Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    i dont have to extra funds to invest on a pre 3 on ebay but i did use the hard earned funds to upgrade my pre- to iphone4s. i just discovered this morning how to remove the sim card and wanted to do some experimentation with it. i was wondering if it would be possible to use that sim card on a unlocked pre 3 and work. any body out there willing to give it a shot. if thats the case i will find a way to purchase one on ebay and use it on sprint.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Now thats an interesting question, one that if answered yes, would be awesome! I am likely going to get a 4s as well while I wait the next year or 2 before webOS comes back on supported hardware (hope hope hope!) and if I can do this, would be very cool.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    does the contain any information on it? I always thought CDMA phones had the pertinent radio information on the phone itself
  4.    #4  
    well my understanding was that the pre 3 is a gsm/cdma world phone like the iphone 4s.
    found this, sounds like the same deal Sprint Franken Pre 3? (Verizon??) (and/or GSM)
    also sounds like there are a few different flavors of worldphone.
    No.

There is NO possible method by which you could use any Pre3 on Sprint. The SIM in a sprint iphone4s isn't used for Sprint service. Just like there was no possible way to use any other iPhone on Sprint. Why do people keep thinking this is somehow going to magically become possible? Desperate wishful thinking I guess...
    dignitary likes this.
    not really a need for the 'tude johnson...
    sorry, didn't mean for any bad 'tude tone in that post. I was just trying to sound emphatic so that no one will go off buying a Pre3 thinking they'll somehow find a way to make it work on Sprint, when the possibility is zero. Even illegal methods that can work on some other phones will not work on the Pre3.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Its good to know the facts. Remember, not every thread is seen by every person. I had not seen this specifically discussed before (sim card injection), so now I know. Too bad. Still going to get a 4s me thinks, cause from what I have read as a result of this thread that I can use a Sprint iPhone internationally?
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    I believe that all iPhone4s models are world-phones. You'd have to talk to sprint about exactly what the particulars are. I know with Verizon world phones, the GSM side is sim-locked to Vodafone and you have to get service from them.
    Not sure if its been said, but the Pre3 uses a standard sim card, and the iPhone 4s uses a micro sim. So that's a no go.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Preware is AWESOME!!!!
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smackead View Post
    Not sure if its been said, but the Pre3 uses a standard sim card, and the iPhone 4s uses a micro sim. So that's a no go.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    the sim part of both the pre3 verizon and verizon or sprint iphone are used for the world phone part and have a separate cdma radio.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I believe that all iPhone4s models are world-phones. You'd have to talk to sprint about exactly what the particulars are. I know with Verizon world phones, the GSM side is sim-locked to Vodafone and you have to get service from them.
    U have to speak to speak to sprint and they will unlock your iPhone for international use only. Once unlocked u can simply put a micro sim from whatever country u r in and start using that service. How ever this will not work on domestic sim cards in the u.s. it is still unclear if that would be the case after the 2 year contract expires.
  15.    #15  
    sorry, didn't mean for any bad 'tude tone in that post. I was just trying to sound emphatic so that no one will go off buying a Pre3 thinking they'll somehow find a way to make it work on Sprint, when the possibility is zero. Even illegal methods that can work on some other phones will not work on the Pre3.
    No where in this thread am I suggesting to go buy a pre 3 to this. It's simply me just wondering and being curios because of the fact that my iPhone has a micro sim for
    Sprint. I also know the phone works without the sim card in it. I'm just curios to know why it has the sim from sprint to begin with and if it would allow u to place it in any unlocked world phone and work( specifically a pre3).
    As stated above (and further evidenced by the fact that you don't need the sim to work in US) the sim is for world purposes only and is not necessary, or even applicable with Sprint.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by mtv757 View Post
    No where in this thread am I suggesting to go buy a pre 3 to this. It's simply me just wondering and being curios because of the fact that my iPhone has a micro sim for
    Sprint. I also know the phone works without the sim card in it. I'm just curios to know why it has the sim from sprint to begin with and if it would allow u to place it in any unlocked world phone and work( specifically a pre3).
    No where other than the first post, where you explicitly said "if thats the case i will find a way to purchase one on ebay and use it on sprint.". However, as to your curiosity about why a Spint iPhone4s has a SIM, I trust it has been sated.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    so if Sprint is going LTE for their 4G network, San Diego will have the coverage in April, will we be any closer to using the pre 3 or still no joy? I assume the ATT 4G LTE is and Pre 3 is LTE compliant.
    no, the pre3 does not have LTE. Only CDMA (vzw) and GSM/UMTS/HSPA (ATT and everyone else).
    no, the pre3 does not have LTE. Only CDMA (vzw) and GSM/UMTS/HSPA (ATT and everyone else).
    No, there are also Pre 3 4G-units in the wild.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast