Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    I remember reading a while back that it was supposed to have it, but haven't found any options for it...
    yes hold down the volume rocker and Its should open.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I tried dial by voice when I first got my Pre3, but I've never gotten it to recognize a spoken name. I haven't seen a lot of complaints about this, so maybe it's how I speak. is there a way to train it?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    lol @ webos voicedial. when I first tried it on my Pre+ after upgrading to 2.1, it was a total joke. In one repeated test I clearly spoke a name, and the voice dial app responded that it was calling a completely different name... a name that sounded nothing like the name I said, and in fact had absolutely NONE of the same letters in it. After that I completely gave up on it. I have tried it on my Pre3, and it does seem a little better (it actually does succeed on the particular name where the Pre+ failed so miserably), but it's still so hit and miss I just don't bother.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    it works well for me
    Works well for me with sprint Pre2. Also with the phone app open hold down the talk/end button launches voice dial.
    Works for you? How? In my case, it's a total joke, it should better have a simple way of associating a voice command with a certain contact, instead of pretending it can do voice recognition.
    At least, it should refrain from dialling wrong contact, and humbly recognize it hasn't understood what I said.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Works for you? How? In my case, it's a total joke, it should better have a simple way of associating a voice command with a certain contact, instead of pretending it can do voice recognition.
    At least, it should refrain from dialling wrong contact, and humbly recognize it hasn't understood what I said.
    I agree! It would've been far more smart to provide a possibility for recording separately voice commands for each contact. Like it's done in Nokia phones, for example.

And, of course, in my case, voice dialing in English for Finnish names is a task doomed to fail. And failure it was, as tested.
    On some day I might try to find a way to switch to German for voice dialing while keeping the rest of UI in English. German pronunciation might get a bit closer to goal.
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    now that I know how to activate it, it works almost flawlessly for me. Funny thing, an icon popped up after I doctored my phone. Wasn't there when I posted the question.
    The voice dialing is terrible. As another poster noted, you can say one name and it will dial something totally different. Best bet is to just tell it to dial numbers that you can remember, but even then it will get a number off. And I am told I speak fairly "accentless" nonregional American English, so perhaps it's trained with some other accent?
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I've only tried it a couple times, but its generally worked. Dialling numbers has been no problem at all. I tried my own name once... It hiccupped at first, but got it right the second time.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Voice dialing has been absolutely amazing and spot on for me in every test I've performed. The only issue I had was when it was in an extremely noisy room. It didn't pull up the desired name as the first result, but it was still one of the other results.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Is everybody using the headset that came with the phone, or are you using a Bluetooth headset? I'm using the headset that came with it and I find the voice dial spotty in recognizing names. (I'm on the west coast of Canada so have a pretty flat regional dialect.)

I also wonder - if I put the headphones in the designated ears, it seems that the microphone on the volume rocker winds up facing into my chest - then the person I'm talking to winds up hearing a lot of random noise. Am I stupid or doing it wrong?