connect the USB cable and wait for the battery image to appear on the screen (or wait around 10-15 seconds)
    5) Hold down the Up button on the volume rocker
    6) While holding the Up button, insert the battery. [If it does not power on after inserting the battery, push and hold Power button briefly to turn it on while still holding the Up button.] The USB logo will appear on the screen

7) "Next" should now be enabled - proceed with the recovery
    I find you don't actually have to have it connected while doing steps 5 and 6. Once you see the USB symbol, it will wait until you plug in the cable, just like the computer is waiting to see it get connected in this mode.

It sounds like a lot of extra steps, but they're all easy and make sure that no one does this accidentally. "Oops, I just erased my whole device!"
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I don't think you need to do the long version to get into recovery mode.

Just power down the phone as described but instead of pulling the battery just hold the volume up and power button at the same time. After 10s or so it will go into recovery mode. Attach USB cable and run webOSdoctor.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    I don't think you need to do the long version to get into recovery mode.

Just power down the phone as described but instead of pulling the battery just hold the volume up and power button at the same time. After 10s or so it will go into recovery mode. Attach USB cable and run webOSdoctor.
    I can't recall now which it was (Veer, Pre, 1, 2 or 3) but at least one of them a battery pull was necessary by my own experience. Actually, I think you also had to plug it in to AC. Just turning it off wasn't enough. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I am in need of help

whenever I double-click the .jar file, I get a little black popup that looks like a command prompt and then it closes.

I have the latest version of flash installed and I tried redownloading the file.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krysnosis View Post
    I am in need of help

whenever I double-click the .jar file, I get a little black popup that looks like a command prompt and then it closes.

I have the latest version of flash installed and I tried redownloading the file.
    .jar is a Java executable and has nothing to do with Flash.

Verify Java Version
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    .jar is a Java executable and has nothing to do with Flash.

Verify Java Version
    oh sorry, I meant Java.

I really can't figure out the problem as I have tried to toy around with every option, even extracting the file but I don't know what to do with the files inside, though...
    HI everyone, I'm in the same position than calpolykc. I heard that it wasn't possible to doctor the Pre 3 because it wasn't in the market. But now I see it's possible. I'm with bell and I bought an unlocked pre 3 (with at&t) and I read all your posts and I'm wondering should I download the link 3.2.8.4 Pre 3 from At&T or the 3.2.10.2 Pre 3 Unlock from the site WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals Thx
    Is your device being recognized by your computer?

Do you have the novacom drivers installed?
    Universal Novacom Installer (UNI) v1.3

How about a few more details: what webOS device, what operating system on your computer?
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Is your device being recognized by your computer?

Do you have the novacom drivers installed?
    Universal Novacom Installer (UNI) v1.3

How about a few more details: what webOS device, what operating system on your computer?
    I'm using an AT&T Pre 3 (but it's unlocked) so I downloaded the Doctor 2.2.4 for AT&T, which also matches my serial number. My computer's OS is Windows Vista.

I have read every thread, post and website possible about doctoring. I have the drivers installed, latest version of Java installed, I put my device in that mode with the usb picture on it and the computer says that it has recognized my device as NOVACOM.

The problem is not the doctoring, but opening the file itself. I have tried every solution possible: reinstalling Java, redownloading the file, restarting the computer, etc.

Thank You.
    The problem is not the doctoring, but opening the file itself. I have tried every solution possible: reinstalling Java, redownloading the file, restarting the computer, etc.

Thank You.
    Someone recently posted a strange problem like this too. Somehow the file extension wasn't .JAR I think? Changing it back to .jar did the trick as I recall.

Otherwise, I dunno what to tell you... the Doctor should be a jar file extension and Windows has to have Java associated with that type AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $Unless$ $there$'$s$ $a$ $way$ $to$ $open$ $it$ $manually$ $with$ $the$ $Java$ $engine$.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Someone recently posted a strange problem like this too. Somehow the file extension wasn't .JAR I think? Changing it back to .jar did the trick as I recall.
    I have read numerous posts saying that the fix was renaming the file to end in .jar. Thing is, the file already ends in .jar and I don't really know what to do instead of double-clicking it many times hoping it will magically open or change the "open with..." setting to open with a different Java .exe located in the Computer/Local Disk/Program Files/Java/Java 7 (because the version number is seven. Idk why but the "file created" date is the same as the day I installed it.)

the only other logical solution will be using a different PC, which I do not have, unfortunately
    I am in need of help

Run it from the command prompt. Change to the folder the doctor jar is in. Type "pathtojavabinfolder\java.exe -jar webosdoctorfilename.jar"

If you want to see what error is happening when you double click the jar file, leave off the path to java.exe. If an error is displayed, the prompt will stay open and you can post it message here. If there are spaces on the path to java, put the java in quotes (uh, I think you can do that for an executable name.. May have to edit my post later.. - did you mention what OS and version your computer is running?)
    ananimus likes this.
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    I also still need help (have a Verizon model) - in addition to not being able to figure out how to run the application (instructions above I think will help), I'm stuck on a sky blue screen with a spinning circle. (I didn't have this issue until after I tried to add the Pre 3 to a line; it currently isn't on a line.) I actually ran the battery down on the Pre 3, let it sit for a month, and when I plugged it in, I STILL got the aforementioned screen. Battery pulls haven't solved the problem previously.

On a related note, when you install the webOS doctor, does the phone need to be on a line or can you install webOS doctor on a non-active Pre 3?

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    Okay, I got rid of the "sky blue spinning circle" screen and am on the "HP webOS account" log-in screen. What should I do next?

NOTE: My Pre 3 is not currently on an active line.

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast