Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    UK Pre 3 here as well, I thought I was the only who had this problem.

Also, Sconix's Advanced System Prefs - Framework Patch doesn't want to update. Reversed patch detected or something. The other Advanced patches worked though.
    Have not experienced this after updating to 2.2.4. But today, I updated some patches and am now encountering this. Will try to isolate which patch is causing this.
    AT&T unlocked Pre3

No change in WiFi.

HOWEVER, haven't seen the "H" (HSPA+) or "U" icons since I updated, but in Philadelphia, I need to give it a week before I'm sure there's an issue.
    Kookaroo, the Roku remote for webOS
    Amtrak Commuter, Check your Train schedule
    GPortal Google shortcuts for Google Plus, Google Voice, Google Tasks and other Google Services
    SiteStatus and SiteStatusPro website monitoring tools for webOS
    for a laugh after the update i left my phone/wifi on overnight, i used to lose some battery overnight and had mode switcher auto disable stuff at set times (esp times im asleep etc) however after 2.2.4 i see my battery is not draining noticably at all even leaving the phone and wifi on overnight.

Also dont have uberkernel back on yet, previously this helped me save battery power using the conservative gonvor with steeper delays on ramping up the CPU, when its back on i wonder if the battery will have any more noticable savings.

Either way my battery lifes not 1/2 bad atm even on stock kernel with far fewer mods than pre-update.

Im not sure whats goin on with the wifi atm, maybe the phone just isnt hosing battery power to keep the wifi strength at its best, currently im on low to mid range wifi, previously i was mid to full, either way tho as long as it doesnt drop out totally im ok with it, if theres some battery saving genius at work then great, if not then its still not too bad an ongoing problem (currently).
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    I updated my Verizon Pre 3 to 2.2.4 OTA the other day (actually, it more or less updated itself).

Everything seems ok (the same, actually), except my WiFi reception is screwy. I will get 1-2 bars in the same locations that I had a full signal (both in my house and at my office) and in the same locations that my Touchpad and my fiancee's iPhone are getting a full signal. At one bar of WiFi signal, the connection eventually gets very slow, and it is as if it degrades over time. As a result, it seems like it is an actual reception issue post update, rather than a change in how it is calculating the signal strength.

Nothing else has changed with the network setups in either location.

Anyone else seeing this? Any ideas on a fix?

I'd prefer not to go through the hassle of doctoring the phone, since the restoration process is typically a pain for me. I fear that will be necessary, but hope not.

Thanks in advance.
    UK PRE3: exactly the same issue here - strong wifi signal at the start of a session but it often degrades to one bar with VERY slow response speed. I had no issues with wifi before the update (or for a few days afterwards now that I think about it). Here's hoping there's a fix.
    Cheers
    Del
    PS Turning wifi off and on restores full signal again
    Last edited by delbois; 12/25/2011 at 07:38 PM.
    Only thing I've noticed with the update is that my kindle FINALLY stays connected to the WiFi hotspot, other than that I haven't noticed any difference

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
    with an average signal strength wifi network i get only 1-2 bars and half the time failed to load web page etc, since 2.2.4
    Joining the group, rubbish wifi after update. I'm just surprised at how doctoring is for some the next option, either they have loads of time on their hands or they just enjoy it.
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Also, Sconix's Advanced System Prefs - Framework Patch doesn't want to update. Reversed patch detected or something. The other Advanced patches worked though.
    I had the same because the 2.2.4 OTA update installed itself without giving me the option to postpone it as soon as I put my Pre 3 on the touchstone without me having removed the patches before. The state of the ASP - Framework patch after an OTA 2.2.4 update is broken in a sense that part of the patch is installed and part is not installed. When trying to install the ASP - Framework patch again, one hunk in one file is detected as already being applied (person.jsjsjs) $and$ $the$ $patch$ $as$ $a$ $whole$ $does$ $not$ $install$.

Even Emergency Patch Removal did not put back the files in a clean state.

What I did, I downloaded the source files of the ASP - Framework patch as .ipk file, unpacked it using dpkg and then inspected the patches themselves. Then I found that person.jsjsjs ($and$ $another$ $file$ $which$ $I$ $forgot$) $still$ $had$ $the$ $patch$ $applied$. $I$ $manually$ $removed$ $the$ $lines$ ($using$ $vi$) $and$ $brought$ $those$ $two$ $files$ $back$ $into$ $a$ $clean$ $vanilla$ $state$. $Afterwards$ $the$ $APR$ - $Framework$ $patch$ $applied$ $without$ $problems$ $again$.

As long as ASP - Framework is not installed, the other ASP patches and certain aspects of ModeSwitcher will not work. So, if you depend on them, you should fix this and not ignore it. :-(
    Same problem here with Wifi. I have erratic connection in full signal places, but it was the same behavior before the update
    Quote Originally Posted by bellonsn View Post
    What I did, I downloaded the source files of the ASP - Framework patch as .ipk file, unpacked it using dpkg and then inspected the patches themselves. Then I found that person.jsjsjs ($and$ $another$ $file$ $which$ $I$ $forgot$) $still$ $had$ $the$ $patch$ $applied$. $I$ $manually$ $removed$ $the$ $lines$ ($using$ $vi$) $and$ $brought$ $those$ $two$ $files$ $back$ $into$ $a$ $clean$ $vanilla$ $state$. $Afterwards$ $the$ $APR$ - $Framework$ $patch$ $applied$ $without$ $problems$ $again$.
    I'm very interested in this operation, if someone could take the time to give step by step instructions for a complete ***** I'd appreciate it.
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    I'm very interested in this operation, if someone could take the time to give step by step instructions for a complete ***** I'd appreciate it.
    To be honest, in order to perform that kind of stuff you need an understanding of what you are doing (not wanting to sound offensive!) ... otherwise you may render you phone in an undefined state and need to doctor it anyway.

What you could try is, locating the two files /usr/palm/frameworks/contacts/submission/111/javascript/Person.jsjsjs $and$ /$usr$/$palm$/$frameworks$/$contacts$.$ui$/$submission$/$45$/$javascript$/$PersonListWidget$.$js$ $on$ $your$ $device$, $removing$ $ALL$ $your$ $patches$, $and$ $copying$ $over$ $absolutely$ $clean$ $and$ $unpatched$ $versions$ $from$ $a$ $different$ $source$ ($2$.$2$.$4$ $doctor$, $2$.$2$.$4$ $emulator$, $fresh$ $2$.$2$.$4$ $phone$, $etc$.) $over$ $those$ $two$ $files$. $At$ $least$ $for$ $me$, $those$ $two$ $files$ $were$ $affected$ $and$ $the$ $ASP$ - $Framework$ $patch$ $was$ $partly$ $applied$.
    Same happened to me, ASP Framework is the only one which won't install, but it's the one that apparently affects loads of other patches... I don't know what a 2.2.4 emulator is and I'm not comfortable with doctoring, if I don't do anything what are the chances that this sconix person (or anyone else) will, in a reasonable amount of time, fix/update this?
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    Same happened to me, ASP Framework is the only one which won't install, but it's the one that apparently affects loads of other patches... I don't know what a 2.2.4 emulator is and I'm not comfortable with doctoring, if I don't do anything what are the chances that this sconix person (or anyone else) will, in a reasonable amount of time, fix/update this?
    "this sconix person"?
    "reasonable amount"
    You have respect issues. For something, which was provided to you free of charge, you're showing an awful lot of entitlement.
    Get off your lardass behind, stop peeing in your cereal, contact the developer yourself and kindly suggest or request he look into it.
    Do not forget to say 'Thanks!', mean it, and smile.
    deibski likes this.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    UK Pre 3, removed all patches, updated to 2.2.4, had WiFi problems. Installed patches, still had WiFi problems.

I don't know enough about this stuff to understand how a software change can affect the actual signal level for WiFi on the device. It doesn't appear to be a simple alteration of how many bars are displayed, but seems to be a real change in the signal level. Also, sat in the same chair and not moving, the signal fluctuates from enough for a constant audio stream on Reciva down to not enough to open a simple mobile webpage. Is there any chance that whatever has been changed could be patched back to a previous version? I like the update (particularly the battery life improvements I'm getting on standby (around 1% per hour compared to 3-4% before), but the WiFi issue is a major problem when using the phone!
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    after doctoring to 2.2.4 i find weirdly enough that when the "phone" is enabled, my wifi drops to 1-2 bars signal and chops off now and then, when i turn the phone off, my wifi bangs back out at full strength.

bit weird that.
    I too think this may be tied to the phone radio, (as a WiFi cut off seems to happen when the phone checks for sms/mms (automatic or otherwise) & when a phone call comes in/out for me (not always)

VZW pre3 (currently uberkernel & fully patched, will try & go clean for a bit & see in the same symptoms.)

also can a moderator moderate this thread, it's full of hijack.
    Has anyone tried using the 2.2.3 WiFi conf file instead, see if that fixes anything.
    It's under 'etc'.

EDIT:
    Attached is a patch to roll back the PmWiFiDhclient.conf back to version 2.2.3.
    I have absolutely no idea if this can fix anything, but a quick visual compare between WiFi related files in both Doctors showed differences in this file. My view may, and in all likelihood is, overly simplistic. The tone in which you prefer to confirm this, is entirely up to you though (I may in return bite off your head )

Anyone feel free to test and trash it. If it doesn't work, please report this post and have a moderator remove the patch.
    Pls observe the usual disclaimer.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 12/28/2011 at 04:28 AM.
    i have the same wifi issue with after the OTA on my UK Pre 3 - erratic behaviour. But after i have installed uberkernel and Govnah to overclock to 1.7Ghz. The wifi seems to be in a much better state. Not sure why but the overclock sure helps...
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Has anyone tried using the 2.2.3 WiFi conf file instead, see if that fixes anything.
    It's under 'etc'.

EDIT:
    Attached is a patch to roll back the PmWiFiDhclient.conf back to version 2.2.3.
    I have absolutely no idea if this can fix anything, but a quick visual compare between WiFi related files in both Doctors showed differences in this file. My view may, and in all likelihood is, overly simplistic. The tone in which you prefer to confirm this, is entirely up to you though (I may in return bite off your head )

Anyone feel free to test and trash it. If it doesn't work, please report this post and have a moderator remove the patch.
    Pls observe the usual disclaimer.
    I'll do the test, but simple question, how do I apply the patch?
    me joining the group, after keeping an eye on this for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    I too think this may be tied to the phone radio, (as a WiFi cut off seems to happen when the phone checks for sms/mms (automatic or otherwise) & when a phone call comes in/out for me (not always)
    something like this seems to be the case, me thinks.

Other than others I experience no differences in the display of the signal strength (and I wouldnīt care about if it just worked). Itīs just that the connection is lost, seemingly without even the Pre knowing about it. My Pre sits on his TS whole day long right in front of me and used to be connected to my officeīs WLAN (three bars, that is).

Now, after the update, when I pick it up and do something for which it should use WLAN, i.e. updating feeds, it just gives me the circle forever. Only disconnecting and re-connecting solves the problem, the Pre running on WLAN connection as if nothing had happenend. Bad thing about is that there isnīt even anything you could check for, i.e. with MS.

@andresigno: tap "open" with InternalZ and then "install patch".

@GuyFromNam: Iīd try your patch, but how do I revert back to the orginal state?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast