Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By netwrkr9
  1.    #1  
    I am based in London and I also have an iPhone in addition to Pre 3. I find the Audio quality is very tinny in comparision to iPhone (my son will keep the iPhone).

Secondly the volume even at full is quite low almost the equivalent of 60% volume in iPhone. I am not sure whether the volume is limited by software or something but just regretting that music player is so pooer but have signed up to a contract..

I am not a ******, but I don't know whether I am comparing Apples with Pears ? but I was sold by the marketing hype of Beats audio etc but now am gutted..

Is this view in general or should I be purchasing an music player app if so, any recommendations pls ?

Thanks.
    The Pre3 did not get Beats Audio, only the Touchpad did, afaikafaikafaik.

For the volume issue you could try the increase pulse audio volume patch... I think it's only available for the TouchPad right now, but it should basically also work on the Pre3. Sadly that makes it much harder to apply the patch... How good are you with computers? Do you know some linux command line?

There are some other music players (best in my opinion is music player remix, but it has maaaaaaany features, it's a bit bloated at times)... but they usually just add some gui/network features. The playback is done by the same system components.

There is one player, I think it was "kalem soft", which originaly is for videos, which comes with libav and does all the decoding himself... you might try that one, if that helps a bit.

Another option could be Bluetooth Stereo Headsets, because then a different amplifier (the one from the headsets) is in charge and so on... but that usually does not improve sound.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, I read something about Audiophile, which provides more volume than default, but google links points to sourcecode and not the App ? I will try the Kalem Soft from HP App Catalog.. I am reasonably good with Unix commandline, but not expert..

Any other suggestions welcome..
    Maybe it is your headphones or your Pre 3 but the audio quality of my Pre 3 is very good, just as good if not better than my ipod. I travel a lot for my work and when I am not listening to music thru my Sony noise cancelling ear buds, I have my Pre 3 connected via the aux jack of my rental and the sound is awesome, so good that I leave my ipod at home now when I travel.
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Another option could be Bluetooth Stereo Headsets, because then a different amplifier (the one from the headsets) is in charge and so on... but that usually does not improve sound.
    I am really quite satisfied using a SonyEricsson MW600 with my phones. The nice thing is that it is a Bluetooth headset which uses any standard headphones (3.5 mm). Even the regular Pre headphones work with it. (Microphone is built into it so you can use it for phone calls.)

So, question of sound quality mitigated to the BT headset :-)

Cheers
    Max
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritchaser View Post
    I am based in London and I also have an iPhone in addition to Pre 3. I find the Audio quality is very tinny in comparision to iPhone (my son will keep the iPhone).

Secondly the volume even at full is quite low almost the equivalent of 60% volume in iPhone. I am not sure whether the volume is limited by software or something but just regretting that music player is so pooer but have signed up to a contract..

I am not a ******, but I don't know whether I am comparing Apples with Pears ? but I was sold by the marketing hype of Beats audio etc but now am gutted..

Is this view in general or should I be purchasing an music player app if so, any recommendations pls ?

Thanks.
    Purely my own experience here, so I hope it doesn't come accross as an invalidation attempt. Everyone's experience is different, so take it for what it's worth.

I'm a self proclaimed audiophile, and really haven't had much to complain about with the Pre3. There are many factors that can play into sound degredation, so it's tough to pinpoint what the issues could be. However, as someone who routinely listens to mobile music via an iPod, Pre+, iPad2, TouchPad, and Pre3...I can say that in my own experience, the Pre3 is up to snuff.

I use Music Player Remix, and have two sets of headphones I rotate based on where & how I'm listening. One pair are the Klipsch S5i headphones & the other pair are the Shure SE215's. Neither are the top of the line, but both create a nice mobile option with very good 'seals'. I have not noticed any of what you described with the Pre3. Most of the time I hear complaints about sound quality, it's due to a poor pair of headphones, a faulty wire (frayed or split beneath the shielding), or a preference of deep bass vs. a more crisp overall sound with low bass.

I'm a little stumped b/c you can go from device to device & hear a significantly negative difference, however some devices will sound better on a lower quality set of phones & some devices truly require premium phones to shine. It is possible even if you do have a premium set of phones, your set of phones may be a pair that don't add much in the way of the bass range? If that was the case & the iDevice has a higher internal bass setting, that could be your issue. I really don't know.

Just wanted to offer insight from my own experience. I don't share the same audio defficiency, so something sounds off to me. Happy to help with other ideas, but I'll wait to see what else you can find out on your own. Keep us posted.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    One question, is there a particular sample track you can offer up where you notice the most significant difference? Later tonight (in the US) I can test that track on my devices & let you know what I hear. Maybe you just have a bad Pre3? Possible I guess.

Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Please see the thread about TouchVol. This provides much greater control than the audio boost patch. It also allows you to adjust a 5 band equalizer.

Although it was originally for the Touchpad, the author updated it so it also works on the Pre 3.
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Maybe it is your headphones or your Pre 3 but the audio quality of my Pre 3 is very good, just as good if not better than my ipod. I travel a lot for my work and when I am not listening to music thru my Sony noise cancelling ear buds, I have my Pre 3 connected via the aux jack of my rental and the sound is awesome, so good that I leave my ipod at home now when I travel.
    same, my pre3 volume and clarity are superb, even use it to wake me up every morning using mode switcher to auto play my music collection every morning.
    One thing that just popped into my mind: The first few times I tried music from my Pre3, I did not connect the 3.5mm headset jack properly... the sound was awful and volume was low, too.
    Be sure to really press the 3.5mm jack in. It seems quite firm, even if it's not attached properly. Maybe you ran into that same issue?

@m-h-k: Yeah, they are great... really liked them, too. Sad I broke mine some time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    One thing that just popped into my mind: The first few times I tried music from my Pre3, I did not connect the 3.5mm headset jack properly... the sound was awful and volume was low, too.
    Be sure to really press the 3.5mm jack in. It seems quite firm, even if it's not attached properly. Maybe you ran into that same issue?

@m-h-k: Yeah, they are great... really liked them, too. Sad I broke mine some time ago.
    I would second this. Sometimes you do have to press hard. There is also an occasional bug where it won't sense the headphones at all & will only play through the speaker. If that ever happens you should reboot. Sometimes I can close the app, wait a few seconds, then put the headphones back in & start the app back up....but that doesn't always work.