Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Is there a version that will work on the Pre3?

Alan
    No
    Did anybody try apptuckerbox to install the tp version on the Pre3? Didn't have a look at it yet and currently have no good data connection available to do the 17MB DL (what the heck is in there???).
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    FYI - I used App Tuckerbox to install beta version 0.11.499820 and it installs, but at the Register this Kindle I put in my login info and get told I need an internet connection. I've tried on both WiFi and 3G

sad panda

I've previously emailed Amazon/Kindle support asking they mark it as available for the Pre3 since the screen is the same as an ipod Touch but apparently that didn't work!
    I'm having the exact same problem with the 'no internet connection' on the pre3 after installing via apptuckerbox. looks like it must be something in how 3.x.x recognizes that the device is connected to the internet. If anyone else has any ideas on how to fix this, i'd love to hear your thoughts!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    If you like my patches or have found them to be helpful to you, please consider donating here for the time I put into making them.
    - All my programming is done in my spare time, so any donations help motivate me to spend more of my limited time on webOS.
    I think it only looks ok/scales a bit in landscape tho yeah? Think portrait didnt work too well for me.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I thought webOS 3.x was very different from 2.x ?? Is there any reason to think a lot of apps will be backwards compatible .. aside from screen size?

Screen size would not explain the data connection issue, would it? Isn't that more likely a sign of an incompatibility in the comm functions, e.g. Kindle is looking for something that's there in 3.x but not in 2.x or works differently?

For the record, I don't have specific information one way or the other. It's just that everything I've read indicates that 2.x and 3.x have -- at least -- very different UI engines. "Mojo" vs "Enyo"?? Maybe other differences?

I will follow this thread because I love the Kindle on my TP and would love to get it working on my Pre3. Preader native could be good if it worked reliably but it takes an average of four starts to get the library to load and it doesn't know how to use a table of contents.

...ken...
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    FYI - I used App Tuckerbox to install beta version 0.11.499820 and it installs, but at the Register this Kindle I put in my login info and get told I need an internet connection. I've tried on both WiFi and 3G

sad panda

I've previously emailed Amazon/Kindle support asking they mark it as available for the Pre3 since the screen is the same as an ipod Touch but apparently that didn't work!
    the same with me! hix :'(
    Awhile back I tried installing the v12.50 .ipk that's floating around, and the install never finished (fine on the tp though). Perhaps I'll try putting on 11.49 first via app tuckerbox and then update to 12.50 with the .ipk... Will report back if anything good happens.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 12/26/2011 at 08:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    Awhile back I tried installing the v12.50 .ipk that's floating around, and the install never finished (fine on the tp though). Perhaps I'll try putting on 11.50 first via app tuckerbox and then update to 12.50 with the .ipk... Will report back if anything good happens.
    Hi! I've got v.0.11.499820 installed and working but I'd like to try v12.50... where can I download it from?

Tnx!
    Quote Originally Posted by quini View Post
    Hi! I've got v.0.11.499820 installed and working but I'd like to try v12.50... where can I download it from?

Tnx!
    How did you get past the "No Internet Connection" problem on 0.11.499820 on the Pre3?
    Quote Originally Posted by quini View Post
    I stumbled across it in a thread in these forums, though I don't recall which one (obviously one having to do with Kindle, of course). It's probably been removed by now, as it definitely against the rules regarding unreleased software. At least I assume it is... the Kindle 0.12.50 .ipk came from a TouchPad shipped by HP with it installed, but I don't know if that can be construed as being "released". HP certainly didn't seem to think accidentally shipping a TouchPad (or 3?) with Android on it meant they were releasing it.

edit: I suppose I can tell you the name of the file: com.palm.app.kindle_0.12.50_all.ipk
    edit 2: and no, I have no idea what, if anything, is different in this version. I don't have another TouchPad with 11.49.whatever on it to compare.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 12/26/2011 at 07:57 PM.
    ok, I put kindle 11.49.whatever on my Pre3 - no internet connection. then updated to 12.50 using the afformentioned .ipk, and it installed just fine. But... no internet connection. So whatever is different in 12.50, it doesn't help on the Pre3.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Would be over the moon to see this!
    I hate Kindle on TP. I had to use unnecessary means to have it even work. Whoever designed the app needs a slap on the face!
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    I hate Kindle on TP. I had to use unnecessary means to have it even work. Whoever designed the app needs a slap on the face!
    What unnecessary means? All I did was type in my amazon account e-mail and password... what else could you possibly have to do? What should the app do different? It seems to work fine for everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by anseld1986 View Post
    How did you get past the "No Internet Connection" problem on 0.11.499820 on the Pre3?
    Ups... I'm sorry I was speaking about the kindle app in my touchpad... O8-)

Same behaviour in my Pre3: it complains about no internet connection.
    I'd prefer an iBooks copy on my pre 3 and touchpad. Ibooks on my iphone is so slick, superb
    If someone could make a save/restore script for Kindle beta, we might be able to restore our account info without that login screen.. someone should definitely try that.. probably a database file we can copy over from TouchPad.
    The belief that it can't connect to the internet may affect the entire app, not just the login screen. I suppose it's worth a try though.

I recall that the Kobo reader was afflicted by a similar bug on webOS 2; someone smarter than me looked at the code and figured out it was attempting to connect to the internet using the bluetooth stack. They were able to patch it so that it used the network stack instead. It's possible the Kindle failure on Pre3 is of a similar nature, but whether it can be found and fixed is another matter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast