Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Did the same changes apply to Pre2 also with 2.2.4?
    I experience a problem where if I leave the phone with the wi-fi on and I check it after a period of time, sometimes I see that when I "wake" the phone the wifi has no signal and tries to re-connect. I don't have signal issues when I use it or disconnections, so I don't know if it's the same problem as most people in this topic seem to have. For me it happens only if the phone sits idle.
    Any views on this GuyFromNam?
    This wifi conf file has been changed for Pre 2 as well.
    I've submitted an updated version for both Pre 2 and Pre 3 as the patch is identical.
    For now, you can just install the Pre 3 version in Preware.
    Again: YMMV. I don't know the first thing about wifi or conf files.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Yeah, yeah. You'll hear from my lawyers if something goes bad.

Will test, thanks.
    Yeah, yeah. You'll hear from my lawyers if something goes bad.

Will test, thanks.
    LOL impossible with this patch. It's just a dumb, simple patch.
    Hey Guy (and anyone else that may provide feedback...)

I have an AT&T Pre 3 and the latest OTA update originally installed it self which caused my phone to endlessly reboot, so I had to use webOS Doctor to get it running again.

Unfortunately, ever since that happened it seems like I am having similar issues as others are experiencing with WiFi and the latest OTA update. However, in my situation the WiFi does not want to reconnect after waking from "sleep" or if I wander out of my home wireless network area it will not automatically reconnect when I am back within range. The only way for me to resolve this issue is to turn off my wireless and then turn back on. Which is a pain in the *** to remember to do everytime. And I want to use wireless since I have a limited data plan.

Anyways, I installed your patch to see if it would resolve the issue I am currently having but i havent noticed any change in behaviour.

Is anyone else having the same sort of issue in regards to WiFi not automatically reconnecting?

Thanks for your feedback!
    Quote Originally Posted by roujinz View Post
    Unfortunately, ever since that happened it seems like I am having similar issues as others are experiencing with WiFi and the latest OTA update. However, in my situation the WiFi does not want to reconnect after waking from "sleep" or if I wander out of my home wireless network area it will not automatically reconnect when I am back within range. The only way for me to resolve this issue is to turn off my wireless and then turn back on. !
    I'm not having the issue you describe, but I would try deleting and then re-doing your wireless network profiles. See if that works.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayteeee View Post
    I'm not having the issue you describe, but I would try deleting and then re-doing your wireless network profiles. See if that works.
    Interesting you said that cuz I had to delete them and redo them a few weeks ago when I could no longer get/receive email on the Touchpad ...the redo did the trick and email worked fine thereafter...
    Only WiFi related problem I have after 224 update is, that my mobile hotspot is not working anymore.

It starts fine on Pre3, but if I try to connect from i.e. Touchpad (or Laptop or iPad2) it just says "cannot connect" or "connection failed" or whatever (depends on the device from which i try).
    Encryption or not, different settings in the "extended settings" etc ... tried everything, sadly to no avail.

Any suggestions?
    tia
    Harry
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Anyways, I installed your patch to see if it would resolve the issue I am currently having but i havent noticed any change in behaviour.
    Sorry, I have no knowledge whatsoever about WiFi conf files.
    I just figured if they changed the file for the first time ever, it wouldnt hurt to roll it back and see if that fixes anything for some users.
    Other than that, I have no answers or feedback. Sorry.
    maybe try free teathering app?? Dunno if that is better ...just saw it exists...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Only WiFi related problem I have after 224 update is, that my mobile hotspot is not working anymore.

It starts fine on Pre3, but if I try to connect from i.e. Touchpad (or Laptop or iPad2) it just says "cannot connect" or "connection failed" or whatever (depends on the device from which i try).
    Encryption or not, different settings in the "extended settings" etc ... tried everything, sadly to no avail.

Any suggestions?
    tia
    Harry
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    LOL impossible with this patch. It's just a dumb, simple patch.
    A dumb, simple patch that solved my problem. I've had it for 3 days now and I didn't see any disconnections when the phone was idle.
    I'll continue to check it, but it seems the problem disappeared.
    Thanks GFN
    Wi-Fi has def improved after applying GFN's patch it's still intermittant, but I find that locking and unlocking the screen boosts the wi-fi signal performance.

In terms of mobile hotspot, mine is fine, but I suspect that operabillity depends a LOT on the data plan you have. With my GSM UK pre on O2, (who had huge data issues arround iphone usage) with an unlimited data plan, getting the hotspot to allow any data transfer was a huge effort in patching, and so on. With the pre3 on vodafone, with a limited data plan, the hotspot works fine out of the box.

The app itself warns that you need to have an appropriate data plan from your carrier for it to work succesfully!.
    My Palm Pre is tweakalicious! - Your iPhone is tweakaphobic!
    Did the same changes apply to Pre2 also with 2.2.4?
    I experience a problem where if I leave the phone with the wi-fi on and I check it after a period of time, sometimes I see that when I "wake" the phone the wifi has no signal and tries to re-connect. I don't have signal issues when I use it or disconnections, so I don't know if it's the same problem as most people in this topic seem to have. For me it happens only if the phone sits idle.
    Any views on this GuyFromNam?
    huh... Some how I overlooked your post which basically describes my issue, but with less details. ;-)

my wife is the primary user of the phone so I can't say for certain if Guy's patch worked or not, although I think it may have helped. But I have noticed that I may be also having a wireless router issue, so I bought a new one but have yet to install it. I'll keep checking the WiFi issue once I replace my router.

oh, I also noticed that changing the option for the WiFi to turn off during sleep or to stay on during sleep seems to have some weird effect of doing the opposite of what it says it does....but I only messed with that setting for a minute or so.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    oh, I also noticed that changing the option for the WiFi to turn off during sleep or to stay on during sleep seems to have some weird effect of doing the opposite of what it says it does....but I only messed with that setting for a minute or so.
    Testing this theory (as it kinda makes sense to me) so far patch did not help (and killed touch-2-share1) and the remaking Profiles also did not seem to have an effect.

1 Issue recended was not recreatable after discussion
    Last edited by MiDoJo; 01/19/2012 at 03:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    Testing this theory (as it kinda makes sense to me) so far patch did not help (and killed touch-2-share) and the remaking Profiles also did not seem to have an effect.
    Sorry, if you're claiming my patch killed your touch2share, that's utterly ridiculous, completely irresponsible, and immensely unfounded.

For the record, as stated before and easy to get for anyone taking the time to read, this patch touches one file, and restores the 2.2.3 version. Just assuming you had T2T in 2.2.3, your assumption is impossible. This WiFi conf file patch doesn't come anyway near something as sophisticated as T2T functionality, for the simple reason that I have no idea how to do that.
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 01/19/2012 at 03:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    My unlocked AT&T Pre 3 with the WiFi patch fixed the connection issues that occurred after the 2.2.4 update and touch to share function still works.
    HP Pre 3 16GB AT&T
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Sorry, if you're claiming my patch killed your touch2share, that's utterly ridiculous, completely irresponsible, and immensely unfounded.

it wasn't my intent to suggest anything of the sort only that with the wifi fix patch + my vzw pre3 touch to share registered (glowy lights on touchpad) but refused to send in either direction, once removed t2s worked again. I was more assuming that the difference had to do with the verizon part of it not the patch (i.e. is there a difference between the ROW/At&T wifi package 2.2.3 and the VZW one 2.2.3 that maybe caused the lack of complete handshake)
    I think you overreacted a bit, and passed over the fact that (more so over) I stopped using the patch because I still had the microsecond wifi disconnects

it wasn't my intent to suggest anything of the sort only that with the wifi fix patch + my vzw pre3 touch to share registered (glowy lights on touchpad) but refused to send in either direction, once removed t2s worked again. I was more assuming that the difference had to do with the verizon part of it not the patch (i.e. is there a difference between the ROW/At&T wifi package 2.2.3 and the VZW one 2.2.3 that maybe caused the lack of complete handshake)
    I think you overreacted a bit, and passed over the fact that (more so over) I stopped using the patch because I still had the microsecond wifi disconnects
    Perhaps you should pick your words more carefully, as frankly, it's still not very clear what you're trying to say.

I always stay clear of mentioning two completely unrelated functions and/or bugs in one post, for fear of implying something I know way too little about to back up.

Then again, if Preware makes phones explode and UnixPsycho caused the BP oil spill, I guess my dumb simple patch could mess with your T2S.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I like the on topic, keeping to the facts and the gentle and kind tone in the last couple of posts. Have a Great Day everybody!
    -Unlocked Pre3 QWERTY from Palm Eurostore
    Activated on German app catalog including Payed Apps with wirecard.com
    -TouchPad from EBay using German app catalog
    German App Cataloge including Payed Apps with wirecard.com
    -HP Veer QWERTZ from MediaMarkt in Germany as backup/tehtering device
    Activated on German app catalog with Impostah including Payed Apps with wirecard.com
    -German O2 Pre- testing 2.2.4 WiFi only profile
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Um, I think you are being very harsh in you criticism of my mention of a (to me) related issue in that 1) with the fix patch installed on my pre3 TTS did not send/receive 2) without the patch it did. I've looked at your patch, even before I tested (even before it was in Preware feed) it I'd opened it in notepad++ to see what it did.
    The issued with T2S I had was with 3.04 TP and 2.2.4 Pre3
    Do I know why the difference in t2s happened? no. Did i mean to have insinuated that this patch was malicious? No, and as soon as you mentioned that you didn't think it was related I willingly made concession.
    I have since reapplied the patch and tested against a 2.2.4 and 3.0.5 pairing and could not recreate the issue. (however my Wifi is still not better and I still have microsecond drops from Wifi networks)

To equate my valid bug report (which may not have panned out after all but it was worth the mention in case it actually was an issue) with "Preware makes phones explode and UnixPsycho caused the BP oil spill" is offensive and pejorative.

Come on, dude, understand the difference between a valid (if sparse) report and your equation.
    Finally, i've edited my original post so it no longer reads this as an issue with the patch, now in deference to others in this thread, lets get back to figuring out the wifi.

To equate my valid bug report (which may not have panned out after all but it was worth the mention in case it actually was an issue) with "Preware makes phones explode and UnixPsycho caused the BP oil spill" is offensive and pejorative.
    Not at all. These are classic webOS jokes!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast