Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62
Like Tree18Likes
  1.    #1  
    As most of you will notice, most apps won't fit the whole screen on the Pre3.

    Fixing this is super easy.

    Resizing App

    1) Go to the app in Internalz (make sure master mode and linux formatting is on)

    Code:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/(whatever app)
    2) Open up the 'index.html' of the app.

    3) Add this line RIGHT below the <head> tag:

    Code:
    <meta name='viewport' content='height=device-height'>
    4)Save
    DONE. App will now fit the whole screen.


    Fixing Background size (thanks Rsanchez1)


    Some apps have backgrounds which are just one image sized for Pre (and maybe Pixi) screen sizes. If you're a little experienced in CSS, you can check the app CSS for any body style declarations with a background in them, and add the following:

    Code:
        -webkit-background-size: 100% auto;
        background-size: 100% auto;

    Fixing PDK apps

    1) Download the attached Zip File and unzip on your computer.

    2) Transfer to the USB drive of your Pre3.

    3) Place in each PDK app folder that isnt working right.

    Code:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/(whatever app)
    4) Restart your Pre3.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rmausser; 11/24/2011 at 10:43 AM.
  2. #2  
    Thanks rmausser, I was to lazy to search for it.
    If I can remember those silly git commands I will update dr.battery.
  3. #3  
    yes, that's great! It gets rid of that bit of graphic unpleasantness at the bottom of the screen. In many apps it was just an unobtrusive dark bar, but some like Enjoy Sudoku had these weird flickering boxes down there. Excellent!
  4. #4  
    It is really sad that so many developers have abandoned their apps and have not updated them for the Pre3. What is worse than sad is that some developers who are still actively developing and selling new apps for webOS, have not bothered to update their apps for the Pre3. I can understand to some extent devs not wanting to invest their time, although this does not even require more than a few minutes of their time, for a free app. But not updating their 'paid' apps is quite deplorable, specially considering the very little effort required to fix the apps for the Pre3.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    It is really sad that so many developers have abandoned their apps and have not updated them for the Pre3. What is worse than sad is that some developers who are still actively developing and selling new apps for webOS, have not bothered to update their apps for the Pre3. I can understand to some extent devs not wanting to invest their time, although this does not even require more than a few minutes of their time, for a free app. But not updating their 'paid' apps is quite deplorable, specially considering the very little effort required to fix the apps for the Pre3.
    I agree for the apps which will not work on the pre3.
    But for Dr.Battery this missing small area was really not important and hadn't affected the functionality.
    I think it will take me 1-3 hours (maybe even more) to actualize the dev environment, adding the changelog and trying to remember those git commands :P
    Maybe I'm just to old.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I agree for the apps which will not work on the pre3.
    But for Dr.Battery this missing small area was really not important and hadn't affected the functionality.
    I think it will take me 1-3 hours (maybe even more) to actualize the dev environment, adding the changelog and trying to remember those git commands :P
    Maybe I'm just to old.
    As I stated earlier, for free apps, I can understand that developers may not want to put in the extra time. Although, personally I would never want my own work to look shoddy, as apps with the black bars do. But, for paid apps I feel the developers are morally bound to update the apps, at least when the update does not involve a very major amount of work.
    By the way, the black bars look ugly, even if the actual functionality of the app is not effected by them.

    PS: I have Dr. Battery on all my devices and have fixed the black bar on Dr. Battery' on my Pre3. But, it would be nice to not have to fix it every time I doctor my Pre3.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  7. #7  
    Awesome, 2 seconds to cut and paste, fixed the flickering line at the bottom of Dr. Podder!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Awesome, 2 seconds to cut and paste, fixed the flickering line at the bottom of Dr. Podder!
    Yeah. It's great that we can actually fix an issue that the developers won't do for their own apps. Although, it does actually take longer than just 'two' seconds. Specially when you have to do it for a long list of apps and even worse, when you have to redo them if and when you doctor
    the Pre3.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 11/23/2011 at 12:46 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  9. #9  
    Suscribed! Can't wait to try this.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    PS: I have Dr. Battery on all my devices and have fixed the black bar on Dr. Battery' on my Pre3. But, it would be nice to not have to fix it every time I doctor my Pre3.
    OK OK. And I totally agree with you for paid apps. WIll do it on the weekend (hopefully) and make it fullscreen for the TP even though it may look a little ugly there. But it will work in Landscape then. I hate to turn the TP each time i'm using none fullscreen apps.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Yeah. It's great that we can actually fix an issue that the developers won't do for their own apps. Although, it does actually take longer than just 'two' seconds. Specially when you have to do it for a long list of apps and even worse, when you have to redo them if and when you doctor
    the Pre3.
    It literally took me 2 seconds to do that 1 app. I did already have internalz opening to the directory though because I had been in there messing with the appinfo.json the other day.

    I don't doctor that often, so not really that big of an annoyance. Can't think of any other apps I need to do right now.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  12.    #12  
    I am possibly going to create an app that will search for all instances of "index.html" in the applications folder and auto append this tag after <head> to all index.htmls.

    It doesnt hurt to have it twice, and I havent come across an example of when it breaks an app, so theres no harm in applying it to every app.
    vito-andolini and Spinnel like this.
  13. #13  
    I haven't had it break anything yet, but it does sometimes result in a discolored bar that doesn't match the background of the rest of the app. Examples are Newsroom & 8tracks. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just the nature of the fix?
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

    Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    It is really sad that so many developers have abandoned their apps and have not updated them for the Pre3.
    In many cases, yes devs have abandoned webOS... However if you have an app and want to support the older 1.4.x phones and the Pre2, we (devs) can't blindly size the app for the Pre3, and risk issues with other phones.

    While we have an emulator, we can't really test code without a Pre3 device, which was never officially released. The frustration on the official developer forums has been pretty high ever since the announcements late last summer.
    Kookaroo, the Roku remote for webOS
    Amtrak Commuter, Check your Train schedule
    GPortal Google shortcuts for Google Plus, Google Voice, Google Tasks and other Google Services
    SiteStatus and SiteStatusPro website monitoring tools for webOS
  15. dgcorn's Avatar
    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    #15  
    Thanks - no more flickering bar at the bottom of Dr. Podder! It is amazing what one can do with a little instruction from the experts.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcimino View Post
    In many cases, yes devs have abandoned webOS... However if you have an app and want to support the older 1.4.x phones and the Pre2, we (devs) can't blindly size the app for the Pre3, and risk issues with other phones.

    While we have an emulator, we can't really test code without a Pre3 device, which was never officially released. The frustration on the official developer forums has been pretty high ever since the announcements late last summer.
    I don't mean to be argumentative, specially since I don't know too much about programming. But, you don't need a Pre3 to ensure and or check whether the 're-sized apps' create issues with older devices. For that all you need are the older devices, which presumably the devs have access to. As for testing on the Pre3, I am sure Pre3 owners in general will more than gladly provide any feedback required for this.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  17. #17  
    it works great on Internalz itself too!
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I am possibly going to create an app that will search for all instances of "index.html" in the applications folder and auto append this tag after <head> to all index.htmls.

    It doesnt hurt to have it twice, and I havent come across an example of when it breaks an app, so theres no harm in applying it to every app.
    It does kinda mess up Newsroom for example. Because the discolored background covers up the bottom now when an article is loaded.

    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    I haven't had it break anything yet, but it does sometimes result in a discolored bar that doesn't match the background of the rest of the app. Examples are Newsroom & 8tracks. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just the nature of the fix?
    Having same problem on newsroom, probably will remove the code on this app.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  19. carldc's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    it works great on Internalz itself too!
    Yes, it does! I'm not a techie, and I was hesitant to get into editing app files, but this is quick and works like a charm. Though no-one outside of us Pre3 users may care about - or even notice - that black bar at the bottom, I think this little tweak really gives the apps, and the Pre3 itself, a more professional "feel" (not to mention the more efficient use of screen real estate!).

    A couple of caveats for us non-techies...
    When you say Internalz must be in master mode and linux formatting must be on, you mean that in the Preferences menu, the Master mode switch at the bottom must be on and the Newline format must be set to Linux.
    Also, as one or two have noted, if an app uses a background image with a pattern or picture (as, for example, the ESPN ScoreCenter app uses a bordered image)... that image does not stretch to fill the screen, it will begin to repeat at the bottom (which may look a bit awkward).

    Lastly, it did not seem to work on Pandora. Has anyone else experienced this?

    In any case, kudos to rmausser for posting this quick and easy way to improve the look and feel of webOS apps on our Pre3s!
    -carldc

    m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
  20. #20  
    master mode switch to on, yes

    my new line Is set to windows and is working fine


    without master mode, you won't be able to edit... Not sure about the linux reference
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions