webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Make apps fit the whole screen Pre3
Make apps fit the whole screen Pre3
Like Tree18Likes

Old 11/23/2011, 10:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

As most of you will notice, most apps won't fit the whole screen on the Pre3.

Fixing this is super easy.

Resizing App

1) Go to the app in Internalz (make sure master mode and linux formatting is on)

Code:
/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/(whatever app)
2) Open up the 'index.html' of the app.

3) Add this line RIGHT below the <head> tag:

Code:
<meta name='viewport' content='height=device-height'>
4)Save
DONE. App will now fit the whole screen.

Fixing Background size (thanks Rsanchez1)

Some apps have backgrounds which are just one image sized for Pre (and maybe Pixi) screen sizes. If you're a little experienced in CSS, you can check the app CSS for any body style declarations with a background in them, and add the following:

Code:
    -webkit-background-size: 100% auto;
    background-size: 100% auto;

Fixing PDK apps

1) Download the attached Zip File and unzip on your computer.

2) Transfer to the USB drive of your Pre3.

3) Place in each PDK app folder that isnt working right.

Code:
/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/(whatever app)
4) Restart your Pre3.
Attached Files
File Type: zip games patch.zip (277 Bytes, 195 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by rmausser; 11/24/2011 at 09:43 AM.
rmausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by checkmate, Rnp, carldc and 10 others like this.
Old 11/23/2011, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks rmausser, I was to lazy to search for it.
If I can remember those silly git commands I will update dr.battery.
somline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

yes, that's great! It gets rid of that bit of graphic unpleasantness at the bottom of the screen. In many apps it was just an unobtrusive dark bar, but some like Enjoy Sudoku had these weird flickering boxes down there. Excellent!
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

It is really sad that so many developers have abandoned their apps and have not updated them for the Pre3. What is worse than sad is that some developers who are still actively developing and selling new apps for webOS, have not bothered to update their apps for the Pre3. I can understand to some extent devs not wanting to invest their time, although this does not even require more than a few minutes of their time, for a free app. But not updating their 'paid' apps is quite deplorable, specially considering the very little effort required to fix the apps for the Pre3.

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
It is really sad that so many developers have abandoned their apps and have not updated them for the Pre3. What is worse than sad is that some developers who are still actively developing and selling new apps for webOS, have not bothered to update their apps for the Pre3. I can understand to some extent devs not wanting to invest their time, although this does not even require more than a few minutes of their time, for a free app. But not updating their 'paid' apps is quite deplorable, specially considering the very little effort required to fix the apps for the Pre3.
I agree for the apps which will not work on the pre3.
But for Dr.Battery this missing small area was really not important and hadn't affected the functionality.
I think it will take me 1-3 hours (maybe even more) to actualize the dev environment, adding the changelog and trying to remember those git commands :P
Maybe I'm just to old.
Old 11/23/2011, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somline View Post
I agree for the apps which will not work on the pre3.
But for Dr.Battery this missing small area was really not important and hadn't affected the functionality.
I think it will take me 1-3 hours (maybe even more) to actualize the dev environment, adding the changelog and trying to remember those git commands :P
Maybe I'm just to old.
As I stated earlier, for free apps, I can understand that developers may not want to put in the extra time. Although, personally I would never want my own work to look shoddy, as apps with the black bars do. But, for paid apps I feel the developers are morally bound to update the apps, at least when the update does not involve a very major amount of work.
By the way, the black bars look ugly, even if the actual functionality of the app is not effected by them.

PS: I have Dr. Battery on all my devices and have fixed the black bar on Dr. Battery' on my Pre3. But, it would be nice to not have to fix it every time I doctor my Pre3.

Old 11/23/2011, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Awesome, 2 seconds to cut and paste, fixed the flickering line at the bottom of Dr. Podder!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 11:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Awesome, 2 seconds to cut and paste, fixed the flickering line at the bottom of Dr. Podder!
Yeah. It's great that we can actually fix an issue that the developers won't do for their own apps. Although, it does actually take longer than just 'two' seconds. Specially when you have to do it for a long list of apps and even worse, when you have to redo them if and when you doctor
the Pre3.

Last edited by Sanjay; 11/23/2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11/23/2011, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Suscribed! Can't wait to try this.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
PS: I have Dr. Battery on all my devices and have fixed the black bar on Dr. Battery' on my Pre3. But, it would be nice to not have to fix it every time I doctor my Pre3.
OK OK. And I totally agree with you for paid apps. WIll do it on the weekend (hopefully) and make it fullscreen for the TP even though it may look a little ugly there. But it will work in Landscape then. I hate to turn the TP each time i'm using none fullscreen apps.
Old 11/23/2011, 12:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah. It's great that we can actually fix an issue that the developers won't do for their own apps. Although, it does actually take longer than just 'two' seconds. Specially when you have to do it for a long list of apps and even worse, when you have to redo them if and when you doctor
the Pre3.
It literally took me 2 seconds to do that 1 app. I did already have internalz opening to the directory though because I had been in there messing with the appinfo.json the other day.

I don't doctor that often, so not really that big of an annoyance. Can't think of any other apps I need to do right now.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 11/23/2011, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am possibly going to create an app that will search for all instances of "index.html" in the applications folder and auto append this tag after <head> to all index.htmls.

It doesnt hurt to have it twice, and I havent come across an example of when it breaks an app, so theres no harm in applying it to every app.
rmausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Spinnel and vito-andolini like this.
Old 11/23/2011, 12:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

I haven't had it break anything yet, but it does sometimes result in a discolored bar that doesn't match the background of the rest of the app. Examples are Newsroom & 8tracks. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just the nature of the fix?

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
steffej3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 12:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
It is really sad that so many developers have abandoned their apps and have not updated them for the Pre3.
In many cases, yes devs have abandoned webOS... However if you have an app and want to support the older 1.4.x phones and the Pre2, we (devs) can't blindly size the app for the Pre3, and risk issues with other phones.

While we have an emulator, we can't really test code without a Pre3 device, which was never officially released. The frustration on the official developer forums has been pretty high ever since the announcements late last summer.
SiteStatus and SiteStatusPro website monitoring tools for webOS
pcimino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 12:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks - no more flickering bar at the bottom of Dr. Podder! It is amazing what one can do with a little instruction from the experts.
dgcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and somline like this.
Old 11/23/2011, 12:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcimino View Post
In many cases, yes devs have abandoned webOS... However if you have an app and want to support the older 1.4.x phones and the Pre2, we (devs) can't blindly size the app for the Pre3, and risk issues with other phones.

While we have an emulator, we can't really test code without a Pre3 device, which was never officially released. The frustration on the official developer forums has been pretty high ever since the announcements late last summer.
I don't mean to be argumentative, specially since I don't know too much about programming. But, you don't need a Pre3 to ensure and or check whether the 're-sized apps' create issues with older devices. For that all you need are the older devices, which presumably the devs have access to. As for testing on the Pre3, I am sure Pre3 owners in general will more than gladly provide any feedback required for this.

Old 11/23/2011, 12:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

it works great on Internalz itself too!
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 03:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
I am possibly going to create an app that will search for all instances of "index.html" in the applications folder and auto append this tag after <head> to all index.htmls.

It doesnt hurt to have it twice, and I havent come across an example of when it breaks an app, so theres no harm in applying it to every app.
It does kinda mess up Newsroom for example. Because the discolored background covers up the bottom now when an article is loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
I haven't had it break anything yet, but it does sometimes result in a discolored bar that doesn't match the background of the rest of the app. Examples are Newsroom & 8tracks. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just the nature of the fix?
Having same problem on newsroom, probably will remove the code on this app.
Old 11/23/2011, 04:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
it works great on Internalz itself too!
Yes, it does! I'm not a techie, and I was hesitant to get into editing app files, but this is quick and works like a charm. Though no-one outside of us Pre3 users may care about - or even notice - that black bar at the bottom, I think this little tweak really gives the apps, and the Pre3 itself, a more professional "feel" (not to mention the more efficient use of screen real estate!).

A couple of caveats for us non-techies...
When you say Internalz must be in master mode and linux formatting must be on, you mean that in the Preferences menu, the Master mode switch at the bottom must be on and the Newline format must be set to Linux.
Also, as one or two have noted, if an app uses a background image with a pattern or picture (as, for example, the ESPN ScoreCenter app uses a bordered image)... that image does not stretch to fill the screen, it will begin to repeat at the bottom (which may look a bit awkward).

Lastly, it did not seem to work on Pandora. Has anyone else experienced this?

In any case, kudos to rmausser for posting this quick and easy way to improve the look and feel of webOS apps on our Pre3s!

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3
..........................................TouchPad
PalmOS-------------------webOS-------
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 04:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

master mode switch to on, yes

my new line Is set to windows and is working fine

without master mode, you won't be able to edit... Not sure about the linux reference

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0