Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    me joining the group, after keeping an eye on this for a few days.

something like this seems to be the case, me thinks.

Other than others I experience no differences in the display of the signal strength (and I wouldn´t care about if it just worked). It´s just that the connection is lost, seemingly without even the Pre knowing about it. My Pre sits on his TS whole day long right in front of me and used to be connected to my office´s WLAN (three bars, that is).

Now, after the update, when I pick it up and do something for which it should use WLAN, i.e. updating feeds, it just gives me the circle forever. Only disconnecting and re-connecting solves the problem, the Pre running on WLAN connection as if nothing had happenend. Bad thing about is that there isn´t even anything you could check for, i.e. with MS.

@andresigno: tap "open" with InternalZ and then "install patch".

@GuyFromNam: I´d try your patch, but how do I revert back to the orginal state?
    Maybe I can reply to the last question.
    The file being patched - changed to the 2.2.3 version is just a text file containing configuration instructions.

Just copy it (you can add .2.2.4 at the end) in the media/internal or in a subdir you make there. If needed, you can simply copy it back and restart the device
    Wrong. Shut up

Just install and remove with webos quickinstall.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Has anyone tried using the 2.2.3 WiFi conf file instead, see if that fixes anything.
    It's under 'etc'.

EDIT:
    Attached is a patch to roll back the PmWiFiDhclient.conf back to version 2.2.3.
    I have absolutely no idea if this can fix anything, but a quick visual compare between WiFi related files in both Doctors showed differences in this file. My view may, and in all likelihood is, overly simplistic. The tone in which you prefer to confirm this, is entirely up to you though (I may in return bite off your head )

Anyone feel free to test and trash it. If it doesn't work, please report this post and have a moderator remove the patch.
    Pls observe the usual disclaimer.
    I applied the patch. The behavior changed dramatically, it works now, and I can have Skype video calls.
    Althought it's solved, my perception is that Pre3 is not good on Wifi connections, compared to HP Veer or previous WinMobile phone from 2006.
    Quote Originally Posted by andresigno View Post
    I applied the patch. The behavior changed dramatically, it works now, and I can have Skype video calls.
    Althought it's solved, my perception is that Pre3 is not good on Wifi connections, compared to HP Veer or previous WinMobile phone from 2006.
    It could be coincidence of course.
    Perhaps others can confirm.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Question Is everyone having this issue on a Wireless-G or are there some experiencing this on Wireless-N? (My N at work seems not to bother as much (if at all) while my G at home is constantly losing connection)
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    @GuyFromNam can you try a patch that only changes
    Code:
    @@ -18,7 +18,6 @@
     retry 30;
     reboot 10;
     initial-interval 1;
    -backoff-cutoff 4;
     script "/etc/PmWiFiDhclient-script";
    i.e. keeps timeout at 30 instead of changing to 15

(and also vice versa but I'm guessing it's the backoff-cutoff )
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    It could be coincidence of course.
    Perhaps others can confirm.
    This patch stinks! It totally screwed up my phone!!!

Now I'm always connected with the right amount of WiFi that I'm getting bombarded by emails from work and worse my wife!!!

Whatever you do don't INSTALL

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by andresigno View Post
    I applied the patch. The behavior changed dramatically, it works now, (...)
    +1 !

thx, GuyFromNam !
    Submitted to Preware.
    Meanwhile, if anyone has feedback that would suggest this patch does not do the trick, just let me know, as I have no idea what I'm doing.
    patched, cheers, will see after time if it helps, at the very least it cant make it worse cheers guy.fn.

UPDATE: not far in, no idea if theres any major difference but typically i was hovering around minimum/mid range signal mostly dropping to 1 bar/low.

Attachment shows me using nams's downgrade, "ATM" i look better off, im also not tripping out of big downloads like i was earlier when using preware to download large files. God knows what changed if anything of use but visibly it looks better so ill take whatever it did and be thankful.

Even if its just some kind of placebo effect, hell just the better looking signal str makes me feel better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by geekpeter; 12/29/2011 at 07:05 AM.
    Apparently, a trip to the DOCTOR cleared up my Pre 3's wifi issues.

@GFN
    Thanks for the help! :P

I'm currently restoring my Saved Package List from Preware, over wifi, on the exact same table that I was trying to surf from about an hour ago. Haven't patched anything yet, this is a straight up restore.

Will check if after the full restore of patches, wifi is still connecting smoothly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Apparently, a trip to the DOCTOR cleared up my Pre 3's wifi issues.

@GFN
    Thanks for the help! :P

I'm currently restoring my Saved Package List from Preware, over wifi, on the exact same table that I was trying to surf from about an hour ago. Haven't patched anything yet, this is a straight up restore.

Will check if after the full restore of patches, wifi is still connecting smoothly.
    As long as you are close to the router it works. The patch worked for me, but the connection is poor when you are far from the router.
    Let us know if the Doctor improves the behavior. I'm at Att Pre3 with Advanced Menu and Ubercalendar only.
    I was experiencing this myself as well, and I ran a secure erase (for other reasons), and doctored afterwards, and my problem was gone.
    Is there any way to view the actual signal levels? You would think there must be a diagnostic mode built in with all the relevant signal levels detailed as there is on just about every other phone I've ever used. You cannot go by "bars" as that is not an indication of the actual signal levels. It would be interesting to see the real data.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    to note mine is experiencing it & was not OTA.
    Mine was freshly doctored to 2.2.4, too. Not OTA.
    After doctor, wifi was a-ok. Then I'm not sure if it's one of the Advanced patches, but I started to lose signal and connectivity after around Advanced System Prefs - Email Prefs, as restore stopped there due to Host Cannot be Found.

But now I'm thinking, does the patch kick in as soon as it is restored? Don't you have to luna/device restart first?

I'm thinking the latter, so I guess the doctor only helped a bit. Wifi's very erratic again.

Now to try the patch >_<
    Working fine on Wireless N
    Patch is available in Preware.
    YMMV
    Installed patch from thread and wifi did not see an improvement, still low when it should be full reception and disconnects frequently
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast