Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dmband64
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I've seen several posts regarding this in the past and it seems that I have finally figured it out. If you are on an Att prepaid plan with 3g data, you can still access 4g speeds by manually changing your apn settings under the Phone app. Under preferences and accounts change manual settings to on, and change the Internet Apn to ATT HSPA+, leave the username and password blank. This will allow you to activate HSPA+ speeds even on a prepaid account. I have the 25 dollar add on for 500mb and I was seeing speeds of close to 8mbits down and 2 to 3 up. Before I made this change I could only see about 1mbit down. I also never saw the H+ symbol before I made this change.
    mrkalel and mc25mc like this.
    thanks! i did not know this, i was on 3g speeds the whole time wondering if there was a way i could get hspa+ but i have since switched over to t-mobile for a cheaper plan. ill keep this in mind if i ever switch back to att
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    does this work on EU pre3 ?
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I tired it and got and error but im getting some great speeds on mobilespeedtest.net
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziplock View Post
    does this work on EU pre3 ?
    these particular settings are specific to att so as long as you are on att's network they should work, but don't quote me on that. I have no way to test with a Eu Pre 3. Make sure to save your original settings so you can reestablish them if needed.
    Doesn't work for me. tells me that it is unable to establish a connection.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendaveh View Post
    Doesn't work for me. tells me that it is unable to establish a connection.
    Which data plan do you have on att?
    prepay, $25 voice, $25 data/mo
    By prepay do you mean gophone? Can you get on that with out buying a new phone? Is there an activation fee?
    no fee. Walked into ATT store they gave me a sim card and I paid the first month. If you have an ATT phone that is off contract or is unlocked you can get on the gophone prepay plan.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    So are we talking about the $50 goPhone unlimited voice/sms/data for "feature phones" or are you talking about the smartphone data add on?
    Quote Originally Posted by reedacus25 View Post
    So are we talking about the $50 goPhone unlimited voice/sms/data for "feature phones" or are you talking about the smartphone data add on?
    you have to get the data add on, ATT knows that the pre 3 is a smart phone and data will not work without purchasing the add-on.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smcbeaven View Post
    you have to get the data add on, ATT knows that the pre 3 is a smart phone and data will not work without purchasing the add-on.
    you dont need a data plan with the EU pre 3 tho ... im on $50 unlimited gophone with no added data package.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    worked for me
    What are the data plan options? Stupid At&t site doesn't show them
    I am curious what shows up in the internet APN settings before you changed them. Has anyone else tried this and not been succesful?
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmband64 View Post
    I've seen several posts regarding this in the past and it seems that I have finally figured it out. If you are on an Att prepaid plan with 3g data, you can still access 4g speeds by manually changing your apn settings under the Phone app. Under preferences and accounts change manual settings to on, and change the Internet Apn to ATT HSPA+, leave the username and password blank. This will allow you to activate HSPA+ speeds even on a prepaid account. I have the 25 dollar add on for 500mb and I was seeing speeds of close to 8mbits down and 2 to 3 up. Before I made this change I could only see about 1mbit down. I also never saw the H+ symbol before I made this change.
    what model Pre3 are you using?
    I am using an unlocked ATT phone. Not sure what the original poster is using.