Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    Im new to the forum and not very techy. I own a pre 3 and a touchpad (lucky me).
    My contract on the pre 3 includes 500mb data, however Im using that in only 2 weeks.
    I only check e mails, facebook and e bay, so there is something going wrong somewhere.
    I went to carfone warehouse today and they said I need an app killer, I cant find on the phone just what is running and cant find an app to stop this from happening.
    If I did find an app killer would it not stop everything from running?
    Many thanks in advance of you blinding me with your vast knowledge : )
    I have the same problem: AT&T "detected" my Pre3 and forced me off my unlimited data plan to 200mb plan and 2 days later !!! I got a message usage exceeded 65% (that would be 130mb) of my plan ...I too only check email, facebuk, ad ebay ...my max usage over the past year (with my Moto Motosurf a3100 wiMo6.1 fone) was 92mb with most months at 20-40mb ...I am flummoxed ...checked all my email accounts to make sure they are set to manually check mail only (although that should not account for all that usage). Would someone who is knowledgable be kind enough to enlighten us on what the trouble is and how to make it right since 200mb should be more than enough for my needs?
    I'm also on ATT with a Pre3 and last month I somehow jumped to 145mb in 1 day. I was always on wifi during that time too. So I turned off data in the device menu for the rest of the month. I think this has more to do with a bug in the Pre3 then a fault of ATT.

During this bill cycle it's been much better. Since 12/09 I've used 18.2mb. Honestly though, even that seems high, I'm literally always on wifi and all email is set to manual.

Does it really take this much data just to maintain a data connection for MMS ? (With data completely off, you won't receive MMS).

lezbehonest, 200meg for $15 is a rip off. And $10 more for 2gb just doesn't seem right. I'm missing my unlimited data that I had on sprint =/ However, the phone service has been much better on ATT in my area.

note: My girlfriends iphone has only used 7mb in the same timeframe and she's regularly not around wifi while a work. ***
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I would never consider not having a flatrate contract with the Pre 3. It really is designed with heavy data-usage throughout. Just think OTA updates, synergy etc. compared to for example iPhone. Personally i think it would limit the functionality of the phone too much, having to worry about data usage. Don't know about US provider contracts, but where i live a 20gb. data contract is quite affordable, and very much worth it...
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    I have a 250meg data contract and run my pre3 on wifi mainly.
    Mobile Data is switched off.

I would suggest the OP install the turn data off in device menu Preware patch to make it easier to control.
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I have unlimited AT&T data, and have gone from 200MB to over 2GB with my pre 3. I don't watch any video. Anyone have any idea why this is? I was wondering if it has something to do with syncing google contacts. Perhaps it is always checking? Maybe there is another bug.
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    I'm just completely speculating here, it has been suggested that palm profile "backups" get stuck on the Pre3, maybe that's part of the cause.

I definitely feel like there is something not quite right about the Pre3 compared to my Pre-,Pre+,Pre2 experiences.
    I am on the 2GB plan with at&t with my Pre 3 and didn't even come close to going over, 300mb I think. Right now I am working in Las Vegas and am using FeeTether (hotel wants $19.99 a day, no thanks).
    The EU version doesn't have any AT&T bloatware, so its hard to think where OP's usage is coming from. Some ideas:

-My first month with and O2 500Mb sim only contract, just checking emails, using browser, I was just over 100MB for the month. I use wifi at home, however. I use a lot more now, only because I know I can (I'll watch video highlights while waiting for a train towards the end of the month)

-Perhaps you used 3G on your initial setup? So any system updates, app downloads etcetc would count to that month's data usage. I suppose that could potentially be big.

-The guy at carphone warehouse evidently didn't know that you don't use android or IOS, and so don't have an app killer app! This is a good thing.

-You can turn down how often your Pre3 checks for emails.

-You can use wifi where possible (at home). should really.

-As another post said, turn off 3G when you aren't using it. This is done through the dialler app, but as mentioned, 'Data toggle' app or the 'Data in device menu' patch (both on preware) will make it easier.

-turn of backup, or have it on wifi when it does backup.

-If you don't do this and don't use wifi at home, your phone will be checking email etc all through the night unnecessarily, using up 3G allowance.

-You can try not to leave data using apps on. Like Twitter clients for example. Since webos truly multitasks (unlike other OSes) the apps will still be running while the card is open.

Basically, 500Mb is loads if you just check emails, use the browser from time to time, and are even a little aware of not using it unnecessarily. Any youtubing, video watching, streaming audio, etc. eats into 500Mb like nobody's business though.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I am on the 2GB plan with at&t with my Pre 3 and didn't even come close to going over, 300mb I think. Right now I am working in Las Vegas and am using FeeTether (hotel wants $19.99 a day, no thanks).
    Same for me Vodafone Germany mostly below 300mb. 3Mailacounts as arrive, Twitter, 1h surfing each day (in subway on way to/from job).
    Using wifi as much as possible e.g. at night while the backup is running.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Same for me Vodafone Germany mostly below 300mb. 3Mailacounts as arrive, Twitter, 1h surfing each day (in subway on way to/from job).
    Using wifi as much as possible e.g. at night while the backup is running.
    I am with you guys on the 2 gig plan, on ATT with ATT Pre3... using about the same data as on Veer. Under 1 gig, don't think I have broken a gig of data yet, I try to stay off like my wifi at work as it is open public wifi, stay on my secured wifi at home.

2 g-mail accounts as arrive, twitter and FB are manual, google calendar, use notes to sync with google docs, web browsing, some preware use.

For those of you seeing a data jump, guessing this is your first month with Pre3? I activate (or do my best to) all webOS devices over WiFi as there is a massive first use sync that I would guess you don't get with iPhone (since you activate with iTunes). Also if any of you are the folks that friend a ton of people on FB, remember that all syncs back to your phone (I only have *real* friends on FB for the most part so I keep around 60 FB contacts, I know many folks over 1000).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    )

-Perhaps you used 3G on your initial setup? So any system updates, app downloads etcetc would count to that month's data usage. I suppose that could potentially be big.

How do I check this?

-The guy at carphone warehouse evidently didn't know that you don't use android or IOS, and so don't have an app killer app! This is a good thing.

Guy today at the Vodafone shop told me it was cos its running windows all the time!! He told me it does not use webos, its android, he read it in the papers!!! I chose to back out of the shop quickly.

-You can turn down how often your Pre3 checks for emails.
    How?

-You can use wifi where possible (at home). should really.

-As another post said, turn off 3G when you aren't using it. This is done through the dialler app, but as mentioned, 'Data toggle' app or the 'Data in device menu' patch (both on preware) will make it easier.
    How? Preware?

-turn of backup, or have it on wifi when it does backup.
    How?

-If you don't do this and don't use wifi at home, your phone will be checking email etc all through the night unnecessarily, using up 3G allowance.

-You can try not to leave data using apps on. Like Twitter clients for example. Since webos truly multitasks (unlike other OSes) the apps will still be running while the card is open.

Basically, 500Mb is loads if you just check emails, use the browser from time to time, and are even a little aware of not using it unnecessarily. Any youtubing, video watching, streaming audio, etc. eats into 500Mb like nobody's business though.
    Many thanks for your detailed reply, I am sure that I can get it down to under the 500 with all of these changes, I just dont know how to do them.
    Thanks all for your help too, its much appreciated.
    I just checked my data usage. Halfway through the billing cycle I am at 790 MB on the unlimited plan. With my Pre 2 I used wifi at home and cellular data away from home when a wifi hotspot was unavailable. The ATT 4G is so much faster than wifi that I rarely use wifi anymore when there is an H+ signal available.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I didn't read the whole thread...your phones are likely chewing up data doing nightly backups. To reduce data use use Sconix's Advanced Menus plus Mode-switcher to create a mode with no data...turn this on at night or use Advanced System prefs to have it automatically turn on at night..."backup" using wifi only.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I didn't read the whole thread...your phones are likely chewing up data doing nightly backups. To reduce data use use Sconix's Advanced Menus plus Mode-switcher to create a mode with no data...turn this on at night or use Advanced System prefs to have it automatically turn on at night..."backup" using wifi only.
    You should be able to just use mode switcher to accomplish this even with the auto on at night or whatever. Al though I do use sconix other patches, I have mode switcher setup to activate some modes based on day of week and time (work mode for example).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhony View Post
    Many thanks for your detailed reply, I am sure that I can get it down to under the 500 with all of these changes, I just dont know how to do them.
    Thanks all for your help too, its much appreciated.
    >>how do I check [data usage]?
    Depends upon your carrier. I guess you're on vodafone since you were talking about carphone warehouse? Most carriers have a mobile-optimised 'myaccount' website that you can log into from 3G or wifi, allowing you to check your monthly limit. O2 certainly have this, allowing you to check remaining data for the month, and day by day breakdown of usage (amongst other useful things). Go to your carrier's website from your browser.

>>Preware?
    Preware allows you to access homebrew patches and applications from the webos community- its kindof like a second app catalog. The easiest way to do this is to buy the 'preware homebrew documentation' from the app catalog, and it has instructions on how to get Preware. Preware is in my view a must have, and pretty much the best thing about WebOS is the awesome third party developer community, particularly with the uncertainty regarding HP and WebOS. Check out webosinternals for more info.

>>how [do I change how often email is checked]
    open the email app, and swipe down from the top left of the screen to pull up the menu, and select preferences and accounts. For each account you have set up, select it and scroll down to change the settings under 'Sync'. Its up to you how often, I set it for every 30 mins. If your email supports push, you could do that instead (i.e. Your email provider 'sends' the email to your phone, it doesn't rely on your phone to check if there's anything new')

>>how do I turn off backup or change synch time?
    turn off just by flipping the switch in the backup app, in the system folder. Dunno about the latter.... I'm sure I saw something somewhere on this forum. Anyone?
    I have used netstat in Preware and checked it against what att says I use multiple times on two different pre3's. It has always been very close.

I would check what the usage is periodically and try to figure it out by watching what program is running and what time of day.

I would bet that it is facebook. Facebook constantly checks for new status update and things like that. I wouldn't leave it open.
    Just checked 19 days left on billing cycle, right around 180 megs used.

I would burn a minimum of 2 gigs on my Sprint Pre.
    How does netstat do on battery life? Never had a need for it, gonna give it a go just to see if I have any data spikes. Odd that installing netstat just now, load it up and shows 13.2 MB used.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    How does netstat do on battery life? Never had a need for it, gonna give it a go just to see if I have any data spikes. Odd that installing netstat just now, load it up and shows 13.2 MB used.
    You need to write down what netstat says and then call and see what your current data is and then you will have a starting point to calculate when you are going to go over your allowed usage. You can also have it zero on a certain day of the month or manually zero it.

I don't think it uses up the battery because it doesn't need to be open all the time. I just open it and see where I am at and then close it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast