Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Hello all,

My name's Evan, I'm a high school student from Winnipeg Manitoba looking to purchase my first smartphone. I've always envied the webOS devices since they debuted it 2009, I loved the original Pre, the Pre Plus, the Pre 2 and now the Pre 3. WebOS is quite a sophisticated OS, and I love its full multitasking abilities.I'm a bit disappointed that webOS has been abandoned by HP, but I do believe that it has hope, whatever brand it ends up with.

Anyways, because I love webOS so much, I've been looking on eBay for an unlocked version to use on my local network (on a side note, would eBay be my best bet for finding one?). My network, MTS, isn't my network of choice as there's currently no LTE, but there is non the less HSPA support and it's quick enough for me. The main reason that I'd like to go with them is their cheap student plans.

According to this page:
    Using Non-MTS Devices | MTS
    MTS uses a UMTS/HSPA 850/1900 network, so by looking at the Pre's specs it (should?) be compatible. Can somebody verify this? I'm still a bit unclear...
    To be compatible, what version would I need? An unlocked version from the UK, an AT&T version that's been unlocked, or something else? Also, what's this about the APN number? Sorry for all of the questions, although I know a fair bit about smartphones I'm not too familiar with networks.

I believe that there's another Winnipeger on the forums, perhaps he could offer some advice, especially if he's had experience with MTS in the past.

Thanks everyone,
    -Evan
    an unlocked at&t pre3 should work just fine for you, at full speed. the screens to enter the apn info provided on the page you linked are all available in the phone app preferences.

in short, an unlocked at&t pre3 will work just as well on MTS as any other phone will. do not buy a european pre3, as it will not work as well since it lacks the 850mhz radio band.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Thanks for the quick reply, it's really appreciated!

So in a nutshell, getting an unlocked AT&T Pre 3 would be my best bet? What about an unlocked Pre 3, no carrier branding whatsoever?

Finally, would I be able to pick up a Pre locked to AT&T (presumingly for a lower price), and unlock it myself? I've looked into unlocking before, and I know that a few stores could do it for you, but I'd like to do it myself. How difficult is this?

Thanks,
    -Evan
    eBay yourself an unlocked AT&T Pre 3 and it will work just fine.

I use one on Rogers in Ontario, it's 850/1900MHz for both GSM and UMTS. Works fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanKr View Post
    So in a nutshell, getting an unlocked AT&T Pre 3 would be my best bet? What about an unlocked Pre 3, no carrier branding whatsoever?
    the unbranded Pre3's are all European, and lack the 850Mhz band used in north america. yes, they will work using only the 1900mhz band, but coverage will suffer. the only real advantage to using a european pre3 in the US is that AT&T doesn't recognize the IMEI range used as a smartphone, so some people get away with using a cheaper 'feature phone' data plan (which of course may change). that point is most surely moot in your case.

the only Pre3 that has the 850mhz radio band is the AT&T branded model, which is also the only one with 16GB of storage, so it's a double benefit.

Finally, would I be able to pick up a Pre locked to AT&T (presumingly for a lower price), and unlock it myself? I've looked into unlocking before, and I know that a few stores could do it for you, but I'd like to do it myself. How difficult is this?
    I haven't seen any big price difference between the locked Pre3's and the unlocked ones. Most of them seem to be sold unlocked or with an unlock code attached (mine came with the code neatly written on a sticky taped to the box). HP reportedly made unlock codes available to everyone who bought a Pre3's at the company store; so anyone selling them without the unlock code was either too lazy to get the code or lost it before selling it.

Once you have the code, unlocking is simple a matter of putting in a non-AT&T SIM and entering the unlock code using the dialpad when prompted. Once it's unlocked, it's permanent as far as I know.

People have reported that AT&T does have unlock codes for some Pre3's, and if you call them and ask real nice you may get the code.

far safer to just buy one with the code, even if you do pay a few bucks loonies more.
    Sounds like the AT&T Pre3 is perfect for you. Keep in mind its not LTE capable so HSPA+ will be your best data speed. Good luck and make sure you choose one that comes with an unlock code.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the quick replies, guys! It's really appreciated!

I can only imagine carrying the phone, I'm sure it's not everyday that you see a Canadian carrying around a Pre from AT&T!
    Lol...you see me carrying one... But I had shaved off the AT&T logo on the last one and on this one I have a full skin installes, so no AT&T logo there

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums