Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Hello,

I'm looking into the Pre 3. So far, I've heard great things about it (aside from app selection, which isn't too important to me), but I've also heard mixed things about the browser. Browsing is a huge part of smartphone usage, and having only a mediocre browser would be a deal breaker for me.

What do you Pre 3 owners think that the browser is up to par with that of, say, iOS, Android or even BBOS7? How is flash? I love my Touchpad's browser, especially with all the Preware patches, is it on par with that?

Thanks in advance,

-Evan
    Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts
    The Pre 3 browser doesn't exactly stack up to Android, iOS or even the Touchpad browser but its not bad and gets the job done. I browse mobile sites whenever possible. Page rendering is good but I do experience a little wonkiness and checker boarding at times. If the browser is a deal breaker, I say go for it because it gets the job done pretty good. I have no regrets getting my new Pre 3 and can't seem to put it down, for what it can do the Pre 3 is an excellent device. Good luck.
    Last edited by JD914; 11/27/2011 at 10:50 PM.
    HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    HP Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanKr View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking into the Pre 3. So far, I've heard great things about it (aside from app selection, which isn't too important to me), but I've also heard mixed things about the browser. Browsing is a huge part of smartphone usage, and having only a mediocre browser would be a deal breaker for me.

What do you Pre 3 owners think that the browser is up to par with that of, say, iOS, Android or even BBOS7? How is flash? I love my Touchpad's browser, especially with all the Preware patches, is it on par with that?

Thanks in advance,

-Evan
    The biggest headache on the Pre3 browser compared to Android or iOS is the fact that it won't automatically wrap text when you move or zoom on a page. The fact that this basic feature hasn't been added after more than three years of webOS development is, frankly, embarrassing! Other than that, I"d say it's more or less on par with its contemporaries.

Sprint__________________________ GSM___ Verizon_________________
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies,

I've also heard some bad complaints about rendering and checkerboarding. Have you experienced this?

Also, how does the browser handle flash? In a few ways, I'm a little disappointed that the Pre 3 doesn't have a dedicated Youtube app, and instead relies on mobile flash to play videos. I totally support mobile flash, but I think that for certain tasks it may be better to have an application or use HTML. Since I spend quite a bit of time browsing Youtube on my phone, how do videos play?

Regards,
    -Evan
  5. g7
    Also, how does the browser handle flash? In a few ways, I'm a little disappointed that the Pre 3 doesn't have a dedicated Youtube app, and instead relies on mobile flash to play videos. I totally support mobile flash, but I think that for certain tasks it may be better to have an application or use HTML. Since I spend quite a bit of time browsing Youtube on my phone, how do videos play?
    The pre3 has a dedicated youtube app, which handles the videos. A video is launched from the mobile youtube site and a new card will open with the video.

For the rest, the only annoyance that I have with the browser are the mobile sites.
    If I start a mobile site in an orentation (say, portait) and then switch to landscape, the text will become too big and a refresh is needed to display correctly.
    This issue is only with mobile sites, by the way.

Eugenio
    Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies,

I've also heard some bad complaints about rendering and checkerboarding. Have you experienced this?

Regards,
    -Evan
    The browser handles Flash just as well as other platforms. Yes there's no dedicated Youtube app but mobile Youtube videos look crystal clear. I really see no issues in this because the end result is a well streamed and clear video viewing.
    HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    HP Touchpad
    The browser isn't as good as iOS or Android. I also prefer the Windows Phone browser, too. That said, I do find it to be better than what Blackberry offers, and Flash performance seems to be better than most single-core Android devices.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I have no big problem with Pre3 browser, even sometimes it not rendered the page correctly. Flash works good. I do very often go to precentral.net and drop down menu (arrow down) at the top bar not work on Pre3 but works well on TouchPad.