1.    #1  
    I am looking for advice on location Apps.
    First am I correct in my understanding that anything that uses Google Maps is out?

For a full functioning GPS looks like I wait till NDrive is available for the Pre3 correct? I do not seem to see other comparable choices.

I would also like something that will track my hiking/running time and distance traveled. Something with speed, distance and track would be nice. It does not need to be able to upload Info to a computer or do anything with GPX files. Keeping extensive logs is not important.

"Homing Device" will not work on my Pre3. Is there another App that will perform a similar function. I am looking for an App that will allow the position of my phone to be viewed via computer or another phone on a map. Even something that when "Pinged" would send Lat.& long. which could then be copy and pasted into Google earth ( Did I mean Google Maps? ) would do what I want.

Not location related. Is there a fix yet that prevents the need to re Boot the phone after using FreeTether in order for it to work when accessed for a future use?
    Suggestions for any of the above are appreciated.
    Thanks everyone
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
  2.    #2  
    Gee, did I say something wrong?
    Is there no one who can offer past experience with an App. or comment in regards to my questions?
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    You can use BFG Maps from app catalog which basically uses the google map. For lat long updates, you can use Latitude Updater which keps updating your position to google latitude in desired intervals. For tracking MojoTracker is good. I am not sure if these work good on Pre3 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    Gee, did I say something wrong?
    Is there no one who can offer past experience with an App. or comment in regards to my questions?
    Not sure about all your questions but here are some suggestions:

Google maps embedded in apps works just fine it is just the straight google maps app that it not there and there are work arounds for that.

NDrive and Navit are the only nav apps that are available and include maps rather than relying on a live data connection to display the maps. NDrive is available as a beta and works well but not between longitude 0 and 1 degree west. This is due to a webOS bug which the Navit guys have worked around but NDrive are reluctant to do.

There are lots of apps that will track your movements, I have MojoTracker at the moment but I have tried various others over the years.

There are some threads on people getting google lattitude working which should answer the homing question. I've not tried this myself.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cvendra View Post
    You can use BFG Maps from app catalog which basically uses the google map. For lat long updates, you can use Latitude Updater which keps updating your position to google latitude in desired intervals. For tracking MojoTracker is good. I am not sure if these work good on Pre3 though.
    Thank you,
    I will check out BFG Maps. I
    On the Lat. Long. positioning I was hoping to avoid joining something like Google Lat. Something that involve just my phone and one other phone like "Homing Device" is what I was wanting to find. Homing device will not work on my Pre3. I am assuming that is the same foe all Pre3's and not just something that I am messing up.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Not sure about all your questions but here are some suggestions:

Google maps embedded in apps works just fine it is just the straight google maps app that it not there and there are work arounds for that.
    OK, so if I get an App. that states that it "Uses Google Maps". it should work OK because G. Maps is imbedded in the App?

NDrive and Navit are the only nav apps that are available and include maps rather than relying on a live data connection to display the maps. NDrive is available as a beta and works well but not between longitude 0 and 1 degree west. This is due to a webOS bug which the Navit guys have worked around but NDrive are reluctant to do.
    I have been following the NDrive thread. They ar no longer accepting Beta testers. Apparently it is working well on the Pre3 and release is imminent though slow coming. I am being patient nd waiting.

There are lots of apps that will track your movements, I have MojoTracker at the moment but I have tried various others over the years.

There are some threads on people getting google lattitude working which should answer the homing question. I've not tried this myself.
    Trying to avoid going through a third party so to speak. Please excuse my non tech talk. All this is very new to me. Pre3 is my fierst smart phone.
    Thanks for the reply
  7.    #7  
    Well,
    I thought I hit Gold. I found "Where is my Pre" everything was sounding great until I got to page 32 ( or was it 33 ) of the thread. I should ave started at the end and worked backward.
    Same result for InstaTrax. Both looked great until they were apparently abandoned.
    Another attempt at running "Homing Device" was a no go. Wishful thinking I guess.
    Maybe there was some merit to the " No available apps. " complaints that I have ignored.
    Still searching
    This is a Bump, not a rant.