Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    other wifi (obvious to me) diferences between the two webos version (vzw doctors)
    /usr/bin/PMWiFiService,which seem to be a binary so I don't know if there is a significant thing in it.
    /usr/lib/ipkg/info/pmwifiservice.control, which lists PMWifiService as bigger in 2.2.4 (see changes in pmwifiservice.control 2.2.3 vs 2.2.4 - Pastebin.com )
    i just got Pre3 off ebay, already upgraded to 2.2.4 so I cant compare between the two versions. Compared to my pre plus that I had before though, wireless is crap, even in the same room as the AP.

The only patch I have installed is the patch for wireless, and it hasnt done anything. Also no govnah, kernel or anything - the pre3 is almost stock with the exclusion of a handful of games and apps moved through backup and save & restore.

The problems are really evident in browsing, as pages time out or you get the loading thingy going around endlessly. Browsing with 3G is without any problems. My ipod and laptop work fine in the same areas I try the pre3.

Preware is also problematic, as I get 404 errors or general IPKG errors which seem to indicate that transfer was interrupted. I havent managed to install anything.

Should I doctor? if so, should I doctor to 2.2.4 or 2.2.3?

Pre3 EU version btw - Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manic View Post
    i just got Pre3 off ebay, already upgraded to 2.2.4 so I cant compare between the two versions. Compared to my pre plus that I had before though, wireless is crap, even in the same room as the AP.

The only patch I have installed is the patch for wireless, and it hasnt done anything. Also no govnah, kernel or anything - the pre3 is almost stock with the exclusion of a handful of games and apps moved through backup and save & restore.

The problems are really evident in browsing, as pages time out or you get the loading thingy going around endlessly. Browsing with 3G is without any problems. My ipod and laptop work fine in the same areas I try the pre3.

Preware is also problematic, as I get 404 errors or general IPKG errors which seem to indicate that transfer was interrupted. I havent managed to install anything.

Should I doctor? if so, should I doctor to 2.2.4 or 2.2.3?

Pre3 EU version btw - Thanks!!
    unplug your router, wait 1 minute, plug it back in, worked for me !!
    Wi-fi is really starting to annoy me on my Pre3 now. I installed the patch mentioned earlier & it is an improvement, but still not brilliant. For instance, the icon will show 1 bar of wifi strength, but if I look for networks via the top menu, the network I'm actually connected to shows 2-3 bars! Why?? Yesterday I held my phone against the router & still couldn't get it to go above one bar.

Often all websites refuse to load, just sticking on the spinning symbol, then after I disconnect & reconnect, they all load fine.

As everyone else has said, 3G has no issues at all. Why can my pre pick up a signal miles away better than one that is inches away??
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Wi-fi is really starting to annoy me on my Pre3 now. I installed the patch mentioned earlier & it is an improvement, but still not brilliant. For instance, the icon will show 1 bar of wifi strength, but if I look for networks via the top menu, the network I'm actually connected to shows 2-3 bars! Why?? Yesterday I held my phone against the router & still couldn't get it to go above one bar.

Often all websites refuse to load, just sticking on the spinning symbol, then after I disconnect & reconnect, they all load fine.

As everyone else has said, 3G has no issues at all. Why can my pre pick up a signal miles away better than one that is inches away??
    I am in wifi conundrum territory ...I try to use it 25 feet away in livingroom and it is pegged and full speed downloads work fine ...then I go to kitchen another 15 feet away and it's dead ...next day I can't get any wifi in livingroom, in kitchen it takes its time but finally connects and works fine ...I remove the patch and it still works ...I go there again later, not working ...bars jump up and down (like me) and further, of interest, there are unsecured wifi sites showing around my home from neighbors and my pre3 will NOT connect to them even when their strength is high ...what is this?
    Had quite a bit of issues connecting to the wifi.. which used to work..
    If I use wpa2 or WPA the phone does not seem to resolve websites.. connect
    I have used the patch. nogo
    though a ping works fine.. from the phone

Changing to unprotected/no security.. lets the wifi work fine
    Hi guys, this is my experience with pre 3 european version
    2.2.4 = wifi crap
    2.2.4 + preware patch for wifi = wifi crap
    rollback to 2.2.0 = I have wifi again....
    All in all, this whole situation is a bit random...

some people have issues after moving to 2.2.4 ( both for EU and american models ), others have no such issues instead.
    It would maybe help to research the problem, knowing the brand and chipset used in the wifi associated routers, imo ( and I assume that all the pre3 use the same wifi chipset, as in same model, release and production batch. If so, could maybe be a different production batch that is slightly less perfect and produces the reported issue in combination with different parameters and different executables or drivers )

It could be ( note that I'm just musing ) that with 2.2.4 the wifi chip is being used more aggressively ( as in the power saving features ) to lower the power used to keep up and operate the connection. And it could be ( again musing ) that a batch of chips is not properly operating with such aggressive usage.

I do really wonder if this could be the case
    Quote Originally Posted by the gold bug View Post
    Hi guys, this is my experience with pre 3 european version
    2.2.4 = wifi crap
    2.2.4 + preware patch for wifi = wifi crap
    rollback to 2.2.0 = I have wifi again....
    to ask someone (maybe guyfromnam who has put up the 2.2.4 back to 2.2.3 wifi patches) if there is any use to creation of a "2.2.4 back to 2.2.0 patch" ... at least to try it out...
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    to ask someone (maybe guyfromnam who has put up the 2.2.4 back to 2.2.3 wifi patches) if there is any use to creation of a "2.2.4 back to 2.2.0 patch" ... at least to try it out...
    My patch just touches one file which has changed since 2.2.3.
    All prior versions of this file are identical (since 1.4.5).

It's a YMMV patch and I have no idea what it does.
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:26 PM.
    I've noticed something that might be important in sorting this issue. I'm currently on holiday in the French Alps & generally have no phone reception. Whenever I have the "check SIM - SOS Only" message showing, WiFi seems to work absolutely flawlessly!

However, the moment I found a pocket of phone reception (roaming, obviously), the WiFi starting playing up again. It seems the two radios may be linked somehow?
    This only seems to affect Wifi browsing with the web browser.. I use sea bird (rss reader) and preware with WiFi and no problems at all. Browsing though is a pain, but only in Wifi. using 3G is consistent browsing albeit at lower speeds, with no endless loading etc.
    This is just an attempt to summarise some testing I did on this issue, with a view to wrapping up my observations.

I'm testing on a Euro (UK) Pre3 running 2.2.4. The WiFi performance has been consistently poor.

My testing consists of two scenarios:

A) I stream a video from youtube and note if it stalls and how often.
    B) I ping the Pre3 from another machine using a script that counts the success/fail rate and reports a "figure of merit" based on the good/bad ratio. (For example my 2009 era iPhone 3G scores 100% on this test, my stock Pre3 score about 30%…)

1) Firstly, the guyfromnam patch to rollback the wifi config to be more 2.2.like.

This *does not* work for me, though I understand that it works for others. The patch changes the retry period and the backoff-cutoff period, in essence. I also tried the combinations of backoff-cutoff only changed, or retry only changed. And a handful variants with the periods set differently.

No robust improvement was measured, so at least for my environment this patch does not help.

2) I heard rumours it may be DHCP related, so I set a fixed IP on the phone. Again, did not help.

3) Some suggested that the phone and wifi radios might be interacting and that turing off the phone made the wifi better.
    The first time I tried this, the wifi went to 100% good - for about 5 minutes, then went back to the normal poor level. All other tests were uniformly poor.

But just for those few minutes I really thought it was working…

4) In a similar thread discussing issues with TP wifi it was indicated that it was sensitive to the router being used.
    I'm using a BT Homehub 2.0 A model, which generally works OK with the devices I have (laptops, iPhones etc.)

Dug out an old ADSL router (origin uncertain) and reconfigured it to work just as an extra AP on a different SSID so that I can chose between them (the Homehub is still the ADSL modem) and hooked that up.

With the new AP selected, the Pre3 scores about 96%, with the Homehub selected it still scores about 30% ~ 40%.

For my needs, 96% is good enough, so I'm fine for now, at least when using the Pre3 at home…

SUMMARY:

In my case, it looks like the phone and the router don't like each other. None of the other tweaks brought any benefit in my home environment.

So, that's what it is.
    Hope this info is useful to somebody…
    Damn, I have a Homehub 3. No wonder my WiFi is consistently bad on the Pre3.

Glad there's at least a *little* progress on this issue.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Strange. My Pre 3 works reliably with every router it knows, which includes 2 versions of BT's own brand, a recent top end Netgear, a cable modem/router, and two different versions of high-end kit at my company. These are all reasonably "clean" environments.
    I wonder if the problems are in environments with a number of other fairly strong signals on the same or adjacent channels? If you can, it might be worth changing the channel on a router and see if that makes a difference. I have an Edimax plug-in device for my PC that has very full diagnostics including signal strengths and channels for all routers broadcasting, and I have used it to put my routers at home onto the channels as far away from the others around as possible.
    The Pre 3 also seems to work best on 802.11n (one of the reasons I prefer it to the Pre 2).
    Quote Originally Posted by kupfernigk View Post
    Strange. My Pre 3 works reliably with every router it knows, which includes 2 versions of BT's own brand, a recent top end Netgear, a cable modem/router, and two different versions of high-end kit at my company. These are all reasonably "clean" environments.
    I wonder if the problems are in environments with a number of other fairly strong signals on the same or adjacent channels? If you can, it might be worth changing the channel on a router and see if that makes a difference. I have an Edimax plug-in device for my PC that has very full diagnostics including signal strengths and channels for all routers broadcasting, and I have used it to put my routers at home onto the channels as far away from the others around as possible.
    The Pre 3 also seems to work best on 802.11n (one of the reasons I prefer it to the Pre 2).
    OK... that's odd then, at least to me; that's pretty much the opposite of what I found... I can't get reliable operation on .11n with any router, but if I use the "cheapo" no-name router set to b+g it seems pretty solid.

The environment RF-wise out here is not too bad, I'm pretty well out in the sticks and most of the neighbours are older folks, that I'm not sure they even know what wireless is, or they think it's what the listen to the Queen's speech on each Christmas...

So, the nearest neighbour, they have a BT Homehub3 (running 11n I think) which I see pretty strongly, but otherwise the channels are pretty clear, and I walked through the band during testing to see if it helped much - it didn't.

I currently have the two routers that I have active set to 1 and 11, so they are well apart, and the channels seem to be pretty free of other activity (heating food in the microwave notwithstanding!)

I don't think it is signal strength, as a result. (Though it must be a factor - the Pre certainly seems less able to hold onto a signal at the far end of the house, as compared to an iPhone 3G..)

I do wonder if the Pre is sensitive to protocol timings in some way? I've seen reports elsewhere of folk suggesting that changing the beacon interval on their routers helped (though that's not easily changed on the BT HH 2, and my other, working, router has the interval set to 100, which is a pretty common default AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $so$ $YMMV$...)

Anyway, it's been real solid the last few days, so I'm mostly happy now.

My current recommendation (for what that's worth!) - if it is not working for you, try setting up an alternate AP using a different router model and see if it makes any difference - you never know, and it worked for me!

And get something older and cheaper - you can probably pick something up real cheap!.
    The new ones are too locked down, if you need to change anything!
    I went to a friend's house a few nights back & their router (which I didn't get the brand of) seemed to work utterly flawlessly with my Pre3. It was like having a newer, faster phone! No constant searching 'circle', just quick reliable WiFi every time.

Back to my HomeHub (which is on Infinity fibre optic at 78mbs by the way) and its patchy & unreliable again! Grrr
    For whatever it is worth, here in the US on Verizon, running a 2.2.4 version on the Pre3, it works flawlessly on my home wifi connection as well as others that I connect to with it. Tough luck UK chaps.
    FWIW, I just got a VZW Pre 3 and seemed to have some issues with my wifi compared to my Pre 2. I noticed that the phone was set to "world mode" instead of "cdma mode". After I changed it, it seems that my wifi is much more reliable and shows a stronger signal. I don't know if this even makes any sense but it seemed to help.
    Kayphoonstar,

Where I can find this "world mode / CDMA mode"?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast