1.    #1  
    I would really appreciate any help any of you who have successfully done this can offer. I have been on an unlocked AT&T Pre Plus on T-Mobile for a little while now. I just bought an unlocked AT&T Pre 3 off of eBay that arrived yesterday.
    So, I popped in my T-Mob SIM and got to the screen where it asks for my Palm Profile account login. I see the "T-Mobile" identifier in the upper-left corner. I put in the correct email address and password and hit "Sign in". It sits for a while (maybe a few minutes?) saying, "Signing In . . . " and then comes back with an error saying, "Sign In Failed. This may be due to low network coverage of the phone settings on your SIM card need to be entered manually."
    I tried erasing the entering in the manual APN settings and retrying. It fails the same way as above. I then tried using the wap.voicestream.com APN without any username or password, and it failed as described above.
    So, I call T-mobile customer support at this point. The guy says he can't find any information on how to activate a Pre 3 yet. He also says he's surprised I happened to get my hands on one and says he's a "big Web OS fan" and has a TouchPad himself.
    He says for iPhones they need to put in epc.tmobile.com for the APN settings with no username or password in order to get them working on their network. He says I need to set the phone to use 2G and doesn't know how I'd do that on the Pre 3. He then says if that doesn't work, I should try searching through the PreCentral forums.
    So, I get off the phone and try again. When it fails and I get to enter in manual settings, I put in epc.tmobile.com as the APN with no username or password. I then power off the phone and boot it back up again. I put in my Palm Profile information again and have it fail, again.
    I then stick in dev mode and then try to call out to make sure it is, in fact, unlocked. I successfully do this. I try changing the APN settings in the phone settings (trying wap.voicestream.com, epc.tmobile.com and leaving all fields blank). I have no success.
    So, I take it out of dev mode and reboot to keep trying--to no avail.
    While making all these attempts, I've been searching through these PreCentral forums like crazy trying to find info. Seems lots of people have been successful at getting their Pre 3s working on T-Mob. I found some cases where people were unsuccessful.
    What I'm wondering is if those of you who successfully got your Pre 3s working on T-Mobile could help me out in trying to get mine working. I bought this Pre 3, because I figured it'd keep me happy being on Web OS for the foreseeable future. I had actually decided that I'd finally jump ship over to Windows Phone. However, the HTC Radar and rumored Nokia Lumia both have specs that are only on-par with the Pre 3. So, I figured, why not just get a Pre 3 for a while.
    Thanks in advance for any of you willing to help.
    Wall of text....

But... the ATT or Unlocked UK version will only work on T-Mo in 2G. No 3G or HSPA+ for you. That said, it should work well. Don't worry about activation or even telling T-mo what phone you're using. Just activate some free feature phone, get the feature phone data plan with it, and move on with your life. Swap the SIM into the Pre and enjoy life (with slow data). There is a hardware reason why you won't see faster data speeds.

If I totally missed the boat here, just ignore it. Wasn't gonna wall of text.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply, orangecones3. Yes, I wrote a TON, but I wanted to at least give all pertinent details. In reading through other threads, I've frequently seen where people were asking for more detail before they could help.
    The SIM I am trying to put into my Pre 3 is from my Pre Plus that I have been using on T-Mobile just fine (both voice and data) for a couple months now.
    The OP is referring to the first use app that runs and prevents normal use of the phone without first signing into and associating the device w/ a Palm profile. To do so, an internet connection is needed and it seems the settings are not configured for the SIM.

Cant you simply setup WiFi while in dev mode then reboot in normal mode and try signing in that way? Im not sure it'll work but its worth a try. Steps 1-6 in the Impostah thread should help. If that does not work then you may try the rest of the steps (7+) w/ Impostah.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    The OP is referring to the first use app that runs and prevents normal use of the phone without first signing into and associating the device w/ a Palm profile. To do so, an internet connection is needed and it seems the settings are not configured for the SIM.

Cant you simply setup WiFi while in dev mode then reboot in normal mode and try signing in that way? Im not sure it'll work but its worth a try. Steps 1-6 in the Impostah thread should help. If that does not work then you may try the rest of the steps (7+) w/ Impostah.
    Thanks for the suggestions, p41m3r. I'll have to give them a try. So, can I install Preware without being signed into my own Palm Profile, then? I know that in dev mode, there is a generic Palm Profile associated with the device.

It's actually weird, just now after trying exactly what I described in my original post, it gave me a different error.

It said it could not sign in and to contact Palm Support. It then popped up a message from the bottom saying I couldn't sign in due to being signed-in already on another Web OS phone. Plus, I noticed an "E" in the upper-right corner indicating I was on Edge data.

So, I went back to my original Pre+ and backed up data and turned it off. After finishing the backup, I turned my Pre 3 back on with the same SIM from my Pre+ and have been stuck in the same situation as before. It's really maddening trying to get this to work. The Pre3 no longer accepts the epc.tmobile.com APN setting and no longer shows the "E" for Edge in the upper-right corner that it did before I powered back up my Pre+ to do a backup.

Could the Pre3 possibly have bad radios in it?
    Quote Originally Posted by stonefield View Post
    So, can I install Preware without being signed into my own Palm Profile, then?
    Yea; just follow along in the Impostah link above. You'll need webOS QI to get it (along w/ Impostah) onto the device. Not sure what the issue is w/ the radio but it'll be better diagnosed once you're signed in and running.

The EDGE symbol is encouraging and the new message suggests it made contact w/ the servers. Keep trying, or attempt the WiFi method.

Dont forget to place the Pre+ in Airplane Mode. This will avoid an accidental erase if you happen to contact the backup servers via WiFi on the Pre+.
  7.    #7  
    Hey, thanks so much for the advice, p41m3r. I've already wasted too much time away from work, so I'll need to try this out later this evening. I'll let you know how it goes. Again, thanks so much for being willing to help out, at least. I really am trying to make this an option to make it feasible for me to stay with Web OS for a little while longer.
    Do you have prepaid service w/o data ?

If you are on the pay-as-you-go plan and don't have the data service, you got 3 choices :

1. Enable DEVMODE,
    pay $1.49 to enable the 1-day data pass thru 'http://wap.voicestream.com',
    perform full erase to get back to 'FIRST USE' to log into your profile.

2. Enable WiFi ( data ) thru Novaterm and retrieve your profile. Here is the instruction posted in the forum:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...ml#post3217875

3. If you got a friend with TMO with data service, you should borrow his SIM and retrieve your profile.

Good Luck.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks, qlearner. I do have data service. I'm trying to use the same SIM that's been in my Pre+ on T-Mobile for the last couple months.
    You may want to perform a 'FULL ERASE' to see that fix it. Otherwise, you may want to DOC your phone to the latest firmware level to see if it helps.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by stonefield View Post
    Thanks, qlearner. I do have data service. I'm trying to use the same SIM that's been in my Pre+ on T-Mobile for the last couple months.
    I had this Problem with a veer but not my pre 3. The easiest solution is to use an at&t sim and get it activated. At&t will use 3g while tmobile is stuck on 2g and causes isssues. You can go to an at&t store and borrow an employees sim to get it activated.
    I activated my Pre3 on T-Mobile without issue, and didn't change any of the APN settings (still haven't, whatever the auto settings are seem to work fine). I have read though that webOS can be a little picky about the speed of the data connection when activating, and since the Pre3 on T-Mobile is limitied to EDGE data you may need a really strong signal to get a good enough connection to activate. I first did mine in the T-Mobile store where I got the SIM, and I'm betting they made sure the signal in there is perfect. I activated again a few days later after I doctored the phone to 2.2.3, at home that time where I also seem to have a very good signal, again without issue.

I have observed several occasions since then where I had 3 or 4 bars showing yet the data connection was so slow it effectively didn't work. I suspect that's what you're running into.

I've often wondered why webOS phones won't let you enable WiFi prior to activation... I'm betting it's a sop to the carriers to prevent activating a smartphone with no data plan; gotta have them lucrative data plan profits.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I had this Problem with a veer but not my pre 3. The easiest solution is to use an at&t sim and get it activated. At&t will use 3g while tmobile is stuck on 2g and causes isssues. You can go to an at&t store and borrow an employees sim to get it activated.
    So, I went into an AT&T store yesterday. They weren't very busy and so, two of their reps asked if they could help. One guy tried to help out a bit; the other didn't want to. He also kept cutting off the other guy saying that if I'm trying to use it on T-Mobile, they couldn't help.
    I asked if I could just borrow a working SIM for a few minutes just to make sure the phone works, and they both said, "Nope, can't do that." I hate AT&T.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I activated my Pre3 on T-Mobile without issue, and didn't change any of the APN settings (still haven't, whatever the auto settings are seem to work fine). I have read though that webOS can be a little picky about the speed of the data connection when activating, and since the Pre3 on T-Mobile is limitied to EDGE data you may need a really strong signal to get a good enough connection to activate. I first did mine in the T-Mobile store where I got the SIM, and I'm betting they made sure the signal in there is perfect. I activated again a few days later after I doctored the phone to 2.2.3, at home that time where I also seem to have a very good signal, again without issue.

I have observed several occasions since then where I had 3 or 4 bars showing yet the data connection was so slow it effectively didn't work. I suspect that's what you're running into.

I've often wondered why webOS phones won't let you enable WiFi prior to activation... I'm betting it's a sop to the carriers to prevent activating a smartphone with no data plan; gotta have them lucrative data plan profits.
    That's interesting information. I'm wondering if I need to buy a SIM from AT&T and try activating it, briefly, like a GoPhone. That's what I originally did with my Pre+ when I at first just used it over wifi while I finished my time on my Sprint contract.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post

Hey p41m3r,
    So, I never got the Edge network back after repeated attempts. I ended up contacting Palm support who directed me to UK support, which I got off with just now. After a while on the phone with the lady, she said she believes the phone's radios that listen to the 2G band are bad. She said I should see the 2G immediately when I insert my SIM (as long as it's a valid, activated SIM with a data plan).

After confirming that, she said that she thinks the phone might be bad.

I decided against going the Impostah route. If this phone can't use TMob's network, frankly I don't want to use it. I really appreciate your help and suggestion, though.
  16.    #16  
    An update in case anyone cares or is looking for the same help I was:
    I finally gave up and returned the Pre3 to the eBay buyer. Their stated return policy was "no returns", but they were super nice about it and took it back anyway (I had to pay for shipping).
    I bought another Pre3 from eBay that came today. I put in my T-Mobile SIM, and then unlocked it. After finding T-Mobile's network, a little "E" appeared in the upper-right corner. I then signed into my Palm Profile just fine and am in the process of synching over my data and apps.
    So, there are bad Pre3s out there. Luckily I got a good one this time, and the seller of the original one was very helpful and understanding.
    I posted my success story at this thread
    T-Mobile Activation Kit on Pre3