webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > how to overclock Pre3 to 1.9GHz
how to overclock Pre3 to 1.9GHz
Like Tree2Likes

Old 12/31/2011, 10:03 AM   #21 (permalink)

I went to the Warthog default profile because Music Player Remix would stutter while I was receiving a text message, email, etc. The profile has a max of 1.4 but the combination of other settings has made everything smoother. Battery life has been awesome since getting my Pre3 (compared to Pre+, Pixi+, Pre2 I had before)

Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
shrxwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 04:15 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
i can understand overclocking the touchpad for some stuff (esp with linux etc) but what apps do you need to overclock your pre3 for?
I dont have time for games so I cant comment there. That, however, may be the only real use, and it will be limited/infrequent at that. I didnt think I 'needed' to oc but I noticed that Internalz and Adobe Reader are snappier at 1.7. Now I wouldnt want to go back to defaults. Its part psychological
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 05:55 PM   #23 (permalink)

still its an increased risk to reducing the phone to a smoking ruin its why im only going to stock lvls or underclocking it for the moment, tho admittedly thats more to save some battery power.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2012, 03:43 AM   #24 (permalink)

The Pre3 is already fast and powerful why does one need the extra clock speed really? I might be able to understand it if more demanding apps were coming for the Pre3 but sadly they are not and I have to say I am much more inclined for more battery life.
Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
dcbo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2012, 04:26 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
still its an increased risk to reducing the phone to a smoking ruin its why im only going to stock lvls or underclocking it for the moment, tho admittedly thats more to save some battery power.
At 1.7GHz and in normal use, the Pre 3's temperature varies from 20 to 35 degrees Celsius (give or take a few degrees in each direction), so I think it's OK. Furthermore, if you don't overclock it and use Freetether for a few hours, for instance, the temperature goes above 50 Celsius in just a couple of minutes.

Now, I have read that over 50 is not a very good "place" to be in, but, due to the nature of my work, I really need to be able to tether.

So, my Pre 3 is at risk even if I don't overclock it (if, of course, what I've read is true).

Regarding battery life, at 1.7GHz the battery life suits me just fine. True, what suits me, may not satisfy others, but, hey, we each live our lives the way we want to... or, at least, that's the idea... :P

In any case, the Pre 3 is very good for my current needs and has that sprinkle of uniqueness, not found in the "sea" of iOS and Android devices that surrounds us. And it's rare, too. But I have to face the fact that my needs will change at some point, so I'll have to switch to another phone. If the Pre 3 lasts until then (max. 2 years, I reckon) - excellent. If not, at least I had one and I have no regrets.
szlaeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ederic likes this.
Old 11/16/2012, 04:23 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by szlaeyer View Post
At 1.7GHz and in normal use, the Pre 3's temperature varies from 20 to 35 degrees Celsius (give or take a few degrees in each direction), so I think it's OK. Furthermore, if you don't overclock it and use Freetether for a few hours, for instance, the temperature goes above 50 Celsius in just a couple of minutes.

Now, I have read that over 50 is not a very good "place" to be in, but, due to the nature of my work, I really need to be able to tether.

So, my Pre 3 is at risk even if I don't overclock it (if, of course, what I've read is true).

Regarding battery life, at 1.7GHz the battery life suits me just fine. True, what suits me, may not satisfy others, but, hey, we each live our lives the way we want to... or, at least, that's the idea... :P

In any case, the Pre 3 is very good for my current needs and has that sprinkle of uniqueness, not found in the "sea" of iOS and Android devices that surrounds us. And it's rare, too. But I have to face the fact that my needs will change at some point, so I'll have to switch to another phone. If the Pre 3 lasts until then (max. 2 years, I reckon) - excellent. If not, at least I had one and I have no regrets.
I was thinking the same thing "not found in the 'sea' of iOS and Android devices that surrounds us. And it's rare, too."

Are you still using the Pre3 and do you still recommend it? I'm considering getting that phone. I've had my first webOS device (Pre Plus) for a short time now and I love it more than my iPhone 4S. Obviously, they both have their pros and cons.
davidsdiego is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0