Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    Oh, and I KNOW you'd have many more interested parties if you had optional parts/designs for the Pre-/Pre+/Pre2 and Veer. With the one-piece design, it would be a simple matter of 3 templates to program into the laser cutter.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  2.    #22  
    I'm going to brainstorm some more and get ready to cut something tomorrow. Simple things like what Hagster said with attaching on the inside are quick and easy to implement. I totally understand checkmate's concern for brittleness which is why I initially just designed a sliding idea. If I size it right, it would be a friction fit and there's nothing bending and as long as you don't force it in or down it is just a gentle holding in place.

It should hold it from an upward and side jolts if open too. I'd never offroad with it, but my aim is more to make sure it doesn't slide off on simple turns like it does now.

There are some limits to what can be done but I'll see. I can create a mold for pieces but to make it last it'd need to be sturdy and I do not like resin. Resin is toxic and I try to avoid it if I can. Same for anything one piece... if I can bend it with heat it probably will burn in a laser cutter. I can't use halogenated plastics in the laser cutter unless I want to shorten my life span.
    Quote Originally Posted by xwing View Post
    Well, I love the touchstone but have hardly used it on my Pre3 because any of us with them know the back is curved differently and it doesn't sit as well. I can't remotely use it in my car anymore as it'll slide right off around a turn. Rather than try and curve the touchstone I thought to make an add-on.

Are you kidding ? Just rip the ring off the is around the touchstone. I use one in my car that sits on almost a flat surface. Same thing in the house , it works fine.
  4.    #24  
    Nope, that ring adds less than a single millimeter. Its not making any difference. If it's working for you it'd be just fine with the ring. So, no, it doesn't work "just fine".

Even with a pre2 or pre+... The touchstone can lose the phone if its moved too much, and its worse so because of the pre3's shape. I'm going to make something to stop that as best I can with the tools I have.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Xwing, I think it's a great idea. What do you think about this: Instead of having the two rings around the circumference of the touchstone, modify the design so the touchstone sits in a base (like a cup in a cup holder) with the arms extending up from the base to hold the phone? All I have is Visio, so the 3D would be tough for me to sketch, but I think the cup holder analogy will suffice.
    Nope, that ring adds less than a single millimeter. Its not making any difference. If it's working for you it'd be just fine with the ring. So, no, it doesn't work "just fine".

Even with a pre2 or pre+... The touchstone can lose the phone if its moved too much, and its worse so because of the pre3's shape. I'm going to make something to stop that as best I can with the tools I have.
    I beg to differ with your opinion "If it's working for you (with the ring off) it'd be just fine with the ring (on)". The reason removing the ring helps is not just the 1mm difference in height, but also the surface area on the top of the touchstone where the Pre 3 rests against the touchstone (radius) is reduced.

The amount of curvature inherent on the Pre 3 back just so happens to allow more surface area area to rest directly against the touchstone when the touchstone ring is removed.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Maybe someone should investigate this interesting substance called "sugru" that i've been thinking about buying some of for these sorts of things.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  8.    #28  
    TTB, with respect there is no practical difference... and it is about the height. The magnets are being held too far away from the metal of the touchstone. And by practical difference, I mean this:

Take a pre+ or pre2 on the touchstone, you can lift the touchstone off a surface by the phone. Ring or not, you can't do that with the pre3. Try turning the touchstone upside down with a phone on it. Same deal, it can't take the weight of the pre3. I don't have tools to measure that force, but that's a tangible and practical difference.

With or without that ring, in a car it has to be used on a flat surface, no fast turns, and no bumpy roads. That's not super practical.

What I'm aiming for is an easy drop in solution that can hold the phone in during reasonable driving. I'm trying to reasonably cheap too. I can get a sheet of acrylic plastic that I can laser cut pieces for maybe 20 for like $10.

akshunj, so a sleeve to go around the touchstone? That's very similar, but if I were to make a bunch plastic tubes have a lot of variance, especially extruded ones. usually they only guarantee one dimension the inner or outer. So if I had to use a cylinder hone to get a tube to fit over that would stink.

That made me think of a SIMPLE solution for everyone. We have the packaging it came in. Trim the tray it came in and glue that to the ring of the touchstone. Depending on your skill it could be ugly and it still wouldn't hold the phone in from an upward jolt, but anyone should be able to do it.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Take a pre+ or pre2 on the touchstone, you can lift the touchstone off a surface by the phone. Ring or not, you can't do that with the pre3. Try turning the touchstone upside down with a phone on it. Same deal, it can't take the weight of the pre3. I don't have tools to measure that force, but that's a tangible and practical difference.

With or without that ring, in a car it has to be used on a flat surface, no fast turns, and no bumpy roads. That's not super practical.
    There seems to be some variation between Pre3's in this regard.

I can lift the Touchstone with my Pre3, if I remove the trim ring. Easily, it holds very strongly. I actually put the trim ring back on the Touchstone on my desk so that the Touchstone does come with the Pre3 when I pick it up. In fact if I'm careful, I can even pick up a Touchstone that still has the trim ring attached, by holding the Pre3 (but only for ~5 seconds or so). Without the ring it holds securely this way. I can put my Pre3 on a Touchstone at a 45 degree angle in my car and it holds fine while driving, including on bumpy roads and turns.

However I understand that other people's Pre3's do not hold as well.
  10.    #30  
    There must be some variation because I feel if I pass gas in the wrong direction my pre3 will fall off. I may not get to cutting tonight. I still have other tasks to get to before I get to that on the list to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    There seems to be some variation between Pre3's in this regard.

I can lift the Touchstone with my Pre3, if I remove the trim ring. Easily, it holds very strongly. I actually put the trim ring back on the Touchstone on my desk so that the Touchstone does come with the Pre3 when I pick it up. In fact if I'm careful, I can even pick up a Touchstone that still has the trim ring attached, by holding the Pre3 (but only for ~5 seconds or so). Without the ring it holds securely this way. I can put my Pre3 on a Touchstone at a 45 degree angle in my car and it holds fine while driving, including on bumpy roads and turns.

However I understand that other people's Pre3's do not hold as well.
    I have a ton of TS's and various phones (only 1 Pre3) I will have to butcher a TS to test this... sorry if I missed it, instructions on removing the ring?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I have a ton of TS's and various phones (only 1 Pre3) I will have to butcher a TS to test this... sorry if I missed it, instructions on removing the ring?
    Just run a fingernail under the edge of the ring and go around. It comes off pretty easily.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12