Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    /me gets out the popcorn ...

-- Rod
    ryan583, m-h-k, Soorma and 3 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    What's with the passive aggressive response?

If you feel sufficiently stronger to insinuate something, at least be man enough to back up your statement. Don't be a ******.

BTW you also have a right not to use any of the logging patches that I maintain. Yeesh.
    @rmausser and @codecrumb
    Look, I appreciate the effort that that both of you put into making my Pre 3 better and will even consider a donation. But please, leave your flame wars out of this and help me sort out the confusion regarding these patches.
    ryan583 and BlueRQ like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    So far so good still. Some minor slowdowns when phone searches for networks (that's normal IMO), other than that, no TMCs, and phone has been stable since.

How come HP's QA didn't catch this?
    ToniCipriani, I also disabled compcache and found the Pre 3 to be more responsive. However, after a couple of hours of usage I found that at some point some apps seem to run out of memory, they start behaving funny, missing some UI elements etc.

If I keep compcache on then they won't run out of memory so soon, but yes, eventually the swap (= cache) will start filling up until the phone becomes less and less responsive. Sometimes as bad as completely locking up until I do the Power Button / 3 x Ringer Switch reset.

I actually have no idea why the memory usage keep growing over time seemingly without limit. I reboot the Pre 3 once every night (Preset Reset) but sometimes I won't make it through the day.

Cheers
    Max
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    /me gets out the popcorn ...
    Hopefully the plot is not the let-down that it was over here... wait... I tried linking to andyt95's 2nd post in this thread, but post #11.5 is gone. The only remnant is in #12. That is one mysterious thread, man!

Oh, dang! Ma popcorn is burning...
    So what I'm getting from the thread (besides a internet fight) is disabling compache is good and bad...soo which is overall better, leaving it on or turning it off?
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    So what I'm getting from the thread (besides a internet fight) is disabling compache is good and bad...soo which is overall better, leaving it on or turning it off?
    I'd say give it a shot and report back your experience!

It is really easy to do in Governor and you can always switch back, too.

Cheers
    Max
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by m-h-k View Post
    ToniCipriani, I also disabled compcache and found the Pre 3 to be more responsive. However, after a couple of hours of usage I found that at some point some apps seem to run out of memory, they start behaving funny, missing some UI elements etc.

If I keep compcache on then they won't run out of memory so soon, but yes, eventually the swap (= cache) will start filling up until the phone becomes less and less responsive. Sometimes as bad as completely locking up until I do the Power Button / 3 x Ringer Switch reset.

I actually have no idea why the memory usage keep growing over time seemingly without limit. I reboot the Pre 3 once every night (Preset Reset) but sometimes I won't make it through the day.

Cheers
    Max
    Strange, I didn't get that. Though I did get one spontaneous reboot overnight, I knew because all my open apps are gone and Compcache was reverted back to enabled.

I turned it back off and good ever since. I think I'll leave it off on mine, it does run better.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Strange, I didn't get that. Though I did get one spontaneous reboot overnight, I knew because all my open apps are gone and Compcache was reverted back to enabled.

I turned it back off and good ever since. I think I'll leave it off on mine, it does run better.
    If you turn off compcache with a device with 512mb ram (pre plus/pre2/pre3/veer) I suggest using these sysctl settings: (for use in /etc/sysctl.conf)

Code:
    vm.swappiness = 10
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 20
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 1200
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 500
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 70
    vm.dirty_ratio = 90
    vm.min_free_kbytes = 1024
    vm.max_map_count = 65536
    vm.overcommit_memory = 1
    vm.overcommit_ratio = 70
    vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 2
    kernel.shmax = 268435456
    kernel.shmall = 16777216
    kernel.shmmni = 65576
    sched_compat_yield = 1
    vm.lowmem_reserve_ratio = 1024
    This will try to get webOS to use mostly RAM over swap, and also get rid of memory leaks (vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 1200
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 500)

I will be posting this as a patch in preware soon
    Vermithrax likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    If you turn off compcache with a device with 512mb ram (pre plus/pre2/pre3/veer) I suggest using these sysctl settings: (for use in /etc/sysctl.conf)

[...]

This will try to get webOS to use mostly RAM over swap, and also get rid of memory leaks [...]
    Thanks, will try this out!

Max

Code:
    vm.swappiness = 10
    vm.dirty_ratio = 90
    vm.max_map_count = 65536
    vm.overcommit_memory = 1
    vm.overcommit_ratio = 70
    vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 2
    kernel.shmax = 268435456
    kernel.shmall = 16777216
    kernel.shmmni = 65576
    sched_compat_yield = 1
    This will try to get webOS to use mostly RAM over swap, and also get rid of memory leaks (vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 1200

rmausser, there was no sysctl.conf on my pre3 in /etc, so I made a new file in internalz and pasted the lines above, saved and restarted my pre3, was that right?
    As far I can say my pre3 runs really nice without compache and with linux swap. For now I can't see a difference with the additional sysctl.conf. Is there a possibility to test if the changes has done?
    Thanks alot

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by xanuk; 11/29/2011 at 02:52 PM.
    Awesome. Do you normally announce the patches somewhere when they're posted?

Code:
    vm.swappiness = 10
    vm.dirty_ratio = 90
    vm.max_map_count = 65536
    vm.overcommit_memory = 1
    vm.overcommit_ratio = 70
    vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 2
    kernel.shmax = 268435456
    kernel.shmall = 16777216
    kernel.shmmni = 65576
    sched_compat_yield = 1

Would that patch also include a default disable for compache so it doesn't re-enable itself on a reboot like happens some times?
    Quote Originally Posted by xanuk View Post
    rmausser, there was no sysctl.conf on my pre3 in /etc, so I made a new file in internalz and pasted the lines above, saved and restarted my pre3, was that right?
    As far I can say my pre3 runs really nice without compache and with linux swap. For now I can't see a difference with the additional sysctl.conf. Is there a possibility to test if the changes has done?
    Thanks alot

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

yes you have to make the file.

You will mostly notice how the Pre3 should not start to lag up and need a reboot as often.
    Quote Originally Posted by jason_mc99 View Post
    Awesome. Do you normally announce the patches somewhere when they're posted?
    I announce them in the patches forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Would that patch also include a default disable for compache so it doesn't re-enable itself on a reboot like happens some times?
    No that will be a separate patch. I submitted it but it was denied for some reason. Need to look into why.

Im making all the patches separate, and then creating one megamix patch called "Turbochargah" that will include all these patches and the minimal logging etc patches together in one patch.

Basically a combo of all the patches that speed up webOS.
  16.    #36  
    No that will be a separate patch. I submitted it but it was denied for some reason. Need to look into why.

Im making all the patches separate, and then creating one megamix patch called "Turbochargah" that will include all these patches and the minimal logging etc patches together in one patch.

Basically a combo of all the patches that speed up webOS.
    When that's out and I install it on my Pre 3, it'll be called a "sleepah"... Looking absolutely stock but blazing fast!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Thanks to the OP. Since idk what compcache is or does I never touched it. But after reading this I'm going to turn it off and test it.

Also looking forward to rmausser new patch
    So umm i installed the "Disk Cache Mod" the one that convert swap manager to Linux swap manager.

It seems my audio playback is getting more Choppy after patch, this is a freshly doctored pre3 with only uberkernel installed
  19.    #39  

Code:
    vm.swappiness = 10
    vm.dirty_ratio = 90
    vm.max_map_count = 65536
    vm.overcommit_memory = 1
    vm.overcommit_ratio = 70
    vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 2
    kernel.shmax = 268435456
    kernel.shmall = 16777216
    kernel.shmmni = 65576
    sched_compat_yield = 1

So far so good. But I'll have to use it for a day to see, because the lags don't show up immediately after a reboot.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    So far so good. But I'll have to use it for a day to see, because the lags don't show up immediately after a reboot.
    Same here -- I will now use it the next few days with these new settings.

Max
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast