Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    actually if you install the uberkernel then install jstop , you can use jstop to see where the memory leaks are . it shows app open and causes lag in the phone.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  2.    #22  
    But what can I do about it even if I discover that? And the times I need the phone and it's lagging the most, I simply don't have the time to analyse it. I know: the irony.

The smart money seems to be on the browser having a memory leak. With no update planned for the Pre3 ever, when's that going to get fixed?
    People should stop calling TMC messages "errors". It's just the notification, that the system has to few memory for what you are doing... allowing it to swap more will only make the lagginess worse and not any errors go away.

For example, if I run JSJSJS $Top$ $right$ $after$ $boot$ $on$ $a$ $Pre3$ $it$ $will$ $say$ $that$ $something$ $round$ $55$-$60$ $MB$ $are$ $used$. $If$ $I$ $do$ $the$ $same$ $thing$ $on$ $a$ $Veer$ $I$ $get$ $35MB$.
    Then, using Top from the console, you can see that the available memory for the system on a Pre3 is about 350MB where it is at 400MB for a Veer (and even more for a Pre2, IIRC). So that's like 80MB of memory already gone for the Pre3...

If you ever opened a browser, you'll see that a browser "process" still sticks around in JSJSJS $Top$ $even$ $after$ $closing$ $it$. $You$ $can$ $kill$ $it$ $in$ $JS$ $Top$ $and$ $it$ $will$ $be$ $gone$.. $but$ $it$ $will$ $still$ $leave$ $some$ $memory$ &$quot$;$gone$&$quot$;, $too$.

But even without opening a browser at all, a daily reboot is necessary for that device.... it might be messaging or email has memory leaks, too? Could not really verify that.

Did anybody ever tried to use a different browser? There are some other browsers available for the Pre3... but maybe it's a memory leak in the webkit part of luna and we can't help it anyways. That's what my fear is...
    I don't think it's exactly a leak -- even when you're not using Messenger or E-Mail, the services for those apps are still running. I used to get TMC on my TouchPad all the time, until I determined that Skype support was a massive security problem, and stopped using it. Now, I never get it. Ever.

In any case, when I -did- get it, usually waiting a few minutes for the memory usage to contract would solve it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Yes, Skype makes things much worse on the Pre3, also... but removing the Skype account does not completely solve the issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    People should stop calling TMC messages "errors". It's just the notification, that the system has to few memory for what you are doing... allowing it to swap more will only make the lagginess worse and not any errors go away.

For example, if I run JSJSJS $Top$ $right$ $after$ $boot$ $on$ $a$ $Pre3$ $it$ $will$ $say$ $that$ $something$ $round$ $55$-$60$ $MB$ $are$ $used$. $If$ $I$ $do$ $the$ $same$ $thing$ $on$ $a$ $Veer$ $I$ $get$ $35MB$.
    Then, using Top from the console, you can see that the available memory for the system on a Pre3 is about 350MB where it is at 400MB for a Veer (and even more for a Pre2, IIRC). So that's like 80MB of memory already gone for the Pre3...

If you ever opened a browser, you'll see that a browser "process" still sticks around in JSJSJS $Top$ $even$ $after$ $closing$ $it$. $You$ $can$ $kill$ $it$ $in$ $JS$ $Top$ $and$ $it$ $will$ $be$ $gone$.. $but$ $it$ $will$ $still$ $leave$ $some$ $memory$ &$quot$;$gone$&$quot$;, $too$.

But even without opening a browser at all, a daily reboot is necessary for that device.... it might be messaging or email has memory leaks, too? Could not really verify that.

Did anybody ever tried to use a different browser? There are some other browsers available for the Pre3... but maybe it's a memory leak in the webkit part of luna and we can't help it anyways. That's what my fear is...
    My "Touch Response" patch removes the Browser from staying loaded even when you close it.

If you install Touch Response, it will kill the browser every time you close it.
    Funny, about the only prob I have w/Uberkernel is Luna reset while using this app to browse this forum! Battery life is much, much better and performance is great.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rboerger View Post
    Funny, about the only prob I have w/Uberkernel is Luna reset while using this app to browse this forum! Battery life is much, much better and performance is great.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    This happens frequently for me too. Fortunately, the mobile forum site of Precentral is equally good if not better, so I don't see the need for the Forum app anymore.
  9.    #29  
    I thought I'd revisit this thread with some new findings.

I got rid of uberkernel and went back to the plain vanilla kernel - wasn't much better and maybe worse. Then I decided to take the plunge and go warthog. It seemed a bit better but not much, and I was still getting issues.

Then two patches appeared in preware: Disable compcache and enable linux swap, and also disk cache mod. These have made a SIGNIFICANT difference to the operation of webos on my pre3. It's still not fantastic and I still wish I had the 16mb version, but beggars can't be choosers and I think this setup is the best it's going to get. I shall be doctoring my phone soon and starting again to fully test, but from my initial experience I can thoroughly recommend these two patches (and here's where someone tells me the two patches should never be used together lol)
    I too had the same issues with the pre3 and its memory/slowness/annoyingness compared to the pre2. However, I did the following and it made a huge difference, and I love the device now:

Install Uberkernel and DISABLE compache

Install these patches:
    Disable compcache and enable linux swap
    Disk cache mod
    Quiet powerd messages
    Remove dropped packet logging
    System control optimization
    Unthrottle download manager

Also, set logging to minimal (I tend to avoid the muffle system logging patch as I had problems with it in the past).

Thanks to rmauser for his excellent work on many of the above patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post
    I thought I'd revisit this thread with some new findings.

I got rid of uberkernel and went back to the plain vanilla kernel - wasn't much better and maybe worse. Then I decided to take the plunge and go warthog. It seemed a bit better but not much, and I was still getting issues.

Then two patches appeared in preware: Disable compcache and enable linux swap, and also disk cache mod. These have made a SIGNIFICANT difference to the operation of webos on my pre3. It's still not fantastic and I still wish I had the 16mb version, but beggars can't be choosers and I think this setup is the best it's going to get. I shall be doctoring my phone soon and starting again to fully test, but from my initial experience I can thoroughly recommend these two patches (and here's where someone tells me the two patches should never be used together lol)
    rmausser, the author of those to patches has stated in this thread that they compliment each other. I have also found these patches to help performance quite a bit. My Pre 3 is not uberfast, but certainly much better than before.
    is swapping on a flash storage a good idea?
    There is swapping anyway... the enaple linux swap patch only disables what Palm had in mind (some different filesystem) and enables the default linux swap system that seems to be more responsive.

So it's not so much about swapping or not but about which file system technique the swapping uses.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by cymbalhead View Post
    I too had the same issues with the pre3 and its memory/slowness/annoyingness compared to the pre2. However, I did the following and it made a huge difference, and I love the device now:

Install Uberkernel and DISABLE compache

Install these patches:
    Disable compcache and enable linux swap
    Disk cache mod
    Quiet powerd messages
    Remove dropped packet logging
    System control optimization
    Unthrottle download manager

Also, set logging to minimal (I tend to avoid the muffle system logging patch as I had problems with it in the past).

Thanks to rmauser for his excellent work on many of the above patches.
    Yup, got all those patches installed, except i have warthog now as some people had doubts about the stability of uberkernel (i also found the undervolting of warthog attractive as i like to squeeze as much out of my battery as possible, but i've kept all the defaults)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12