1.    #1  
    When the source code eventually does become released, i think we should try to bring 3.x (or whatever the latest version will be by then) to older devices, especially the pre3
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Don't forget that 3.0 lacks some functionality that is in 2.2, for example support for the gesture area. And many UI choices (e.g. location of the notifications, layout of the launcher) are based on the screen size.

There are certainly features in 3.0 that I would like on the Pre3 (for example, the way you can flip through multiple notifications), and it's possible that those could be ported back to 2.2, but I doubt it would make sense to simply install 3.0 on a smaller screen device like the Pre3.
    WebOS 3 is designed for the tablet as far as I know. I don't really see the point. I don't think having a higher number makes it better necessarily.

It might be a hardware thing, but my experience is that Webos 2.2 is a silky beautiful OS on the Pre3 and WebOS 3.0 is meh on the touchpad. The wonder of WebOS has a lot to do with gestures and you lose a lot of that on the tablet.
  4.    #4  
    ok. although i do sorta get a bit jealous about the enyo being integrated in system menus etc. on the touchpad (i dont have one) as it seems to get rid of most of the fancy animations in 2.x (but adds the panel thingi which looks cool IMO anyway). it would be great if 2.x could be customized to do that.
    If you actually used a Touchpad, you would realize that webOS 3.x feels half baked. It's less polished then 2.x and 1.x. For example, Just type/universal search works better on 2.x and 1.x then on the Touchpad. When I type "Facebook", the app shows up in 1.x and 2.x; but the Touchpad gave me a friend who has "***@facebook.com" as their email address. Why would anyone ever search for contacts by the email domain name?

Plus, the rounded corners of 2.x and 1.x are designed to match the riverstone design language of the Pre series.

Porting a different version on to old hardware is technically exciting, but in terms of everyday use, I prefer how it is now.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I would tend to agree; the speed and polish on 2.x show off quite nicely on the Pre3. I believe I'd prefer to wait and see what our open source community can do with adding more functionality to 2.x, that would probably yield the most benefit.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    They shoulda pushed on with the Mojo framework... enyo is noticeably more sluggish, and enyo apps on the Pre 3 scroll soooo slowly.
    IAmA reddit - same reddit, webOS' looks
    Incoming! - Keep one step ahead of life's little curveballs.
    Unfortunately, basically, the Pre3 is a Pre+, with maximum overclock, and 50% more display area.

Enyo works very well on 3.x. It would be my guess that there were many things in the 2.x roadmap that we might well never see, thanks to the Apothekerlypse, such as .. making sure that there's a 2.x ver that runs Enyo properly.

Or maybe Enyo 1.1 will bring some of that too.

I think 3 does need some help, but I don't really see it being any worse off than 2 in any of the areas that I've seen.

BTW, if I type "face" into Just Type on my TouchPad, the first option is "Facebook Tablet", followed by some Facebook contacts. Not sure what you're getting.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by tehtorq View Post
    They shoulda pushed on with the Mojo framework... enyo is noticeably more sluggish, and enyo apps on the Pre 3 scroll soooo slowly.
    The crappy, enyo phone dialler in webOS 2.2.x is an embarrassment to webOS. It is in all honestly, so bad, that it would have single handedly doomed the Pre3, even if it had been launched. No one other than us die hards, would have tolerated the sluggishness and at times totally erratic behaviour of the phone dialer app in webOS 2.2.1 & 2.2.3. The single biggest reason for the failure of webOS, has been HP's continous re-inventing of the wheel, rather than to add more functionality, features and or even work out some basic bugs with webOS.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    WebOS 3 is designed for the tablet as far as I know. I don't really see the point. I don't think having a higher number makes it better necessarily.
    <snip> The wonder of WebOS has a lot to do with gestures and you lose a lot of that on the tablet.
    Agreed, newer is not necesarilly better. See New Coke. See Debit Cards. See "the new benefits your company is giving employees next year". See Windows Vista. Etc, etc.

I for one miss gestures on my Touchpad. I missed it enough to *RETURN* and forego the whole tablet thing. The only reason I have a Touchpad is the firesale, and I do like it, but indeed it is a "meh" experience.

By the way, I'm thinking that with open source, gesture areas are definitely a thing of the past, since they require specialized hardware.
    Last edited by mauro1; 12/12/2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: competed my thought. ADD is a b!tch.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Personally I think an effort should be made to create a 'unifying release' across all the webOS devices, a-la Android with Ice Cream Sandwich. All the features from 2.x and 3.x (with some changes, such as accounting for lack of gesture area on Touchpad) in one release.
    Obviously, that would be a hell of a lot of work, but it's a nice eventual goal/dream, I think :P
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    BTW, if I type "face" into Just Type on my TouchPad, the first option is "Facebook Tablet", followed by some Facebook contacts. Not sure what you're getting.
    I guess that just means you don't have a contact that list "***@facebook.com" as their profile email. Though Facebook now offers email service through the chat function, not much people actually use that as their primary email address. However, this is just one example of how Just type doesn't work as well in webOS 3.

Another example is that if I use the keyboard to type out a URL, let's say "www.precentral.net" really fast and press enter right away, the browser would come up, and tell me that the URL "www.precentra" could not be found. After I typed in the URL, I would need to wait 2secs and then press enter for the full URL to get passed on to the browser.

As for the Enyo phone dialer, all I've noticed is that it is aesthetically less polished; but haven't found any functional defect. My primary phone is still a Sprint Pre with 1.4.5 anyways.
    do you have the Facebook app installed?

Apps -always- come up first in search results. Not sure if that includes Launcher Shortcuts, if you prefer the web page.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are: