Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    So a while back I received an AT&T Pre 3, and all was well until lately (I meant to ask this a while ago just never got around to it) but call display no longer works for me
    just comes up as unknown caller/number

    I subscribe to caller ID and always have.. and it worked on my proper Pre 2 Rogers phone...

    Does anyone know why this could be?
  2. letijr's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    So a while back I received an AT&T Pre 3, and all was well until lately (I meant to ask this a while ago just never got around to it) but call display no longer works for me
    just comes up as unknown caller/number

    I subscribe to caller ID and always have.. and it worked on my proper Pre 2 Rogers phone...

    Does anyone know why this could be?
    Sorry mate, you've been contaminated by the Pre 3 Europe version bug... since day 1 I can identify the incoming call numbers on my phone. Many discussions with HP support, they acknowledge the bug as many users have reported it but of course they didn't correct it in the latest/last webOS upgrade.

    You might want to try if something has changed in the regional setting on your phone... I tried all possible combination but never worked, you might be luckier.

    Merry Christmas ;-)
    HP Pre 3 not capable to display names of people calling in
    Touchpad with cracked case
  3. #3  
    It was the same for me.. Until I noticed that the number format has to be: (network code)(number).
  4.    #4  
    thanks for the input guys. I didn't know it was a known problem.. I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything but should just dig a little deeper I guess.

    Odd how it worked when i first got it, but then it started to not work after a short period of time. I'll look through the settings and see what I can find.
  5. #5  
    I have the same problem since day 1 (AT&T Pre3) on Rogers network. My friend and I have the same phone but his running on Telus network and his caller id/name display is working totally fine. We even tried to switch phone to try it out with no luck. '

    The odd thing is anyone who calls from Rogers Network cellphone and Landline it get the caller id/name display work, but peeps on other provider (ie. Telus, Bell etc) I get the unknown name and number (kinda annoying).

    I even called Rogers tech with no result (the tech guy I spoke to was really helpful and tried all the tricks with no such luck) As well I did the regional setting fix on the phone with no luck either. Hopefully it will get fix someday Pre3 is such a good phone
  6.    #6  
    centrino,

    odd because mine doesn't work no matter what. I tried calling from my work rogers phone and it still came up unknown name/number.

    Frustrating problem.
  7. #7  
    Take a look at my post, someone posted a solution that worked for me.
    Here's the link: Caller ID (Name) not recognized
  8. #8  
    No such problems with mine
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by fsanty View Post
    Take a look at my post, someone posted a solution that worked for me.
    Here's the link: Caller ID (Name) not recognized
    I tried this fix as well and it didn't work

Posting Permissions