Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44
Like Tree8Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by corbey94 View Post
    the model number in that accessory pack - HP-FB338AA-AC3, does match the one sold standalone HP Touchstone Charging Dock for Pre 3 - Palm Accessories... the original number for the Palm Pre touchstone is 3454WW.

    thinking about ordering one as my pre 3 doesn't sit on the original properly at all, but for about £25 more than a normal model, it doesn't seem worth it.
    if you see the link I posted some days ago, you'll find out that the hp touchstone is exactly the palm one with just a different part number and a new box
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    if you see the link I posted some days ago, you'll find out that the hp touchstone is exactly the palm one with just a different part number and a new box
    True.
    That accessory pack is all old sh!t with new part numbers.
    It says the car charger supports the TouchPad. Case of blatant misinfo: trickle charge only.
  3. #23  
    Just to add weight to the discussion, I have:
    - an 'old style' TS 3454WW from ebay
    -a 'new style' HP-FB3388AA-AC3 from pal eurostore
    -another new one from an accessory pack bundle off ebay.

    The boxing is different. The old ones are in the palm boxes, new ones in hp style black with white sleeve. The new ones have a label saying compatability with Pre2.

    They seem identical. The older one doesn't work as well (once fully charged, the pre3 fluctuates between charging and charged), but that's prolly just down to natural variation in production.

    There has been one post on the boards that says the new pre3 ones are larger, but no one else has agreed with that

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    The older one doesn't work as well (once fully charged, the pre3 fluctuates between charging and charged), but that's prolly just down to natural variation in production.
    do you mean you get the audio system sound saying it's again recharging?
    or you mean it's fluctuating btw 98% and 100%
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    do you mean you get the audio system sound saying it's again recharging?
    Yeah this. As it reaches 100%, it disconnects and reconnects so that it notifies as 'charging' every 10 seconds or so

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by Andyf; 01/15/2012 at 05:19 PM.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    Just to add weight to the discussion, I have:
    - an 'old style' TS 3454WW from ebay
    -a 'new style' HP-FB3388AA-AC3 from pal eurostore
    -another new one from an accessory pack bundle off ebay.

    The boxing is different. The old ones are in the palm boxes, new ones in hp style black with white sleeve. The new ones have a label saying compatability with Pre2.

    They seem identical. The older one doesn't work as well (once fully charged, the pre3 fluctuates between charging and charged), but that's prolly just down to natural variation in production.

    There has been one post on the boards that says the new pre3 ones are larger, but no one else has agreed with that

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Can anyone else confirm this? If so i think i need one of the newer ones. The touchstone making noise with my pre3 has gotten annoying, often waking me up in the early morning...
  7. #27  
    Well, I've an old touchstone ( new old stock ) and

    1) I get the sound only when I put the phone on it. Otherwise silence
    2) But I've noticed that it tends to charge up to 98%, lot of times (think it goes up to 100, then discharges slowly down to 98)
    3) lot of people reported pre3 to be very unsteady on the touchstones, but in my case the magnetic grip is very solid
  8. #28  
    I've got an old TS too, and mine works fine. When I first got my Pre3, it did the whole, chargeing, charging, charging messages, but that was it.

    sometimes it doesn't sit right, so I just turn it horizontally. That seems to be ok!!

    @Krab19 when I was reading about the new Pre3 TS's, it wasn't necessarily bigger, just flatter to accommodate the new back.
  9. carldc's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #29  
    -carldc

    m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
  10. aa6vh's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    #30  
    There is an long time problem where certain Pre's were not compatible with certain Touchstones. As I recall, the magnetic contact spacing varied enough that it would work on some, not on others. In other words, certain Pre/Touchstone pairs will not work together, but that Pre will work with other Touchstones, and that Touchstone would work with other Pre's. And there were some Touchstones that just would not work with any Pre's, unfortunately.

    I have one Touchstone that exhibits the problem where it cycles on and off when the Pre (AT&T Pre+) gets fully charged. I have delegated that Touchstone to my work, where the noise will not bother me. I do not have a problem with any of my other Touchstones. It also seems that my new Pre 3 works fine with that errant Touchstone.

    Some have found that putting a business card between the phone and Touchstone can solve the problem. Some have found that surgery to the phone can help. There are quite a few old threads discussing this cycling problem.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by aa6vh View Post
    There is an long time problem where certain Pre's were not compatible with certain Touchstones. As I recall, the magnetic contact spacing varied enough that it would work on some, not on others. In other words, certain Pre/Touchstone pairs will not work together, but that Pre will work with other Touchstones, and that Touchstone would work with other Pre's. And there were some Touchstones that just would not work with any Pre's, unfortunately.
    In my experience I have only had 1 bad TS that was exchanged by VZW. We have around 8 phone TS's, 4 that are used on a regular (daily) basis, they have been used with Sprint Pres, Veers, Pre2s, and a Pre3 all have worked fine thus far (knock on wood).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  12. T-Pad's Avatar
    Posts
    327 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    #32  
    Is the TS bundled with the Veer the old or new one (or a completely different version)? At least my Pre³ charges well with my brother's Veer TS and I haven't observed the dis/reconnection problem mentioned above when 100% are reached.
    Pre³ (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    Is the TS bundled with the Veer the old or new one (or a completely different version)? At least my Pre³ charges well with my brother's Veer TS and I haven't observed the dis/reconnection problem mentioned above when 100% are reached.
    All of the TouchStones out there "in the wild" are the same hardware - there have been a fair number of firmware fixes, so newer devices will likely work "better" than older devices. (A lot of problems are due to tolerances stacking up the 'wrong' way: the phone is a little off _this_ way while the TS if off _that_ way....)

    There was a TS2 in the works, but I've never even seen a working version.....

    edc
  14. #34  
    real pity that there's no way to "flash" a newer firmware ( or so I guess ).
    Any way to check which firmware is a TS using ?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    real pity that there's no way to "flash" a newer firmware ( or so I guess ).
    Any way to check which firmware is a TS using ?
    I think you are confused, the mention of firmware was phone updates, that (as we have seen with TouchPad) can change the sensitivity of the TS feature on the device.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I think you are confused, the mention of firmware was phone updates, that (as we have seen with TouchPad) can change the sensitivity of the TS feature on the device.
    Actually mazzinia got it right - there is an "a6" processor in the TouchStone and it has firmware that can be updated if you have the right magic. Unfortunately for us all, that part of the ecosystem was considered to be "hardware" and as with all of our hardware engineers, the guy responsible for the firmware and the updating tools and such is long gone.....

    OldSkool also got it right that what gets called "firmware" on the phone itself can also affect charging. In this case it would be a userspace daemon process called powerd.

    (Actually, to make it even worse, the a6 in the TS talks to the a6 in the phone, which has its _own_ actual firmware, which again was handled by the "hardware" guy....)

    edc
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by chejlava View Post
    Actually mazzinia got it right - there is an "a6" processor in the TouchStone and it has firmware that can be updated if you have the right magic. Unfortunately for us all, that part of the ecosystem was considered to be "hardware" and as with all of our hardware engineers, the guy responsible for the firmware and the updating tools and such is long gone.....

    OldSkool also got it right that what gets called "firmware" on the phone itself can also affect charging. In this case it would be a userspace daemon process called powerd.

    (Actually, to make it even worse, the a6 in the TS talks to the a6 in the phone, which has its _own_ actual firmware, which again was handled by the "hardware" guy....)

    edc
    what if I say that I found one probably key part of that a6 team ?

    Jun Li | LinkedIn

    the issue I suppose would be another... even getting hold of all the right people, or just of the specific one, the risk that everything about the a6 firmware , both on the phone and the touchstone, would be both copyrighted and also under a non disclosure agreement is very high.

    I don't see HP opening the firmware ( compared to opening the OS ) nor agreeing to release the firmware loader and the stable firmwares made over the time
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by chejlava View Post
    Actually mazzinia got it right - there is an "a6" processor in the TouchStone and it has firmware that can be updated if you have the right magic. Unfortunately for us all, that part of the ecosystem was considered to be "hardware" and as with all of our hardware engineers, the guy responsible for the firmware and the updating tools and such is long gone.....

    OldSkool also got it right that what gets called "firmware" on the phone itself can also affect charging. In this case it would be a userspace daemon process called powerd.

    (Actually, to make it even worse, the a6 in the TS talks to the a6 in the phone, which has its _own_ actual firmware, which again was handled by the "hardware" guy....)

    edc
    WOW, Thanks a lot for the extra info.

    Were they really planning on issuing firmware updates for the TS in the wild though? Or was it a one and done thing?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  19. BBooDad's Avatar
    Posts
    406 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by corbey94 View Post
    the model number in that accessory pack - HP-FB338AA-AC3, does match the one sold standalone HP Touchstone Charging Dock for Pre 3 - Palm Accessories... the original number for the Palm Pre touchstone is 3454WW.

    thinking about ordering one as my pre 3 doesn't sit on the original properly at all, but for about £25 more than a normal model, it doesn't seem worth it.
    that's just a regular TS taking advantage of the new phone to be overpriced again!
    -
    - my webOS apps: Bishop Scores, EquiAnalgesia, EquiSteroidia, OB Tracker -
    - Missing webOS phones when I use my iPhone5 and iPad Mini. At least I have my TouchPad to web surf still! -
  20. pavejon's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #40  
    I bought a TS for a Palm Pre off of Amazon. Work great with the Pre 3. There is a sweet spot where the Pre 3 settles onto the TS securely.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions