Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    No, there are also Pre 3 4G-units in the wild.
    you mean the ones in the AT&T boxes that say 4G on them? Those are 3G or what is called fauxG (UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+). Or do you mean there are actually some true LTE Pre3's floating around? If so this the first place I've ever seen mention of it. Even then though, they STILL wouldn't work on Sprint. Sorry.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    if you go to ebay, you will see 4g pre 3s for sale. On the att box it clearly states 4g. What does this mean if it is not lte? BRAND NEW UNLOCKED HP PALM PRE 3 4G SMARTPHONE 16GB SEALED IN BOX PRE3 (0886111711512) | eBay.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Att version is the only one with 4g capabilities. Only. On ATT only.
    Vistaus likes this.
    There are actually some real LTE-ones. Didn't say they work on Sprint, I have no experience with Sprint as I don't live in the USA, but there are some real LTE-ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by settelma View Post
    if you go to ebay, you will see 4g pre 3s for sale. On the att box it clearly states 4g. What does this mean if it is not lte? BRAND NEW UNLOCKED HP PALM PRE 3 4G SMARTPHONE 16GB SEALED IN BOX PRE3 (0886111711512) | eBay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
    Att version is the only one with 4g capabilities. Only. On ATT only.
    AT&T 4G isn't 4G. It's super-3G (or 3.5G, fauxG, or whatever else you care to call it). AT&T does actually have some 'real' 4G now that they are rolling out LTE in a few markets. There are some that argue that LTE still isn't true 4G either, but I won't claim to understand the fine points of such arguments; someone is clearly trying to split some very fine hairs, as the industry generally seems to agree that LTE is 4G, and everyone deploying it is calling it 4G.

In fact I don't really care whether AT&T calls their HSPA+ 3G service "4G" or not, but it does create confusion when there is more than one type of service in the market being called "4G". The confusion is only mutliplied when AT&T itself calls 2 completely different services "4G". When watching their new commercials touting their new wonderful 4G services, I wonder what they do with all those HSPA+ 3G phones that have "4G" stamped on the boxes. How do they explain that was all just marketing b.s., but the NEW 4G is the real thing this time?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Thanks for the clarification. A friend of mine has a pre 3 and I got to play with it a little and boy is it nice. I just don't want to leave my carrier now and since they will also be deploying LTE 4G network, I will have to decide hat my next phone will be when my Franken pre 2 dies.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12