Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I have a pre 3 (2 of them in fact) that no longer have working speakers. The issue started when I replaced the volume control ribbon on both because they tore from catching the slider while opening the keyboard.

The odd thing is that the headset and volume control works now ( but only with the headset). Bluetooth works well as well. I'm an expert with removing and replacing PCBs so I don't believe I've damaged any connectors, wires, etc.

Does anyone know what might be happening? I tried resetting, reinstalling webosdoctor and pulseaudio but nothing. I hooked up a volt meter to a working pre 3 then put it on speaker mode to see if a working one would register and it did. However, in these 2 phones there's no voltage going through the speaker connector located on the back bottom side of the pre 3.

If anyone has disassembled and reassembled a pre3 please let me know if you ran into any similar issues.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Speaker problem solved!!

After a week of trying things and disassembling the whole phone 3 times I finally figured out why the speaker didn't work and found an easy fix.

After taking the phone apart I found that the speaker sits on top of 2 spring type connectors. These are fine but on the circuitboard just a quarter inch above the spring connectors are 2 extremely tiny and fragile miniature coils that are almost microscopic. The connect the speaker circuit to the main board and are extremely easy to break and lose. In fact, the speaker magnet had picked them both up. They are likely inductions coils to help with noise reduction but they really don't make a significant different.

The fix: I very lightly touched some solder to the exposed connectors to close the circuit on both right and left sides (there are 2 such micro induction coils that break off just by brushing them lightly). The solder did the trick. Speaker is working great. What a horrible and rather ******** design. What were they thinking at HP. I like the phone, it's extremely easy to take apart and work on but there are some real booby traps of which these induction coils are a major and very inconspicuous one!

Enjoy the fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by jshalaby View Post
    Speaker problem solved!!

After a week of trying things and disassembling the whole phone 3 times I finally figured out why the speaker didn't work and found an easy fix.

After taking the phone apart I found that the speaker sits on top of 2 spring type connectors. These are fine but on the circuitboard just a quarter inch above the spring connectors are 2 extremely tiny and fragile miniature coils that are almost microscopic. The connect the speaker circuit to the main board and are extremely easy to break and lose. In fact, the speaker magnet had picked them both up. They are likely inductions coils to help with noise reduction but they really don't make a significant different.

The fix: I very lightly touched some solder to the exposed connectors to close the circuit on both right and left sides (there are 2 such micro induction coils that break off just by brushing them lightly). The solder did the trick. Speaker is working great. What a horrible and rather ******** design. What were they thinking at HP. I like the phone, it's extremely easy to take apart and work on but there are some real booby traps of which these induction coils are a major and very inconspicuous one!

Enjoy the fix.
    Can you post a photo of that soldering point? I have a phone with the same problems as you. Also, where did you find extra volume control ribbons?
    I also have almost no sound on my Pre 3; most I can get is a "crackling" sound for anything (from music to just throwing a card off). I thought it was just the speaker until I found that it comes out the same from anything I plug into the headset jack. Been meaning to find my bluetooth headset and see if that does the same.

Anyway, I'd also greatly appreciate some pictures or video (if you don't mind disassembling your phone again, but I understand if you wouldn't want to).

Also, what did you use to get out those screws? Where can I find a screwdriver to fit those odd star-shaped crevices? o_O I haven't taken too many phones apart so I don't have anything that shape or that small.
    Palm Zire 72 > TX > Treo 700w > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Pre Plus > Pre 2 > Pre 3
    wow man! Great to hear - same issue here, after dissassembling mine (to get fixed a loose slider mechanism, from new), my sound stopped working unless using headset/loudspeaker. Good to know it is fixable, will need to give it a try.

Best Regards
    Just tried the procedure. This is definitely not for the faint at heart. First time opening a phone? Forget about it.
    If you want to go ahead, here are some pointers - a HP Pre3 disassembly document - shows the proper steps. I put it in a tiny URL as the original URL is huge:

http://tinyurl.com/6ny8oo6

Removing the mirror is a tricky part. I used a blow drier to heat the mirror and soften the glue to make it easier to pry and remove.

I could not find the speaker micro coil contacts and decided to leave this to a professional. Oh well...
    Quote Originally Posted by jshalaby View Post
    Speaker problem solved!!

Enjoy the fix.
    Which speaker are you talking about? The front/phone speaker or the rear speaker?
    Quote Originally Posted by delurgio View Post
    Which speaker are you talking about? The front/phone speaker or the rear speaker?
    Pretty sure he's talking about the rear speaker. I have one disassembled for parts & while I didn't remove the speaker yet, I'm pretty sure that's what he's referring to.
    A hint :
    As far as I can tell the coils should be there, under the battery pull.

A question:
    Nevertheless I am not sure how to fix this and where to put the soldering...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I soldered over the two connections shown in the pic and also on the speaker connection and got one to work.