Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree16Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I ask because when both were installed, battery drain was a little too much for me.
    However, just having Disable Compcache installed brings battery back to acceptable levels. Cannot tell objectively if just having that patch installed is improving the phone; but experientially, it seems to be running fine.
    I too have had issues with the battery drain when Sys Ctl was installed - with just Disable Compcache installed, at 1.68 Ghz, I was experiencing about 200-300 max mAh drain. After adding Sys Ctl, it consistently jumps all the way up to 480-520 mAh drain, which seems like quite a bit to me...according to Battery Monitor, that's around 30% drain per hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by anseld1986 View Post
    I too have had issues with the battery drain when Sys Ctl was installed - with just Disable Compcache installed, at 1.68 Ghz, I was experiencing about 200-300 max mAh drain. After adding Sys Ctl, it consistently jumps all the way up to 480-520 mAh drain, which seems like quite a bit to me...according to Battery Monitor, that's around 30% drain per hour.
    Strange, I did not install the patches but manually modified the sysctl file, and my battery drain seems fine. Maybe a tad bit higher than before but nothing significant.

Max
  3.    #63  
    Mine's around 300-400, but I think it's normal since I have Skype and Google Talk always on and those things are battery drainers. I have Touchstones everywhere I go so it's not really a concern for me.

I only ran out once when I was at a friend's place, and I brought my phone back to life when I got back in my car.

But with all the modifications, my phone is MUCH more usable. I rather sacrifice that battery life for a usable phone.

And as an update... rmausser's newest settings seems to have worked so far. No reboots, though I do see more slowdowns than the previous set. Although they do seem to recover better than stock, which required a reboot to get rid of. Most lags goes away these days if I let my phone sit for a while, so I think that's an indication that the memory cleanup is working.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    That is an issue I have fixed with a more recent update.

Unfortunately, the guys at the Patch Submission page seem to be on holidays, as none of my updates have gone through.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    That is an issue I have fixed with a more recent update.

Unfortunately, the guys at the Patch Submission page seem to be on holidays, as none of my updates have gone through.
    Since I don't have the Sysctl currently installed; what version number should I look for that incorporates your fix? TIA!
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    I had the "Disable Compcache and Enable Linux Swap" patch installed, then removed it... Decided to try it again, and I'm getting an error installing through Preware. For now I've just modified the compcache file through Internalz, but it would be nice to be able to use the Preware patch. Any thoughts on what's wrong? I've made sure all the settings in the /etc/event.d/compcache file are at default, as I had modified the memlimit_kb previously to remove the Govnah unknown profile error. I know it would fail with that changed - however, even with memlimit_kb set at the Pre3's standard 25600, I'm getting the log below.

begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    verify
    Nothing Interesting.
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    50 10836 50 5465 0 0 6721 0 0:00:01 --:--:-- 0:00:01 13905
    100 10836 100 10836 0 0 13205 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 27022
    identify
    org.webosinternals.patches.system-disable-compcache-and-enable-linux-swap
    install
    {"returnValue":true , "ticket":7, "subscribed":true}
    { "ticket":7 , "status":"STARTING" }
    { "ticket":7 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    { "ticket":7 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    { "ticket":7 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    { "ticket":7 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.system-disable-compcache-and-enable-linux-swap.postinst 2>&1
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file etc/event.d/compcache.rej
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.patches.system-disable-compcache-and-enable-linux-swap from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.patches.system-disable-compcache-and-enable-linux-swap.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.

EDIT: I've managed to fix it by replacing the compcache file with the stock one from the webOS Doctor image to ensure no leftover changes, removing the patch name from the Preware patch list file in /media/internal, and reinstalling Preware just to be safe. Preware then said the patch was still installed, so I was able to remove and reinstall, and it worked fine.
    Last edited by Phreemann; 12/17/2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Fixed the issue
    Has anybody tried this yet with 2.2.4?
  8.    #68  
    Has anybody tried this yet with 2.2.4?
    With the sysctl.conf and Disable Compcache and Enable Swap patch, my phone was rather unstable. I removed them but now I'm getting a lot of TMC errors.

For one thing I notice the Disable Compcache patch seems to be completely non functional. Even Govnah reports compcache is back on after every reboot, this didn't happen in 2.2.3. And what's worse Govnah's acting weird now, I have three Palm Default profiles in there.

rmausser, any chance you going to update the patches for 2.2.4?
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 01/04/2012 at 09:17 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  9.    #69  
    Just an update to this issue, think it sort of fixed it. Didn't doctor, but right now I'm running UberKernel 2.2.4-28, still with Compcache disabled.

Occasionally the phone will still run out of memory and needs a reboot, but otherwise I can run it for a few days without rebooting or lagging.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234