1.    #1  
    Dear fellow Pre fans.
    I need your help.

I had created an IMAP email account and that seemed to work fine. I say "seemed" because receiving email worked fine but I am not sure I ever was able to send email using that account.

Now recently I tried sending email using that account and noticed that the messages got stuck in the Outbox. The support team of the email service provider had me check all my settings but they were correct. To be sure that my password was correct I deliberatly entered a wrong password for the SMTP server in the account setup and when I clicked 'Connect' the correct error came back. When I reentered the right password I could finish the account update.
    I use exactly the same settings with Outlook and everything works.

I then removed the email account and tried to recreate it.
    And now there is a strange thing happening:

Whenever I tap 'Connect' afer entering all the account parameters I receive the error
    "Unable to open a session. Your user name or password are incorrect".

I don't know if that is of any relevance but these are the ports used:
    IMAP SSL 993
    SMTP SSL 465

So I am unable to create that email account where before I could.

Has anybody experienced anything similar?
    Any ideas?
    I believe there can be email outgoing server issues on some email accounts. For instance my ISP for my home is Charter internet and it won't let me send emails even though I receive them with noe issues--but when I select the gmail sever for outgoing emails it works fine.

My suggestion is create a gmail account if you don't have one and use that for your outgoing server. You will drive yourself crazy trying to fix it otherwise. This is an easy work around, even if not a great solution.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    I believe there can be email outgoing server issues on some email accounts. For instance my ISP for my home is Charter internet and it won't let me send emails even though I receive them with noe issues--but when I select the gmail sever for outgoing emails it works fine.

My suggestion is create a gmail account if you don't have one and use that for your outgoing server. You will drive yourself crazy trying to fix it otherwise. This is an easy work around, even if not a great solution.
    Thanks for your feedback Dsol.
    But I don't want a gmail account.

I guess this was not not very clear in my post but my real issue now is no longer the smtp not working but that I am unable to create the email account on the Pre.
    I was able to create the account before and usually even if the outgoing server does not work during setup there is a message saying 'outgoing server does not work, do you want to set up the account anyway?".
    I think that my current problem - my inability to create the account - has nothing to do with the email service provider. I think there is some Pre-internal problem for which I need a workaround.