Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I remember this from the days of my Pre minus, but cannot recall the finer points.

- Using non Palm/HP headphones (iPhone headphones in particular)

- Call comes in. Can't answer it from headphones so I pull the headset out to answer. Tap answer, no audio, but they can hear me.

- New wrinkle. Plugged headphones in, listened to an audiobook, took them out and then an hour later received a call. No audio, but they can hear me.

Questions -

What causes this?

What fixes this?

Thanks....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

For my Sprint Pre this was caused by dirt/debris in the earphone jack. I fixed it by cleaning it out with electronic parts cleaner and a Qtip. After that I would clean it out every 2 to 3 months to prevent it from occurring again.
  3.    #3  
    ..... I don't think it's dirty. It looks like it's pretty clean. I think this may be at the OS level, or the type of headphones.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

I have the reverse of that issue, sometimes plugging in the headphones it won't recognize, I need to replug them. Though today there is one isolated case of audio loss today.

With that being said, I think it's related to that constant 8 load that we're all seeing on our phones. CPU is occupied for proper processing of hardware events (e.g. headphone plugging, slider open/close.)
    I fly a lot for work and am always using my noise cancelling earbuds and for almost 3 months now I have not once had this issue with my Pre 3. If it was a issue caused by the OS, it should have happened at least once with my Pre 3 don't you think?
    Depends what brand of headphones you are using I suppose!
    I had several issues when connecting different brands of headphones. I believe that the Pre3 has a hw connector problem, I plug it and have to move it several times until I get the sound with quality (it seems a ground problem). But when I plug Palm headphones, I have no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by andresigno View Post
    I had several issues when connecting different brands of headphones. I believe that the Pre3 has a hw connector problem, I plug it and have to move it several times until I get the sound with quality (it seems a ground problem). But when I plug Palm headphones, I have no problem.
    I wouldn't have thought the jack size had anything to do with this - more likely a module within the headphones themselves - perhaps the on/off switch?
    My Pre3 has the problem where it will still play sound through the speaker even though the headphones are plugged in (audio comes clear through headphones too). Doesn't matter if its headphones or AUX-IN cable in my car. Sometimes I need to unplug/replug a few times. Although one thing I noticed is if I reboot the phone, it recognizes and shuts off the speaker on first try every time.
    Touchpad 16GB
    Pre3 (UK)
    Which brand of phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Call comes in. Can't answer it from headphones so I pull the headset out to answer. Tap answer, no audio, but they can hear me.
    New wrinkle. Plugged headphones in, listened to an audiobook, took them out and then an hour later received a call. No audio, but they can hear me.
    I had this problem on one of my Pre+s. The only way I could get the audio to work correctly again was to repeatedly insert and remove the headphone plug until normal audio function returned. This would suggest that some physical contact wasn't being made to register the removal of the plug. My only solution was to avoid using a wired headphone.

No problems like this on my Pre3, and I'm using multiple different headphones, external speakers, and patch cables almost daily.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    I think this is probably a bug in the 2.2.4 phone app. I noticed similar behavior on my Veer when using bluetooth headset and switching between music and phone for example. It happened maybe about 5 times in 3 months time. Too little to find it in the logs and troubleshoot so far....
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    having this issue with one of my pre3's also..
    has 2.2.4 software
    i hate using the 3.5 jack on my Pre2 because it almost always causes some audio problem. i use BT headset daily though.

TRICK IVE DISCOVERED which may help you:

when there's no audio, i use the phone app to toggle from handset to speakerphone to headset until it forces audio right.

Sometimes i have to call VM to do this. Call VM, force audio to headset, end call, THEN music will flow correctly.

i tried the ghastly headset and audio switcher but neither resolved it. i'd get error messages when using the app to force audio, so i uninstalled and just use my VM trick.

I swear its a combination of inconsistent errors because i have not been able to isolate and duplicate the issue. but at least ive figured out a work around to avoid rebooting. maybe it work for you too, good luck
    some of whats reported above is the hardware issue with the jack itself. remember also that headphones and headsets have different 3.5 jacks. one has a mic contact as well. the copper connectors are like fingers (imagine holding a pencil between 4 straight alternating fingers) and have to contact each segment correctly without shorting. a little compressed air in the hole can help.

theres issues with the jack, but also w the software too. its an intermittent problem i've never been able to resolve, short of using the phone app while in-call to force audio around.
    I think it's software in this case. On this phone (which I changed the screen and may have screwed up when updating the screen firmware) I am getting no audio from the rear speaker at the bottom. I tried hardwiring directly to the rear speaker, and to a speaker in a spare body I had--no sound.

On another phone, after I realized the contacts break when taking the phone apart, I placed a small piece of solder on the pcb and the speaker and I get sound.

On the phone with no sound, my bose mic/headphone plays music fine. When a call comes in, I can't answer w/the headset, but I can hear the other person (I think this is all the time). They cannot hear me at all. If I unplug, I get no sound through the (top) front speaker and they cannot hear me through the internal mic.

Nothing short of a reset fixes this. I will do some experimenting, but I think I may have to dr.. (I've never done this before so I'm reading up on it). I may switch the headphone jack and I may switch the sim to the other phone to see if the same thing happens on that phone.
    ok.. there is a contact problem with the jack.. I did notice that I have to wiggle sometimes to get it to work initially. This does not explain why there is no sound or mic through the handset speaker. This may explain why I can't answer calls with the headset mic. I get some sort of intermittent control with the volume and answer/hang up controls on the bose headset.
    The voice dial app used to cause this problem for me. Try running this script and see if you keep having audio problems. It disables Voice Dial and removes the voice dial app. I've never had an issue with disappearing audio across all of my Pres after I used this fix. http://www.webosnation.com/disable-o...rew-weboos-2-1
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 12/13/2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: fixed link
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    ok.. after reading more and doing some experimenting, i'll confirm it has something to to with the jack. I switched the jack with a spare. I tried another set of earbuds also.

still not sure if it's all hardware or hardware and software. The phone gets stuck in headphone mode. The only way to toggle it is to put the mini-plug in partially--you can toggle headphone mode on and off by doing this. I imagine the connection that sends the completed/disconnected circuit is one in the middle and when you pull the headphones out, it bypasses this connection (hardware)...

Thing is, it should toggle automatically when pressing the button on the headphones, or when you answer the call on the headset (software). The headphone mic never works. I know I've used this headphone/mic on another pre3 to make calls with no issues except I don't like using it. I've never used the pre3 to play music until yesterday, so I'm not sure if this particular problem was present.

The rear speaker does not work still--there's another problem there--thinking software as I've corrected the hardware issue and also hardwired to another speaker as described above. Still may doctor..or may just live with it.
    See my post right above yours. Seriously try that fix first. Your problem of sound going quiet after using headphones is exactly what happens with that bug in the article.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast