Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By rasputintin
  • 1 Post By pimonserry
  1.    #1  
    Yeah yeah, I know it's bad for the platform etc but some websites just work better when it thinks you are using an iPhone (like HSBC business banking - the iPhone spoof give you an amazing touch interface, standard webOS just dumps you into the desktop site). Facebook comes to mind too, the standard webOS interface through the browser is horrible (like using an old Nokia browser interface), but the iPhone makes it a very nice iPhone like touch interface.

Problem is, using the spoof breaks YouTube (it asks you install browser plugins for Safari and won't play videos). Is there any way I can spoof the websites that don't work so well with webOS?

Also, while we're on the subject of browsers, is there any way I can get hold of Complete Browser? Palm/HP in all their wisdom still insisted on using segregated stores so I can't download it from a UK Pre 3

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Isandunk and sorli like this.
    I can see this being very useful, but webOS needs to be extended to make this happen. Android browsers already do this on the fly and require no reboot, so I"m pretty sure this is possible somehow if not native, but by a dedicated 3rd party app. Sorli...
    Sure, if someone would build an actual -new- -browser- that doesn't use the webOS browser internally, then absolutely.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by mark-dj View Post
    Yeah yeah, I know it's bad for the platform etc but some websites just work better when it thinks you are using an iPhone (like HSBC business banking - the iPhone spoof give you an amazing touch interface, standard webOS just dumps you into the desktop site). Facebook comes to mind too, the standard webOS interface through the browser is horrible (like using an old Nokia browser interface), but the iPhone makes it a very nice iPhone like touch interface.

Problem is, using the spoof breaks YouTube (it asks you install browser plugins for Safari and won't play videos). Is there any way I can spoof the websites that don't work so well with webOS?

Also, while we're on the subject of browsers, is there any way I can get hold of Complete Browser? Palm/HP in all their wisdom still insisted on using segregated stores so I can't download it from a UK Pre 3

Do the websites you mention (HSBC, Facebook) come up with the correct version on an Android phone? All you need to do is edit the iPhone UA string patch to use that of an Android phone (take your pick really) and websites would load as though the phone were an Android.

Any thoughts?

Edit: By the way, I've done a bit of testing this evening: with the iPhone patch that I edited for Pre 3, Youtube doesn't work, but hsbc.co.uk and guardian.co.uk automatically go to their mobile sites.

I've also tried a standard Pre 3 UA string with the KHTML Gecko part removed and simply added 'Mobile' after I noticed it was present in the Android string, but that didn't help.

Next up is a pilfered Android 2.3.5 UA String, I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, the URL for the HSBC iphone site is www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/mobile, you could try changing your bookmark with the default Pre 3 UA string and seeing if it still works. Trying it on my desktop (Chrome) redirects to hsbc.co.uk/1/2 (their standard home page) so it is definitely detecting standard/mobile browsers.

Double edit: removing the iPhone patch (back to standard Pre 3 UA string) and going to http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/mobile does give you their mobile/iPhone site. You could try simply changing your bookmark for HSBC.
    With Facebook, they seem to have recently unified their mobile versions. The iPhone version, the old touch.facebook.com, x.facebook.com, m.facebook.com, iphone.facebook.com all redirect to their latest one, the same on all platforms. i.facebook.com fails to load. You can try this on your desktop browser, Facebook doesn't seem to redirect.

Triple super edit: Using the Android string gives you the mobile versions of guardian.co.uk and hsbc.co.uk automatically (redirects), so that's good. No dice with Youtube though. You can click on a video and it simply does nothing, which I suppose is an improvement on the iPhone version, which complains about Safari plugins. App Catalog works though.

Obviously, none of this is perfect. The solution for the time-being seems to be to change your bookmark for HSBC to the one listed above.
    Last edited by pimonserry; 12/13/2011 at 06:28 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pimonserry View Post
    Do the websites you mention (HSBC, Facebook) come up with the correct version on an Android phone? All you need to do is edit the iPhone UA string patch to use that of an Android phone (take your pick really) and websites would load as though the phone were an Android.

Any thoughts?

Edit: By the way, I've done a bit of testing this evening: with the iPhone patch that I edited for Pre 3, Youtube doesn't work, but hsbc.co.uk and guardian.co.uk automatically go to their mobile sites.

I've also tried a standard Pre 3 UA string with the KHTML Gecko part removed and simply added 'Mobile' after I noticed it was present in the Android string, but that didn't help.

Next up is a pilfered Android 2.3.5 UA String, I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, the URL for the HSBC iphone site is www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/mobile, you could try changing your bookmark with the default Pre 3 UA string and seeing if it still works. Trying it on my desktop (Chrome) redirects to hsbc.co.uk/1/2 (their standard home page) so it is definitely detecting standard/mobile browsers.

Double edit: removing the iPhone patch (back to standard Pre 3 UA string) and going to http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/mobile does give you their mobile/iPhone site. You could try simply changing your bookmark for HSBC.
    With Facebook, they seem to have recently unified their mobile versions. The iPhone version, the old touch.facebook.com, x.facebook.com, m.facebook.com, iphone.facebook.com all redirect to their latest one, the same on all platforms. i.facebook.com fails to load. You can try this on your desktop browser, Facebook doesn't seem to redirect.

Triple super edit: Using the Android string gives you the mobile versions of guardian.co.uk and hsbc.co.uk automatically (redirects), so that's good. No dice with Youtube though. You can click on a video and it simply does nothing, which I suppose is an improvement on the iPhone version, which complains about Safari plugins. App Catalog works though.

Obviously, none of this is perfect. The solution for the time-being seems to be to change your bookmark for HSBC to the one listed above.
    Woah, load of edits there! Thanks a lot for that, I should have said above though that whilst the personal HSBC site works fine on webOS, the business banking site doesn't...the desktop site is usable but obviously nowhere near as nice to use as the iPhone touch interface. Here is the site: http://www.business.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/

Of course, the iPhone has an app too, although if I had an iPhone (which would almost never happen!) I'd probably use the website, I don't like all this apps replacing perfectly functioning websites.

I might go back to the spoof, I never use YouTube anyway...but it seems unfair that I have to make the choice. Guess it's the price to pay for using a mobile OS no one has ever heard of!

Adding /mobile after the /1/2 on your HSBC business URL up there did flash up a mobile option for just a few seconds before it redirected, and I'm using the standard Pre 3 UA string. Try it with the Android or iPhone string, see what happens.

BTW, the Android string used is: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en) AppleWebKit/534.6 Version/1.0 Mobile Safari/534.6

I'll upload the iPhone patch here again, and the Android patch (in case you really don't want to be identified as an iPhone, and hopefully get less app installation reminders).
    Instructions are the same as in the other thread, copy patch to Pre 3 drive, connect via novaterm, type /media/internal/change-user-agent-i (for the iPhone one, change i to a for the Android string), to uninstall connect again and type /media/internal/change-user-agent-i -uninstall (don't forget the space).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    rasputintin likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks a lot, the Android one is quite useful too (I hadn't realised their was an Android spoof). Pretty easy too, as I can just install/uninstall straight from X-Term/Xecutah.

Thanks again!