Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I am trying to launch the Camera app on my AT&T Pre 3. When I try to do so, the app looks like it is initializing, flashes to a white screen and the repeats the process infinitely, with the camera never coming up.

I've already tried doctoring the phone and removing all images from the device to fix the issue after finding similar threads for the Touchpad/Pre3 but neither technique fixed the issue.

Does anyone have any additional suggestions on how to get the camera working again?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguychicago View Post
    I am trying to launch the Camera app on my AT&T Pre 3. When I try to do so, the app looks like it is initializing, flashes to a white screen and the repeats the process infinitely, with the camera never coming up.

I've already tried doctoring the phone and removing all images from the device to fix the issue after finding similar threads for the Touchpad/Pre3 but neither technique fixed the issue.

Does anyone have any additional suggestions on how to get the camera working again?

Thanks!
    Do you have "muffle system logging" patch installed? If so, uninstall this. It has been known to cause issues.
    I have the same thing, it happens suddenly, i have took pictures in the beginning of the evening and now the camera doesn't work now, I have uninstall muffle system logging but this does not make the camera working

Help

Alain
    ----------------------------------
    Alain (abellemare44)
    HP Pre3 2.2.4 (ATT 4G 16 Gigs) with BELL in Canada

HP TouchPad 16 Gigs Wifi
    With UberKernel 3.0.4 1,8 Ghz
    Cyanogenmod 7 Alpha 3,5 Android 2.3.7

PS: sorry for the bad english, it's not my native language
    If it's not too much bother, re-doctor and DO NOT reapply the muffle patch.
    I have uninstall PREWARE because I have Alpha and Beta Feeds and I have installed and update of preware this morning, but the camera was working after that, but now I have uninstall PREWARE and everything is OK

Yes Sir
    Alain (abellemare44)

HP TouchPad 16 Gigs Wifi

6.    #6  
    In my case the Muffle patch may have been installed. However, having doctored the phone without removing the patch, I'm afraid that the residual from this and other patches are still present.

Is there a way to restore the device to a complete factory state, minus any patch residuals?

I've tried doctoring alone, clearing all data then doctoring. Nothing has gotten the camera to work again.
    Doctoring after erasing all data (Be sure to select erase all data on Reste Options) is the only way to factory reset the phone!!

Try with another profile to try to reset data!!

Good luck

Alain
    Alain (abellemare44)

HP TouchPad 16 Gigs Wifi

8.    #8  
    I finally got it restored to factory settings but the camera is still malfunctioning. Is it possible the camera went bad? If so, does HP offer service for the Pre3 or am I out of luck?
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguychicago View Post
    I finally got it restored to factory settings but the camera is still malfunctioning. Is it possible the camera went bad? If so, does HP offer service for the Pre3 or am I out of luck?
    You ran Emergency Patch Recovery, "Secure Full Erase"d your phone, doctored and still have no camera? Sounds like a replacement via warranty is in order to me. I had the same problem with my TouchPad and had it fixed in about a week.
  10.    #10  
    I contacted HP and they are not providing service for the Pre3. Does anyone have any suggestions where I might go to get this fixed?

Thanks!
    It is possible you have a corrupt version of your webOS Doctor. Have you tried a different version (2.2.0 or 2.2.3)? Maybe a fresh install before calling it a hardware failure. Where did you get it and how long have you had it? Contact the seller? I'd be pretty angry; feel your pain! I'd also hold HP responsible. Talk to a supervisor and really work up an attitude or keep calling. Sometimes a squeaky wheel gets the grease.
  12.    #12  
    I downloaded the doctor from webOS Internals. I also tried a different version (The 2.2.0 for the unlocked phone). It reported that that version was not compatible with my phone (AT&T Pre3).

As for complaining to the seller, I don't think I have much option there. It was purchased off of eBay from what I assume was an HP employee. The camera was working fine up until last weekend.

It seems unlikely HP will ever service it, much less support it unless someone here knows of a way to get paid support for the device.
    If you go into device info and go on the drop down menu there are hardware tests you can run, I am sure one of them is for the camera you can try running those to see if they tell you anymore
    I had the same problem. Erasing everything (just in case) and restoring from the doctor fixed it for me.

I'm being very conservative with my patches going forward.
  15.    #15  
    I was hoping doctoring the device to 2.2.4 after doing the full erase would have fixed the device. Unfortunately, nothing changed. Grr.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Hi bikeguychicago,
    Just to let you know, i have a similar problem on a Pre 3 bought from the HP Ireland store. It's an 8 gig European model. What happened was there was an intermittent reset problem and it finally refused to start after a reset. i did have many patches installed; i don't know about the "muffle" one. I think the file structure was corrupted because when I tried to doctor, it kept stopping at 12%

I was able to get it going by using Novacom and nuking the filestructure (USB partition and all) following instructions here: WebOS Doctor - 12% Issue - Fixed!!!

I followed this by putting the phone in bootie mode, and doctoring it. When it came back online, everything seemed to work except for the camera: the startscreen with the camera icon would come up, but no noise came from the camera autofocus motor, and the screen remained grey, flashing to white from time to time.

I just did a real full erase, but no re-doctor and the camera is working again.

The phone had been updated to 2.2.4 and the doctor was to the same version.

I'm not sure if the camera and the 12% stuck doctor partitioning problem could be related...

Anyone knowledgable in this out there? Is recreating the filestructure with "mkfs.msdos /dev/mapper/store-media" make your phone fresher than a full erase and doctor? Or did I just have two unrelated problems?

Anyway, my Pre 3 is back to working order. Good luck with yours.

Edit: Oh yes: I used the same Palm profile.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Hey everyone, I'm having this EXACT same issue. I have NO IDEA if this is related to the media issue that some phones have had because I don't use my phone for music, but I definitely need the camera to work. It happened when I decided to wipe everything, including the USB drive. After that, I have no access to the camera. It just shows the icon on the screen when I open it and it flashes white every 10 seconds or so (just like the above). The interesting thing is that I have NOT installed non-official software or patches to the phone. It's been stock all the time.

What should I do? I'm really feeling helpless as I've tried to full wipe plenty of times, I've tried secure full wipe a few times too. I did webOS Doctor once. What is this related to? Can I get warranty support for the phone? The phone hasn't been dropped and there is no water damage, so I don't believe it's a hardware issue because it happened AFTER I did a full wipe.

Somebody please help me with suggestions or possible fixes! I will be very grateful!
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Have you tried to re-download the webOS doctor and redoctor?
    Can you use the front-facing camera as a workaround?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Thank you for replying! I did webOS doctor with no luck. And no, the front camera doesn't work either. Do you think it's software related?
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I would guess it's a software problem. You said you didn't install any 3rd party apps or patch? Did you set logging level to minimal?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast