1.    #1  
    Hello everyone!

First of all, thank you for this forum. I've been creeping on the forum for a could months trying to gather as much information as I could on my Pre Plus before it suffered from the dreaded keyboard issues many have experienced (certain keys not working). I decided to upgrade to the Pre3 after I took the phone apart and cleaned the contacts multiple times in a week.

I love my Pre3 thus far! Thanks for all the reviews.

I've tried to glean as much knowledge as I could from a lot of different threads but cannot figure out a few things. Once again, sorry that some of these questions are basic.

Stats about my phone:

Carrier: AT&T
    webOS 2.2.3 (installed update last night)
    Locked (Obtained unlock code with ebay purchase)

1.) As you can see above, my phone came with an unlock code. My first question is: Does unlocking the phone effect anything besides being able to use it on different networks? Some said they were unable to provision their phone on AT&T to 4G (H+) because their phone was unlocked.

2.) Assuming there is no reason not to unlock my phone, how do I "unlock" my phone?

------

I plan in the future to download preware and give freetether a try.

3.) Until I download freetether I'm stuck using my Pre3 as the only source of internet (besides work which is highly restrictive, I"ll have to go to a public wifi to download preware). My understanding is that Skype is an integrated app with messaging now (not a standalone app with an icon on the menu). To call or chat with someone with skype you "just type" their name and click on their username. I have only one problem with that....I only have one person setup on my contact list. How can I add more? I know, stupid problem to have.

BTW, I know I need to be on a Wifi to really use skype but would like to get it to work so if I'm at the friends or parents I can talk with my nieces and nephew via skype

----

Finally, when I transitioned from my pre plus to Pre 3 I know some of my contacts were on my sim card while others were on my webOS account. I would like to somehow backup all my contacts (via sim or download to my computer)

4.) How can I accomplish a backup of my contacts?

Thanks very much. Hopefully in the future I'll be more of a contributor to the wonderful information you all have worked so hard to provide

-Josh
    1) hopefully your contacts are in google and are already backed up. If not, there is a patch in preware that will email your contacts as a .csv file.

2) there is no reason to unlock the phone unless you are trying to use it on a different carrier than it was intended for.
    also, skype becomes another service type in the messaging and dialer apps.

if you aren't on a wireless plan, you will also want to get impostah (in preware) to give you access to more catalog options.

welcome.

there are more than 500,000 members here to answer questions and learn along with you.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    1) hopefully your contacts are in google and are already backed up. If not, there is a patch in preware that will email your contacts as a .csv file.

2) there is no reason to unlock the phone unless you are trying to use it on a different carrier than it was intended for.
    Unfortunately they are not backup-ed up on google. I thought I had everything saving to my SIM and Outlook but I was wrong. I need to find a safe backup. I am going to do the preware thing this weekend so hopefully nothing crazy happens until then

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    also, skype becomes another service type in the messaging and dialer apps.

if you aren't on a wireless plan, you will also want to get impostah (in preware) to give you access to more catalog options.

welcome.

there are more than 500,000 members here to answer questions and learn along with you.
    Thanks for the welcome! I greatly appreciate the help and am looking forward to contributing

Another question...I have been receiving the "Warning The application database is almost full. Tap help for infomration that explains how to free up space." error that many have been receiving. Some seem to think it's an error loading the webOS profile. How do I reload my profile? Seems like a simple task but cannot figure it out I don't have many applications (maybe 5). Would it be better to start with a new profile?

-Josh