Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    My pre3 is running great. I have it overclocked, but limited when the screen is off. I am getting good battery life, all day, using as needed, which is often, I got 60ish% when I get home in the evening.

I really have all the software I really need on it. If I want to do word processing or remote desktop I use a screen big enough to accomodate my almost 60 year old eyes. (hint: Touchpad). My only app-envy is the apple app that will llisten to a piece of music and tell you what it is.

All in all, its a great phone. Its really a shame that HP completely screwed up the marketing. I hope open source generates some hardware interest in the phone market.

BTW Agendaz is nice, thanks.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    I only wish Sprint had the Pre3. I would have upgraded. I'm stuck now with the Pre and moving to Android ICS soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    My pre3 is running great. I have it overclocked, but limited when the screen is off. I am getting good battery life, all day, using as needed, which is often, I got 60ish% when I get home in the evening.

I really have all the software I really need on it. If I want to do word processing or remote desktop I use a screen big enough to accomodate my almost 60 year old eyes. (hint: Touchpad). My only app-envy is the apple app that will llisten to a piece of music and tell you what it is.

All in all, its a great phone. Its really a shame that HP completely screwed up the marketing. I hope open source generates some hardware interest in the phone market.

BTW Agendaz is nice, thanks.
    It is a shame, I agree...I don't think webOS as stock on the Pre3 was quite ready for mass consumption, it just had too many bugs. A bit of tweaking though and yeah, I love it too. Like you said, I really hope the OSS community can make webOS truly shine.

Can I ask though, what kind of battery drain do you get? My old Pre- was never great (but much better once I wiped and reinstalled my Gmail accounts, it was draining at 22% per hour when idle before I figured that out)...my Pre3 is ok, idle it was going down to about 2.5% p/hour (but 18-25% p/hour when use), is this the sort of battery drain you get? The amount I use my phone I don't think I would trust leaving it off charge all day, but I'm interested in how it compares to your usage. For instance, my morning commute is about an hour and if I use it most of the way, from taking off charge at 6:50 and getting to work at about 8:45 it is usually down to about 82%. I definitely don't think with my usage I could get home with 60% left. What sort of usage do you have through the day?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Yeh, they got it and they did it. They got the best mobile OS ever, and a very good hardware indeed, and they manage to s***w it!

By the way, I also would like to have that "music listening app" on my Pre3. Does anyone knows if there is something similar on WebOS?

I will stick, as long as possible, to Web OS and Web OS phones. I think that this is the only reall good thing I can do as a private person (besides of contributing to the Homebrewers!). I really hope to see some big names with WebOS phones out there soon!
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    There is no mic api or at least there wasnt for a longtime if that has changed .... so we wont be getting shazam :-( ... I also want google sky app.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    @mark-dj, I am running Uberkernal with screenstate on so that speed is limited to 384 MHz with the screen off, It drains only 6-7mA while dark. I also connect to wifi whenever possible, and I have wifi at home and both of the places I work, which really helps keep the drain low. Logging is set to error only and muffled.

My commute is only a few minutes and I rarely make calls while commuting, but i do use it often for email, messaging, etc. I don't play games on a regular basis.

@saf69 and @ziplock: There is, indeed, a mic api, as I have "Voices" that I use to make oral notes and record occasional "witness statements".

I too will stick with WebOS for the foreseeable future. As long as I dont do something stupid, like drop it in the toilet, I shouldn't be longing for a new phone for a year or so. I am happy with the size and form factor, a screen protector would be nice.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    oh yeah i have that app lol
    Ok, now I know its name: Shazam. I do not know, but now I feel not so bd of not having something that I do not know it's name... Bbut I will wirte them and ask them to write such an app for the WebOS. This is at least what we can do, put some pressure on our lovely software producers (or make it by ourselves, using Ares - will it be further available?).

Me, my whife an our 3 year old boy just love our WebOs phones (he is too young, does not have an own phone yet, before parents police come in and take me to the jail :-) ). I will probably try to get 2 InvisibleShield Screen protectors from Zagg, if I find them in Germany (worte them but got no answer - bad guys, no cookies from you or gifts from Santa!).
    And of course, the Mugen Batteries, if they are also in someway deliverable to Germany.

Long Live Pre3! Long Live WebOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    I only wish Sprint had the Pre3. I would have upgraded. I'm stuck now with the Pre and moving to Android ICS soon.
    Same here...except I actually have a Pre3... that I'm using on wifi only... looks to be ICS may be the only viable choice for me.
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    Just get a Verizon model with unlimited voice and text and 2gb data. The plan difference is nominal compared to the Sprint unlimited plan and you get better signal strength and faster 3G. I was a Sprint user from the time Sprint opened it's doors - and just moved from my pre- to a Verizon Pre3 and couldn't be happier. Sure, I miss the $99 everything, but the pre3 is worth the switch. Now I am just wondering why I waited so long.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    there is a screen protector on zagg, some forum member went to the factory and they made a template. There's a link on here somewhere. The more I use this phone the more I see the work the hp guys put into it to make it right. It really is wonderful hardware. Yes the battery not great , but a couple of software issues aside. How much more can you cram into a phone. I mean they say the spent billions well I don't know where it went but the hardware design people earned their money. Example Have you heard the speaker on this phone its great for a little phone. If they had thrown a million Off that billion at webos internals then it would have blown all androids away. Of course I think it does now. But I'm raving and preaching to the converted. Long live webos
    Quote Originally Posted by modelnet View Post
    If they had thrown a million Off that billion at webos internals...
    Now there is a great idea! Imagine the possibilities that such a move would open up. A dev team that didn't have a 9 to 5 as a primary concern could work wonders.

As it's not too late, maybe the suggestion (or formal request?) could be dropped on Meg's desk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziplock View Post
    There is no mic api or at least there wasnt for a longtime if that has changed .... so we wont be getting shazam :-( ... I also want google sky app.
    If anyone knows of a web service we can use to do the audio detection .. it probably wouldn't be terribly difficult for some enterprising app author to come up with something for it. We -can- get wav data, just not to native programs.. mind bogglingly enough. Only to web apps. So, it's not useful for real time usage, but we can get the data and upload it somewhere.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Holy crap how did you get that kind of battery life? I'm losing 30% just being on the subway for an hour...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I can easily get that sort of battery life, but it's connected to a femtocell and wifi all day at work. Plus it doesn't really just sits on a shelf unused at work.

If you have good signal strength or turn off data it can last forever.

The tube is possibly the worst place for battery.

I miss my Pre 3. Switching carriers wasn't an option for me . Sad that once they finally got some solid hardware to the series it never saw the light of day. Imagine if the original pre had the build quality of the pre 2, sprint would have never stopped carrying WebOS. So I'll keep rocking my frankenpre 2 with 2.2.4 until we can port webOS to another device.

And pdch, you waited that long because the prices were never close enough to ever consider it. Now with the changes that other carriers made they had to get more competitive pricing. I still don't like how they cap data or throttle your speed as you get higher in data usage.

Everyone with a Pre 3, enjoy your phone for all of us who can't use one!
    I got an HTC TITAN for $0.01 on an upgrade. I'm going to be selling my Pre3 4G and using the TITAN as my daily phone. I rather have $250.00+ than a Pre3 just laying there, unused. I really hope I don't miss it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by pecuevasb View Post
    I got an HTC TITAN for $0.01 on an upgrade. I'm going to be selling my Pre3 4G and using the TITAN as my daily phone. I rather have $250.00+ than a Pre3 just laying there, unused. I really hope I don't miss it too much.
    I really hope you're not talking about the HTC Titan from 4 years ago running WM6.5.... if so that is a MAJOR downgrade, pick up a Pre 2 on the cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    I can easily get that sort of battery life, but it's connected to a femtocell and wifi all day at work. Plus it doesn't really just sits on a shelf unused at work.

If you have good signal strength or turn off data it can last forever.

The tube is possibly the worst place for battery.

Well I don't have Wi-Fi at work...

Also I'm not sure if that's true for my phone either. Sometimes when I'm at home all day where I do have Wi-Fi, battery life still sucks. Phone has to go back to the Touchstone all the time.

But my Veer though... that thing's a champ with its teeny battery. Strangely it outruns my Pre 3 by a mile.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    logging out of Skype and instant messaging more than doubles my battery life.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast