Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    This may be more a generic roaming question than specific to the Pre 3. I'm in Montreal for the week, for business. My Verizon Pre 3, ostensibly a world phone, says Roaming for both phone and data. I'd like to be able to access data, as well as text or call the US and Canada, without paying an arm and a leg.

My questions are:
    1. Is this as simple as getting a plan and SIM card from a local provider and sticking it in the phone?
    2. If so, when I use the phone, does that touch my Verizon minutes at all, or is all usage against the local provider?
    3. Is there any chance a Verizon Pre 3 would be locked?
    4. Now for recommendations on carriers: which is the best/cheapest?
    5. Should I try to find a CDMA provider or go with GSM?

Thanks in advance!
    Zahid
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I can't really answer the first two.
    3. Chances are, your verizon pre 3 is locked to verizon unless the guy you bought it off said it was unlocked.
    4. I'm on Bell and I find them pretty good. Heard Rogers is pretty ****ty. As for prices, they're all pretty much the same.
    5. No answer for this one.
    as far as I understand, you need a verizon sim that can talk to whatever vodafone uses for roaming. The sim is locked to verizon's services.
    See below:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahid;3252794
    My questions are:
    [LIST=1
    [*]Is this as simple as getting a plan and SIM card from a local provider and sticking it in the phone?
    Your phone needs to be unlocked as well and support the right bands, see here: List of Canadian mobile phone companies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think your Verizon Pre 3 supports any HSPA bands in North America.

[*]If so, when I use the phone, does that touch my Verizon minutes at all, or is all usage against the local provider?
    if you're using a different SIM you're using a different carrier altogether.
    [*]Is there any chance a Verizon Pre 3 would be locked?
    Absolutely. Verizon Pre 3s are locked to Verizon roaming SIMs and Vodafone SIMs.
    [*]Now for recommendations on carriers: which is the best/cheapest?
    Take a look at 7-Eleven SpeakOut wireless, it uses Rogers' network that provides national GSM coverage. Bell also provides some fairly good prepaid rates, but they may require a Canadian address. You'll also need an HSPA capable handset as they are HSPA only with no GSM fallback.
    [*]Should I try to find a CDMA provider or go with GSM?
    The Canadian carriers that operate CDMA networks do not allow foreign ESNs, i.e. the phone must be purchased with them and be on their white list, just like Sprint and Verizon.[/LIST]

Thanks in advance!
    Zahid
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I believe that your Vodaphone SIM is locked to Roger when in Canada unless unlocked or the Roger service is non existent when it then ROAMS on Bell. In any case you are roaming and running up high fees. If you have called verizon prior to traveling they can arrange a reduced rate that requires a flat 5.99 a month and then lower rates for data and voice. It was pretty simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excimer View Post
    I believe that your Vodaphone SIM is locked to Roger when in Canada unless unlocked or the Roger service is non existent when it then ROAMS on Bell. In any case you are roaming and running up high fees. If you have called verizon prior to traveling they can arrange a reduced rate that requires a flat 5.99 a month and then lower rates for data and voice. It was pretty simple.
    Incorrect. Reason why "Vodafone SIMs" are "locked to Rogers" are because most phones that have the GSM/UMTS roaming do not have American HSPA frequencies, hence they use the 2G network only, in which in Canada only Rogers operates. If you have a phone that is capable of American HSPA frequencies it will choose other networks.

Verizon phones will roam on Bell and Telus CDMA.