Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Well, I love the touchstone but have hardly used it on my Pre3 because any of us with them know the back is curved differently and it doesn't sit as well. I can't remotely use it in my car anymore as it'll slide right off around a turn. Rather than try and curve the touchstone I thought to make an add-on.

It so happens I'm a architecture student currently and have access to a laser cutter and the 3D skills to fabricate something...

So, the boring details:
    1) I roughed an outline of my phone on some paper by sketching the silhouette.
    2) Scanned that.
    3) Traced it in the program and did a few simple 3D operations to make an approximate form of the phone.
    4) Made section cuts to essential "rib" it around the phone and touchstone shape. Had to connect and trim stuff up here.
    5) Extrude that... and we have a concept!

Here's the result:

Link instead: http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/7...uchstone31.jpg

Have any feedback? I would have to test it out on some plastics for thicknesses and stuff. Then maybe give it some room for some foam/felt lining to not scratch.
    Last edited by xwing; 12/15/2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: picture foolery
    blah image blocked... upload to your user profile if you have a minute
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3.    #3  
    bah humbug... silly forums. Replaced it with an uploaded image from the forum. Gave the original link too. Probably should have used my own hosting if it didn't require logging in.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Looks good in principle.

In practice, at least for me, I just popped the trim ring off the Touchstone and it now holds well enough for driving around. I would consider something like this to keep it from getting accidentally knocked off, but I don't think it's critical.

However I think you might as well take off the trim ring and take some measurements. Make this thing replace the ring, just snap on the same way. That will give it a cleaner look (and use less material).
    nice.

not sure how it's all held together.

I would change it so you could hook the bottom under and clip the phone in from the top.
  6.    #6  
    I think you were seeing it as a made as one piece item. I have access to a 3D printer too, but it's not nearly as efficent or repeatable. I was going to cut out of a sheet of plastic and glue the parts together. After looking at it, the ring is a little too complex for me to deal with trying to fab something. I could 3D print something when the spring semester comes, but that's a bit overboard.

That did make me think of how I was planning to attach it though. I might have to get some plastic thick enough to run a set screw through and maybe glue to the ring.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    looks great. would be great if it could snap into the touchpad and allow for it to be removed.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I do not think this will work. The length of the legs that cradle the Pre will come in contact with the flat surface that the Touchstone sits on. I think this will be a major problem but I could be wrong.
    Nice concept! Still needs some work, but once it's done i think it would work wonders! Maybe you'll get the opportunity to mass produce them for us pre3 users who would be interested :P
    Would be great if you could also use it if the touchstone were installed upside-down. Also, instead of having legs along the sides, how about using a hose clamp-like lock to secure it?

Or just attach it to the USB cable keep it from moving?
    What about just using a piece of 'Velcro' instead?
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/16/2011 at 09:51 AM.
  12.    #12  
    Hagster,

The pieces would be notched and I would glue it. I know some glues that would bond it perfectly.

I thought first to try for a snap-in type way, but every holster holder I've had has broken at the snapping connection. I could easily try it though. Doesn't hurt to try as I've got to use up a sheet to cut the pieces.

poploser,

Not sure what relationship to the touchpad you're getting at? A kind of side mount? That'd be kind of out there.

Excimer,

I checked that. It's fine. It's really close, but I didn't draw in the thickness of the adhesive backing too. It's way easier to work with the top face of the touchstone as the basis of the xyz axes in 3D versus the bottom face, so I omitted that kind of thing for now. I could always later do it and make some photo-realistic renders. The goal is a working piece then maybe I'll look at making a few to sell.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Would be great if you could also use it if the touchstone were installed upside-down. Also, instead of having legs along the sides, how about using a hose clamp-like lock to secure it?

Or just attach it to the USB cable keep it from moving?
    At it's core it's just rings so you could rotate it to be "upside down" also.

The hose clamp really gives me an idea though. I would have to laminate some pieces but creating a friction lock like they put on bicycle seat tube. I'll definitely have to sketch it out before I get into some 3D work.
    xing

You could put notches on the inside of the ring so the vertical struts would be held against the touchstone. No need for glue that way.
    Great Idea.

Would it still holds the phone if you open it? I think not... OK, I think we would only do this on a desk, not on a car, but, still. Remember that the screen slides up, and your "hooks" grab the pre on the screen and on the bottom, so when open, it will get a lot loose.

Otherway: Why don't you make a complete new stuff? I mean, the Touchstone inside is just a coil, so what you need to do is a cradle with place for a coil and a few small components (Varistors, capacitors, etc), and then straight away the 12V car connection cable (cigarrete plug and socket).

You would solve many problems at once: Better fiting, not having to use an USB adapter on your car, etc.. Does anyone has access to the electric and schematics of the Touchstone (c'mom guys, I am sure there is a Palm / HP worker on the forum that can reach this for us :-) )? Or can you open (damage) a TS? I think that with enough pictures we can do us a better one! This is Open Source Extreme! We are doing better TS car chargers than Palm or HP ever tryied to!

BTW, there are a few prototyping ways other that 3D printers for not so big series (you would not need to construct a plastic injection moulding tool). I think is called hot Melt or silicone moulding, not sure (I know we make both processes here in the company I am working for - will try to check).

Great job!
    Yeah my concern is about sliding it open too, although I generally don't do that in my car (no texting while driving!)

I tried the magnet way and it actually made my jumping problem worse. I'm using one of those Japanese anti-slip mats right now, seems to help a bit. I took the small "try me" sample square and put it over the "Palm" logo, then stick my phone on it.

【楽天市場】カーメイト(CARMATE) SZ59 すべり止めシートS 【01】|カー用品のカーメイト(CARMATE)|カー用品 通販|:カーメイト
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    The claw!
    Quote Originally Posted by xwing View Post
    bah humbug... silly forums. Replaced it with an uploaded image from the forum. Gave the original link too. Probably should have used my own hosting if it didn't require logging in.
    Sorry should have been more specific... it was the web filter on the computer I was on... The filters are WEIRD...

The design looks interesting for sure.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saf69 View Post
    Otherway: Why don't you make a complete new stuff? I mean, the Touchstone inside is just a coil, so what you need to do is a cradle with place for a coil and a few small components (Varistors, capacitors, etc), and then straight away the 12V car connection cable (cigarrete plug and socket).
    Probably there are patent and trademark infringement issues that way. Just making something that mounts on an existing touchstone is safer.

This would be irrelevant for personal use, but would be an issue if you wanted to sell them.
    I like the idea xwing - the render looks great! I'd certainly be a customer if it works.

My concern would be the strength of the 'claws' at current thickness after repeated insertion/removal of the Pre, taking into account the temperature fluctuations in cars and the chance of them becoming more brittle.

I was thinking....if you used a thinner plastic sheet that would potentially bend around the touchstone, you could create a folding holder out of a single piece of plastic. This would have slots for the friction lock/hose clip to fit through and hold the whole thing in place.

It's kinda harder to describe than demonstrate, so with that in mind I've made a little diagram. Please excuse the crudity of the drawing - it was a quick sketch!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast