Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I've got the 8Mb Pre3, which wasn't the version I wanted, but hey it was all I could get in the UK (and it was far from cheap).

In order to avoid the too many cards error, I've got uberkernel running on it using compcache but not overclocking and using the standard scaling. Everything's been running more or less ok for the past few weeks but just lately I've been noticing dreadful lagging - sometimes making me miss phonecalls on device wake. Also if I have any more than three cards open, everything seems to slow right down to a crawl. Youtube video is often stuttery - even over a wifi connection.

To give an example I just went to view the mobile nations monday brief - opening the page, getting to the video and then clicking the link to start up the youtube app took a full 5 minutes, and the lovely ashley kept on freezing iwith some less-than-attractive facial expressions, so i had to give up and watch it on my touchpad.

I've got the latest uberkernel in the hope that there might be some updates to help, but it hasn't and if anything it's slightly worse. Overclocking to 1.9Ghz doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference either.

Also, and I don't know if this is related, but I've been seeing a similar intermittent "screen death" on my Pre 3 to the one I saw on my pre- a couple of weeks before it fizzled out - the screen just seems to suddenly fade, and it won't come to life by pressing the on switch, though it does if i open out the keyboard. Once in a while the whole phone screams to a halt and only a battery pull will get it going again.

I do love my pre3, despite its shortcomings, and i'm distinctly worried about its health. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be up and what i can do about it? Obviously I've not got in touch with HP as my waranty, for what it's worth, is now void.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    I suppose you have tried a reboot?

The screen problem isnt that auto screen brightness feature that arrived in Pre3?
    Theres a Preware patch to turn it off.
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    I suppose you have tried a reboot?

The screen problem isnt that auto screen brightness feature that arrived in Pre3?
    Theres a Preware patch to turn it off.
    I reboot twice or more and at first it seems quite nippy, but within a few hours (sometimes minutes) its back to being all laggy again.

No, the screen problem is very similar to the one i saw on the pre- for a few weeks before it died and even at its very death. It's not a managed fade like with autodim (which is still annoying) - instead it's like the power has been pulled from the screen suddenly and it just kinda dies and clumsily fades to black. It's not happening very often, but even just a couple of times is enough to spook me after previous experience.
    You should do the followings:
    1, install 'Preset Reset' from preware and enable daily reset@ 12am,
    2, install 'JSTop' from preware and enable 'Auto GC' ( auto garbage collection ),
    3, install patches from preware:
    Muffle System Logging,
    Quiet powerd Messages,
    Remove Dropped Packet Logging,
    Unset CFQ IO Scheduler,
    Unthrottle Download Manager,
    Remove Tap Ripple,
    4, from the dial pad, type '#*LOGS#' <call/enter,etc>,
    Clear Logs,
    Change Logging Levels... 'Set Logging To Minimal'.

Hopefully, this will resolve your issue.

Good luck.
    DaveyBoy and vito-andolini like this.
    I suggest the op get one of the preware apps that automatically reboot the phone during the night. There seem to be enough memory leaks and bugs in the browser to drag things down.

i've also found that leaving browser cards open when the phone is a sleep seems to eventually cause lag and hiccups.
    It's Uberkernel. Uninstall it and it will go back to normal.

I know, I know, TMC error sucks. But I think Uberkernel needs a touch more work. And I'm confident it will get there. The Internals guys rock!
    Check your govnah settings too.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by qlearner View Post
    You should do the followings:
    1, install 'Preset Reset' from preware and enable daily reset@ 12am,
    2, install 'JSTop' from preware and enable 'Auto GC' ( auto garbage collection ),
    3, install patches from preware:
    Muffle System Logging,
    Quiet powerd Messages,
    Remove Dropped Packet Logging,
    Unset CFQ IO Scheduler,
    Unthrottle Download Manager,
    Remove Tap Ripple,
    4, from the dial pad, type '#*LOGS#' <call/enter,etc>,
    Clear Logs,
    Change Logging Levels... 'Set Logging To Minimal'.

Hopefully, this will resolve your issue.

Good luck.
    thanks for that list. I already had JSTop running. I'm installing the others now and i'll let you know how i get on in a day or so. Cheers!

Buy I do also have suspicions about uberkernel...
    gameoffuture and xandros9 like this.
    Uberkernel on Pre3 has major issues. Get rid of it and the issues with your Pre3 will be resolved. I have tried different versions of Uberkernel, including the latest, with the same results. The phone becomes very sluggish and pretty much unusable. Uninstalling Uberkernel each time resolved all issues. Personally I have been lucky to have not yet seen the TMC error. I am just surprised though that not many people have complained about issues with Uberkernel on the Pre3.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Stock 2.2.3 firmware here, no stability issues.
    I have no major issue with Uberkernel. So I still use it till now.

Slow down happened on my Pre3, but not so terrible, still in acceptable degree.
    I've been using Uberkernel since it became available, just a couple of TMCs before that and none since.

I don't notice any significant lag issues although I have had a couple of blank screems where I had to pull the battery, over a period of a couple of months that isn't too bad.
    I dunno, I had Uberkernel for a while, found it more sluggish and uninstalled it. It was smoother without, and I rarely get TMCs on a vanilla phone.

However, am I correct in thinking the battery usage is higher with the stock kernel? I think I found it that way.

I've been back to using uberkernel because of this and it IS sluggish with lots of cards. I'm not sure if this is compcache... I have it disabled, but Govnah very annoyingly reverts to default palm profile (with compcache) on every reboot, which for me is every night.

So I dunno if the uberkernel lag is significantly compcache induced or just generally uberkernal induced.
    You should use Govnah with Uberkernel to set the 'MIN FREQ' to 368. This will help your sluggish condition. Please make sure that you save your setting and move it up to the top of your selection.

Good luck and have a good day.
    I think they need to pull Uberkernel for the Pre3 from the Preware catalog as many noobs install it (like I did) and it will cause problems on many Pre3s. When I had it installed, I saw no advantage to it, only slowdowns, lag and unstable behavior. As buggy as it is right now, it does not even belong in the Preware catalog IMO.

This is not the same Uberkernel as I have on the TP as that works just fine.

Its causing problems on many Pre3s and people are blaming the Pre3s, when in many cases the cause is in fact Uberkernel. I agree 100% with Sanjay. Uninstall the Pre3 Uberkernel and many of your problems will go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I am just surprised though that not many people have complained about issues with Uberkernel on the Pre3.
    I think its because many people don't realize their issues are being caused by Uberkernel.

I've personally seen:

lag in scrolling and starting apps (and that's when Uberkernel is working correctly!)
    battery drain (when the core is hosed due to Uberkernel)
    unable to charge (see battery drain, above)
    losing all audio and the entire audio subsystem (this is fun for a phone)
    general unstable behavior
    I think the problem is bugs and memory leaks more than Uberkernel itself. It's just that with U-K installed slowness starts sooner.

I'll try and do some tests with different Compcache settings and see if I can get things working more smoothly.
    Glad I found this thread! I had no idea about UberKernel. I had been noticing my Pre3 was a little laggy and glitchy, too. I'll remove it and see. What about warthog etc.?
  20.    #20  
    Hi again,

I knew I said I would report back in a couple of days and that has well gone, but I've been seeing how I got on.

First of all I installed all the above patches and changed settings as advised and I did notice a bit of a difference in speed, though not much.

Then I uninstalled uberkernel. I must admit, this made a SIGNIFICANT difference to the lagginess. Although some things were slower to perform, I experience no mini-freezes while it was thinking about what to do.

However, the Too Many Cards error came back with a vengence. I use my phone as an alarm clock often, and the TMC errors were waking me up in the night if I'd left a couple of windows open. Apart from that, the TMC error has pretty much the same effect as the laginess - only you have to get flicking to get rid.

So I thought I'd try Warthog. I was particularly interested in this for undervolting as I like to get the most out of my battery. Unhappily, I've noticed no real difference with it. Indeed, I was taking someone's phone number earlier today and I had to embarrasingly keep them waiting for a good couple of minutes while the phone decided whether it was going to respond to me or not.

I'm becoming convinced that either WebOS 2.2.0 is buggy, the amount of RAM in mt pre3 is inoperably small - or both. As much as I admire the work the guys are doing with the alternative kernels, they don't seem to help in my case.

After the embarrassment of the last episode, I feel I'm going to have to go back to my Pre2. I do like the Pre3's screen and build quality very much - it's the best phone i've had from that point of view. But the point is that I need my phone to, well, be a phone and be available when I need it to be. The Pre3 has failed me once too often. As much as I hate to, I think I'll have to put it to one side and use it for watching videos and backup phone on long train journeys (the TouchPad is just too cumbersome for that).

I'm still sticking with webOS, for my sins....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast