webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > WiFi on Pre 3 after 2.2.4 update?
WiFi on Pre 3 after 2.2.4 update?
Like Tree9Likes

Old 12/22/2011, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

I updated my Verizon Pre 3 to 2.2.4 OTA the other day (actually, it more or less updated itself).

Everything seems ok (the same, actually), except my WiFi reception is screwy. I will get 1-2 bars in the same locations that I had a full signal (both in my house and at my office) and in the same locations that my Touchpad and my fiancee's iPhone are getting a full signal. At one bar of WiFi signal, the connection eventually gets very slow, and it is as if it degrades over time. As a result, it seems like it is an actual reception issue post update, rather than a change in how it is calculating the signal strength.

Nothing else has changed with the network setups in either location.

Anyone else seeing this? Any ideas on a fix?

I'd prefer not to go through the hassle of doctoring the phone, since the restoration process is typically a pain for me. I fear that will be necessary, but hope not.

Thanks in advance.
MikeElmendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: delbois
Old 12/22/2011, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

European pre3 here.

as far as I can see, the feeling I get from the wifi is the same as before (but I'm using it practically with a single wifi router), and the signal drops more or less once moving in a certain room, as before.

I noticed some glitches connecting this morning, when I turned on again the wifi, but dunno if it was due to the upgrade or due to something in the router - traffic - whatever.
mazzinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Agreed. VZW Pre3 2.2.4 here, WiFi reception is worse than before.
drewpydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by truongtuananhhau1 likes this.
Old 12/22/2011, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Have you tried doctoring? Did it make a difference?
Old 12/22/2011, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Since 2.2.4 I'm noticing WiFi problems, too. EU unlocked Pre 3. But only with the AP at my girlfriend's apartment. Has been working completely flawless with 2.2.0. Must be one of these obscure incompatibilities that occur with some WiFi configurations. I hope it gets fixed again!
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

No I didn't doctor, just did OTA. Doctoring is such a PITA, I'll deal with a little flaky WiFi. Side note Mike, wonder if 2.2.4 fixes the GSM side of the phone so we can use other SIM cards?
Old 12/22/2011, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Verizon Pre3 - OTA updated yesterday. Wifi reception is the same but stays connected more consistently. Are you guys running any patches?
pdch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdch View Post
Verizon Pre3 - OTA updated yesterday. Wifi reception is the same but stays connected more consistently. Are you guys running any patches?
Personally only a very minimum amount :

Muffle System Logging
Quiet powerd Messages
Remove Dropped Packet Logging
Unthrottle Download Manager
mazzinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 12:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

EU unlocked Pre3 here, nothing to report. It's definitely a patches issue. Someone reported earlier a bug after the update that has been solved by unstaliing some patches. Search the forum.
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
EU unlocked Pre3 here, nothing to report. It's definitely a patches issue. Someone reported earlier a bug after the update that has been solved by unstaliing some patches. Search the forum.
mine was unpatched when I posted earlier - now its fully patched up and I will retest.
Old 12/22/2011, 01:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

On VZW and slight doctoring (just a couple of patches related to logging, display). My WIFI degrades and will spontaneously disconnect and reconnect. Have restarted and redoctored. All the same.
excimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 01:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

at&t Pre 3 and wifi performance unchanged after update, works fine.
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 02:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

at&t Pre 3 on 2.2.4
No noticeable wi-fi difference. Will keep an eye out for any change.
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 04:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Not sure if I wish to update with potential European Pre 3 issues. How is it done in case I change my mind?
Paulscarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 04:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Got an UK and ATT Pre3. Both running the ATT software. The UK Pre3 definitely had some issues where the WiFi would degrade and I think the same for the ATT one. After updating the patches, things seem a little more stable but I'll have to keep an eye on these. I'll report back if degradation continues.
zfrogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 05:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfrogz View Post
Got an UK and ATT Pre3. Both running the ATT software. The UK Pre3 definitely had some issues where the WiFi would degrade and I think the same for the ATT one. After updating the patches, things seem a little more stable but I'll have to keep an eye on these. I'll report back if degradation continues.

what patchs did you update to improve degraded wifi ?????
WebOSMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 05:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

after doctoring to 2.2.4 i find weirdly enough that when the "phone" is enabled, my wifi drops to 1-2 bars signal and chops off now and then, when i turn the phone off, my wifi bangs back out at full strength.

bit weird that.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 05:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Drewpy - I'd be happy if it now worked on GSM, period. It really doesn't--it has TERRIBLE reception when roaming internationally. Totally intermittent and basically unusable. Very disappointing.

I've tried shuffling patches around and nothing makes a difference. What Peter describes is exactly what is happening to me.

I hope there's a fix....
Old 12/22/2011, 07:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

i just looked at my att locked phone and saw I had no wifi signal. Picked it up and nothing. On edge.

turn wifi off and on then get full wifi signal!!????????????????
WebOSMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 09:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

With Save/Restore and just the range that the Palm Backup has now, Doctoring is such an easy thing. I was having WiFi issues after the OTA along with no patches coming through. I just said forget it and doctored. The thing is better now.
Accessories
-5 Touchstones for phones & Touchpad
bnceo is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0