1.    #1  
    The cellphone GSM radio in the AT&T Pre3 is very, very weak. I can barely get a signal in most places. I have yet to see a full five bars on my AT&T Pre3 anywhere, period. In most places the highest I generally get is no more than 2.5-3.0 bars. Actually, I don't recall ever seeing four bars either. I miss several calls a day, because my phone is found to be out of range. Not to mention frequent dropped calls. Does anyone else find the AT&T Pre3 to ahve poor reception?

PS: I have tried two different AT&T Pre3s with the same results. Strangely I don't recall having the same issue when I was using the UK Pre3.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    If you are using an AT&T Pre 3 in India, it's entirely possible you are getting bad reception because the AT&T Pre 3 does NOT support the 900 MHz band for data which is used throughout the world. In North America, we use 850 MHz in place of 900 MHz. This is not an issue with the phone or the antenna being bad, simply you are using a phone in an area which does not provide coverage at that frequency.

You will obviously get better reception on the EU Pre 3 because it supports 900 MHz. Switch back, or FrankenPre3 your EU if you are only using the AT&T for 16 GB of storage.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Actually blur, doesn't calling go through GSM which is quadband 850/900/1900/2100 so it works the same everywhere. It is the data (3G/HSPA) which is either 850/1900 on ATT or 900/1900 on UK version. On that note, the "bars" are for data. Only when data isn't available (no 3G or 2G logo near the bars) is it showing your GSM (voice) reception.

I have found the voice antenna to be very good on my UK phone in the US on ATT. Data on the other hand does indeed mostly stay in the 3-bar range (vs my native AT&T dumbphone which shows 4-5 bars of 3G in most places due to having 850).
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    If you are using an AT&T Pre 3 in India, it's entirely possible you are getting bad reception because the AT&T Pre 3 does NOT support the 900 MHz band for data which is used throughout the world. In North America, we use 850 MHz in place of 900 MHz. This is not an issue with the phone or the antenna being bad, simply you are using a phone in an area which does not provide coverage at that frequency.
    Thanks for your reply. But unfortunately that is not the issue.

AT&T Pre3 supports the following frequencies:
    GSM (Voice & 2G/EDGE data): 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
    UMTS (3G Data): 850, 1900, 2100 MHz

India uses the following frequencies:
    GSM (Voice & 2G/EDGE data): 900, 1800 MHz
    UMTS (3G Data): 2100 MHz

Which means that the AT&T Pre3, fully supports both Voice and data in India. In any case, 'voice calls' are all carried over the GSM network, thus the UMTS 850 MHz frequency has absolutely no role to play.

Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    Switch back, or FrankenPre3 your EU if you are only using the AT&T for 16 GB of storage.
    Actually, since I often travel to the US, the AT&T Pre3 serves me better. Ofcourse, the 16GB of storage is also an attraction.

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecones3 View Post
    It is the data (3G/HSPA) which is either 850/1900 on ATT or 900/1900 on UK version. On that note, the "bars" are for data. Only when data isn't available (no 3G or 2G logo near the bars) is it showing your GSM (voice) reception.
    Are you sure of this? That the bars indicate the data signal? This is the first I am ever hearing of this and also my practical experience seems to difer from this? I shall experiment by turning off all data for a while to see if the bars report any differently. In any case, the dropped calls and the number of times people find my phone out of signal, speaks for itself.

PS: As far as 2G (GPRS/EDGE) data is concerned, it is carried by the same GSM radio that carries the voice. Thus, atleast with the 2G logo, the bars definately indicate the GSM (voice & data both) signal strength. In the case of the 3G logo, I shall experiment and confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by orangecones3 View Post
    I have found the voice antenna to be very good on my UK phone in the US on ATT. Data on the other hand does indeed mostly stay in the 3-bar range (vs my native AT&T dumbphone which shows 4-5 bars of 3G in most places due to having 850).
    As stated in my previous post, I too remember my UK Pre3 to have a much better GSM reception. I suppose I should get the UK Pre3 out of the box and try it for a couple of days, just to reconfirm.

6. H
    The Pre3 is my first 'proper' smartphone (unless you include the N95). It is also the first phone that I get dropped calls on without a good explanation (hill, tunnel etc).

btw this is a UK Pre3
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I actually get a stronger on my ATT Pre 3 than I did on my Unlocked GSM Pre2. I don't blame my phone for dropped calls I blame ATT....I have problems around tall buildings, in elevators, and basements in NYC.
    The calls are dropped because you're using 3G over a weaker 2100 MHz signal.
    webOS is notoriously bad at switching back to G.