1.    #1  
    Thinking of moving from my FrankenPre 2 on Sprint to a new Pre3. I'm not familiar at all with any of the other carriers out there and am looking for advice on which version I should get. A requirement on my end is that I'd like to take advantage of 4g speeds and freetether. I'm aware of the "reset" requirement with freetether on the Pre3 and that is not an issue with me.

1. As far as I can tell the unlocked AT&T version will work with any carrier, including AT&T but if I want the 4g speeds, I need to stick with AT&T. Is this true or can I also get the speeds on Verizon's network.

2. Should I just get the AT&T or Verizon version if I plan to stick with either of those carriers?

3. I've often heard that AT&T's coverage sucks vs. Verizon or Sprint... any truth to this claim?

4. Is there still no way to sync the Pre3 with the Touchpad as the devices were originally intended?

5. Any advice that you can offer?
    Last edited by RX-Heven; 12/11/2011 at 01:37 PM.
    Well my new Verizon Pre 3 is still in transit, so I'm afraid I can't help too much with that part. I would suggest you look at both Verizon's and AT&T's coverage map to help you decide. Since you have been with Sprint, you may be using Verizon towers in some locations already as both are CDMA technology.

From my experience AT&T is good in large metro areas but Verizon has much more coverage out in rural areas. Where I live, Verizon is the only real choice.

If you live in a metro area take a strong look at an AT&T Pre3. They are cheaper than the Verizon by about half, they have 4G speed in the metro areas, and I would think you can always unlock the phone latter. I also like the ability to move the SIM from one phone to another if there are problems. Some folks talk of having a spare Veer for this use. I personally have a PIXI+ that I carry as a back up to my Pre+. I guess the Pre+ will now be the backup.

Cheers
    I don't think the unlocked ones will work on Sprint. Unlocked ones are GSM and Sprint is CDMA.

I don't think you can use a Verizon Pre 3 on Sprint because CDMA carriers don't generally allow other carrier's phones on their systems. Hence, the Franken Pre2, with a Verizon body and Sprint radio.
    1. at&t Pre 3 will work on GSM networks but if you want faux G you have to use at&t. The Verizon Pre 3 is only 3G, no 4G.

2. Not very many Verizon Pre 3s were released to the public so they are hard to find and when you do find one they are going for around 450 dollars or more. at&t Pre 3s are easier to find but the supply is drying up but you can still find them for 200 dollars and up.

3. I am using an at&t Pre 3 on at&t and I work in the CA, NV & AZ tri state area and the coverage has been about the same as Sprint but I can tell you that the Faux G of at&t is much faster than Sprints 3G and so far I am really happy with it.

4. Touch to share works between my Pre 3 and my TouchPad (web pages only) and the parring with between my TouchPad and Pre 3 allows me to call and SMS text with my TouchPad. They have an App now where you can transfer data via bluetooth.

5. If you love webOS and want to continue with it than the Pre 3 is the way to go, almost 3 months now with my Pre 3 and I am extremely happy that I purchased it, so happy that I purchased another one for a backup in case Murphy wrecks my original Pre 3.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    4. Touch to share works between my Pre 3 and my TouchPad (web pages only) and the parring with between my TouchPad and Pre 3 allows me to call and SMS text with my TouchPad. They have an App now where you can transfer data via bluetooth.
    What is the name of this application?

P.S. Sorry for offtopic .
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the responses guys. Guess I will just order one of the unlocked AT&T versions unlocked and try out their network.
    Does a Verizon Pre 3 works for AT&T or TMobile?
    My WebOS Wealth:
    TouchPads :
    * AT&T32GB, 4S - UNLOCKED!!!! (total 5 of these, all with Android 4.4.4
    * Touchpad GO with WebOS (total 3 of these, trying to get android on these... but how?)
    Pre 3: Three of AT&T Pre 3s, One Verizon Pre 3
    Want to sell any of the above for a good price(Just want to keep one go if I get android on them)
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre3Fan View Post
    Does a Verizon Pre 3 works for AT&T or TMobile?
    Technically yes, it has a quadband GSM radio in it as well as UMTS on the 900/2100 bands. But if you are looking to use it on AT&T or T-mobile go for the AT&T unlocked model if you want to use it for AT&T's "4G" and you want 16 gigs of storage space, whereas the Euro Unlocked version has 8 gigs of storage and trades the 850 UMTS band for the 900 UMTS band.

Only go for the Verizon version if you actually want to use Verizon. You will pay almost double the cost of an unlocked/ATT Pre3 for a Verizon one, and there are fewer out there so the people on Verizon who really want one have one less to use legitimately.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    on eBay the at&t price is now moving up to close to 400 for pre 3 . Never in my life have I heard of a discountinued phone using a discontinued os (almost) going up in price. Its all so bizarre , like does anyone in the cell phone business notice this stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by reedacus25 View Post
    Technically yes, it has a quadband GSM radio in it as well as UMTS on the 900/2100 bands. But if you are looking to use it on AT&T or T-mobile go for the AT&T unlocked model if you want to use it for AT&T's "4G" and you want 16 gigs of storage space, whereas the Euro Unlocked version has 8 gigs of storage and trades the 850 UMTS band for the 900 UMTS band.

Only go for the Verizon version if you actually want to use Verizon. You will pay almost double the cost of an unlocked/ATT Pre3 for a Verizon one, and there are fewer out there so the people on Verizon who really want one have one less to use legitimately.
    Thanks for your detailed reply..
    In fact, I am currently owning both ATT and VZW versions and using ATT (Unlocked) version for my TMobile.
    I am thinking of Switching to VZW model(and sell the ATT) if the VZW supports both CDMA and GSM features across, I dont need to change phone in future just because of cell network. Its like single stop shopping for me for all the cell service providers across many countries..
    Is this a correct understanding?
    My WebOS Wealth:
    TouchPads :
    * AT&T32GB, 4S - UNLOCKED!!!! (total 5 of these, all with Android 4.4.4
    * Touchpad GO with WebOS (total 3 of these, trying to get android on these... but how?)
    Pre 3: Three of AT&T Pre 3s, One Verizon Pre 3
    Want to sell any of the above for a good price(Just want to keep one go if I get android on them)
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RX-Heven View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. Guess I will just order one of the unlocked AT&T versions unlocked and try out their network.
    I don't think you'll regret it at all. I've had one for over two months now and I have no problems with it. I was a bit nervous about leaving Sprint for at&t (having heard all the horror stories). I have not had any problems yet. I live in a rural area and my 4G works consistently. As for touch-to-share (TTS), it does work (I've transferred web pages between my Pre 3 and my TouchPad). Supposedly, with the webOS 2.2.4 update, you can also TTS between Pre 3s too (that is, if you can find someone else with one! ).
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    I don't think the Verizon Pre3 will work with US GSM carriers. It was designed as a world phone and comes with a Vodaphone SIM for use in Europe.

I have heard the GSM is not too good in other posts. One guy used his in Europe and said it was spotty.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Have an ATT and Verizon Pre 3. Hands down the Verizon is a little more polished and the service on Verizon is great. Strong signal all over NYC. ATT drops calls at three different locations I drive every day. Verizon does not. Battery life a little better on Verizon because signal so strong always. ATT 4G is fast but phones are mostly used on Wifi so that there is little benefit. Visual Voice mail integration much better on Verizon. Skype used to be better. If I were a free agent carrier wise I would go for Verizon. JMHO.