Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm just experimenting, getting so sick of the choppy audio problem. I've already disabled all logging, it helped a bit but it's still not gone. Problem is worse when Messaging has been logged on for some time, seems like there's some major memory leak there, usage just keeps going up. Another thing I noticed is that the phone is quite happy to use swap space over physical memory, I sometimes see swap usage is even higher than physical memory when it's nowhere near close to half filled of 512MB.

Tried disabling compcache right now, seems to run a LOT smoother. More as it develops.
    pogeypre likes this.
    That is what I recognized, too... of course it makes sense. But you will get into TMC messages* quite fast... At least that happened to me.

*TMC is NO error.
  3.    #3  
    Well no TMCs so far, just got one while disabling it though. At least phone doesn't go unresponsive.

If anything I used my Pre Plus for the longest time with compcache disabled and no TMCs whatsoever.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Hmmm different here:
    Compressed swap =disabled
    memory=363 swap=002

govnah battery monitor. SMS messaging and today view appointments cards showing.
    Last edited by trott3r; 11/24/2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: SMS mentioned rather than internet msging
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
  5.    #5  
    So far (in order of stacks):

Video and Music player, Govnah, Mahjong Solitare Lite, Preware, Web browser on Meebo and E-Mail and Messaging, Calendar, Device Info

360/43, Compcache still disabled and no TMCs.

Looking good so far...
    pogeypre likes this.
    Absolutely disable Compcache. In the thread where we were trying to get WebOS 2.1 optimized for the Pre Minus, we discovered that the flash media is just as fast as compcache.

The Pre3 has even faster Solid State Media than the Pre Minus, thus there is no point in compcache.

Compcache was designed for spinning hard disks. I have no idea why people use it on SSD devices.

To fix the TMC error use Uberkernel.
    pogeypre and kill_dano like this.
    Im going to try the Swap fix we did on the Pre Minus on the Pre3.

Basically, Palm uses "backing store" for their swap management, and we discovered that changing it to the linux Swap Disk manager instead yeilded faster response times.

Will try tonight and get back to you guys.

If it works well I will bake it into the Touch Response patch.

The code is here if you want to try:

Change the code in "/etc/event.d/compcache" to this:

Code:
    # -*- mode: shell-script; -*-
    start on stopped swaphack
    stop on runlevel [!2]
    console none
    script
    if [ -e /etc/palm/preferences/compcache_enabled ]; then
    swapoff -a
    sleep 1
    modprobe xvmalloc
    sleep 3
    mkswap /dev/store/swap
    swapon /dev/store/swap
    fi
    end script
    Last edited by rmausser; 11/24/2011 at 10:16 AM.
  8.    #8  
    I can absolutely confirm my audio issue is fixed. Aside from when Messaging is logging on or loading heavy PDK apps, no audio stutter whatsoever.

Slider issue, however, is NOT fixed. Phone still sometimes think the slider is open when it is indeed closed, have to open and close again to trigger the slider close action.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I will be updating the Touch Response Patch for the Pre3 to also include compcache disable and enable linux swap.
    Vistaus and pimonserry like this.
    That seems more Govnah's domain than the TRP, rmausser... ?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I will be updating the Touch Response Patch for the Pre3 to also include compcache disable and enable linux swap.
    Sounds good to me. Will you also be adjusting the tap radius to accommodate the Pre3's pixel density (as mentioned by ShiftyAxel over on the patches forum)?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Yes, I have been mulling this over.

On one hand, I want speeding up the webOS devices to be easy for not technically minded people.

On the other hand I want to give people a choice.

SO, I have decided to do this:

1) Make a seperate "disable compcache and enable linux swap" patch.

2) Make a "Speed up webOS Megamix" Patch

This second patch will include all the patches that are designed to speed up webOS, you know the ones, minimal logging, unthrottle download manager, hypercard, etc.

That will be for the people out there who are not technically minded.

Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    That seems more Govnah's domain than the TRP, rmausser... ?
  13.    #13  
    So far so good still. Some minor slowdowns when phone searches for networks (that's normal IMO), other than that, no TMCs, and phone has been stable since.

How come HP's QA didn't catch this?
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 11/25/2011 at 10:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Yes, I have been mulling this over.

On one hand, I want speeding up the webOS devices to be easy for not technically minded people.

On the other hand I want to give people a choice.

SO, I have decided to do this:

1) Make a seperate "disable compcache and enable linux swap" patch.

2) Make a "Speed up webOS Megamix" Patch

This second patch will include all the patches that are designed to speed up webOS, you know the ones, minimal logging, unthrottle download manager, hypercard, etc.

That will be for the people out there who are not technically minded.
    @rmausser: Thanks for your excellent effort! You seem to have a pretty good handle on this, so I have a couple of questions for you:
    What is the difference between the patches "Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness" and "Buttah"?
    Do I need the "Minimal logging" patch if I have disabled logging completely through the #LOGS* command?
    Pre3 has a bug that causes it to hover around a load avg of 8 constantly.

If you look at dmesg output, there is a separate bug complaining of a circular lock dependency.

Toni, try doing a bunch of different things that load up the phone. It will still freak out and slow down once the load avg hits about 11 or more
    Oh not this again, good grief.

Ignore Buttah, someone decided to take an older version of my touch response patch and call it their own.

Thanks.

I use both the logging hash code and the patch, doesn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by tomoqv View Post
    @rmausser: Thanks for your excellent effort! You seem to have a pretty good handle on this, so I have a couple of questions for you:
    What is the difference between the patches "Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness" and "Buttah"?
    Do I need the "Minimal logging" patch if I have disabled logging completely through the #LOGS* command?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    Pre3 has a bug that causes it to hover around a load avg of 8 constantly.

If you look at dmesg output, there is a separate bug complaining of a circular lock dependency.

Toni, try doing a bunch of different things that load up the phone. It will still freak out and slow down once the load avg hits about 11 or more
    You're right... it did became completely unresponsive and I just checked Govnah it shot up to close to 13.

Was loading some desktop heavy website, guess it stuck up CPU.

But at least this time round after I throw that card away my phone became normal again. With compcache it won't come back and entire phone will just stay unresponsive.

So do we know what is causing those dmesg errors?
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 11/26/2011 at 10:49 PM.
    rmausser, this sounds suspiciously like you are accusing me of stealing credit from you.

As I have stated repeatedly, you have always been credited. I don't agree with parts of your patch and made my own. There is nothing wrong with that. Whining about this is getting very annoying, grow up and chillax.

compcache has a low mem notify patch that I was having issues with applying cleanly and that might be a cause.
    I will note that this particular patch is not applied to the stock kernel but is for the original Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    rmausser, this sounds suspiciously like you are accusing me of stealing credit from you.

As I have stated repeatedly, you have always been credited. I don't agree with parts of your patch and made my own. There is nothing wrong with that. Whining about this is getting very annoying, grow up and chillax.

compcache has a low mem notify patch that I was having issues with applying cleanly and that might be a cause.
    I will note that this particular patch is not applied to the stock kernel but is for the original Pre-
    What's with the passive aggressive response?

If you feel sufficiently stronger to insinuate something, at least be man enough to back up your statement. Don't be a ******.

BTW you also have a right not to use any of the logging patches that I maintain. Yeesh.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast