Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,

I have a new Pre3 UK-version using on AT&T in US. My current battery life is terrible. I just let the phone idle and it came down 3% in the last hour (data on, everything else off, email/account syncing either manual or once per hour, no skype account). With use, I am eating through as much as 20-25% per hour (say Pandora + facebook). Govnah reports that (with screen on so I can see govnah) I idle at -130mA, with even the smallest action pushing up to -250mA or more.

Things I've done so far:
    -- Change accounts (email, rss, etc) to manual (once per hour in some cases).
    -- No skype or other IM accounts
    -- Uberkernel + Govnah (default kernel was worse, so slight improvement from this)
    -- Muffle Logging
    -- Screen brightness @ 10-20% (based on need)
    -- BT off (only use it very rarely), wifi off (unless using), gps off (until ndrive comes out anyway), data on (3g/2g as available, although turning it off showed little improvement)
    -- Charging with cable, haven't done conclusive testing yet but Touchstone runs hot and battery tends to suffer.

What am I missing?

Also, what are the recommended Govnah settings for Uberkernel for the Pre3?

Current status: phone has been off the charger for 5 hours, I am at 67% already. Mostly idling, and about a dozen text messages, and a minute or 2 on facebook over 3g. Yesterday by this time (with about an hour of heavy data) I was easily looking at 40%.

WebOS Ver 2.2.0
    Firmware MU2.0.30(3500)
    Govnah 1.2.3

Thanks.

Update:
    Another data point. I am currently at 52%. 1/2 an hour ago it was 62%. What happened between now and then? My lunch break. Figure I spent 15 minutes or so eating, and then 15 or so minutes doing some web browsing over 3g. That is a going rate of .66% decrease in battery for every 60 seconds of use.

Posted from my PC because my Pre3 can't stay alive long enough to post this.
    Last edited by orangecones3; 11/09/2011 at 01:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    (Subscribing to the thread)
    There are some known sources for huge battery drain:
    1. Some app is going wild. E.g. mail has a problem syncing one particular mail because of an umlaut.
      Use lumberjack (preware) to find traces of it in the logfile
    2. Kernel is not scaling
      Check with govnah that the cpu is scaling down to 125mAh.
    3. Your modem has a problem. Unfortunately I don't have an advice how to find this out
    4. Your phone can't sleep. There are some threads about it.
      http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...not-sleep.html
      http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post3025555
      http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post3025555

Most likely its number one since the others are quite uncommon.
    I just checked my pre3 and it has a drain while sleeping (Wifi on, G3, 3 Mailaccounts while arrive, Twitter) = 5,7 mA.
    3% per hour at idle actually sounds about right.

Download Battery Monitor from Preware and run that for a few hours to see what your true average power draw is. At idle, you should be < -10 mA. At load... too many variables to calculate (screen brightness, CPU speed, kernel you're using, CPU voltage settings, what apps are running, etc.). Generally in the mid -200s to -300s seems normal for me. Running some really high overclocks I've seen it as high as -520 mA. Par for the course.

Honestly, what kind of battery life are you expecting? Barely any modern smartphones these days can last a day (generally BlackBerries thanks to the very efficient push services), which is a somewhat sad fact of the stagnation in battery technology (c'mon nanotubes! Lithium ion is so 1970s tech...).
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Install JStop and enable auto GC. It helped a lot with my battery life.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    Honestly, what kind of battery life are you expecting?
    I want it to easily survive a full day of normal use. This falls inline with what I've seen some people on this forum claim of "a day and a half". I've been using it much less than usual today and here we are at 4pm (central time) and I am sitting at 37% already (came off the charger at 7am).
    well, browsing the web with 3g kills the battery within 2-3 hours. turning down the display brightness only gives you small improvements, you can check those with govnah. turning off gps doesnt change anything for me . if you set your email refresh times higher gives you the biggest improvements and turning network to 2g is second biggest improvement.
    dont mess around with trigger in modeswitcher, that totaly kills your battery. i even had to doctor it once, because it was so messed up, it drained 5 %/h without doing nothing. after i doctored it, if droped to 0,5%/hour. in general, if you dont find the badboy that kills your battery, its sometimes quicker to just doctor it and install only the necessary homebrew stuff.
    also try preset reset, thats an awsome app to get rid of the lag, caused by memory leak.
    I'm running the stock kernel with email set to check every 30 min., GPS on, Wifi on and my at&t Pre 3's battery life is very good, at idle my Pre 3 consumes less than 1% per hour. Using the Battery Monitor app, check each app individually and add patches one at a time to try and find the power hog.
  9.    #9  
    Been idling (mostly, had a few quick text messages) with battery monitor for about an hour now, reporting a drain rate of 4% screen off, 5% screen on (still doing nothing but battery monitor). If I kick in some 3G activity, boom goes the dynamite at 20-30%. So basically, what it is reporting is perfectly consistent with what I've been experiencing.
  10.    #10  
    One problem I see with my approach is I basically installed everything fresh out of the box so the phone is "good to go" as much as possible. This includes many patches (mostly interface tweak things) from Preware. You think I should Doctor and start fresh?
    there is one point i havent mentioned yet, thats signal strength. if you only have 1-2 bars maybe 3 bars, your battery will drain in standby fast.
    if you got good signal, i would restart the pre, turn off all services and let battery monitor run over night with 2g. if battery drain is over 1-2%/h. i would consider to doctor it, and do like netwrkr9 said.
    37% at 4 pm is actually the same battery life I got... On my Galaxy S2.

Yes you can get a full day out of the Pre 3. First off, if you have even one email account set to get email hourly then it doesn't matter what you do with the other accounts.

Set every email account to get mail once a day. And just use it to answer calls and your battery life will be great. If you need to use it more often, then you are in the same boat as everyone else who has a modern smartphone.

I'm not trying to be harsh. I'm just explaining that the battery life of the Pre 3 is on par with the battery life of the Galaxy S2, and that phone has great battery life.
    How do you setup email to receive once a day? I can't seem to find it in the Preferences & Accounts in Email.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by virseph View Post
    How do you setup email to receive once a day? I can't seem to find it in the Preferences & Accounts in Email.
    Email > Prefs & Accounts > select the account > scroll down to "Sync" > under "Get Mail" drop down and select whatever you want.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by eternityzero View Post
    there is one point i havent mentioned yet, thats signal strength. if you only have 1-2 bars maybe 3 bars, your battery will drain in standby fast.
    if you got good signal, i would restart the pre, turn off all services and let battery monitor run over night with 2g. if battery drain is over 1-2%/h. i would consider to doctor it, and do like netwrkr9 said.
    since I am running the UK version on AT&T, as you would imagine my GSM (voice) reception is good all around. My data (2g/3g) reception is rather spotty due to not having the 850mhz band. At work I don't even get 3g, only spotty 2g (and we don't have wifi I can access in the building).
    I've been having some similar issues on an azerty pre3 running on H2O in the U.S. (AT&T's bands) I took my phone off the charger at 75% at around 3:45PM and was completely dead by 7:30PM. I have email set to retrieve every 15 minutes on two accounts, but this shouldn't matter because all data was off, and so was Bluetooth. During this time the phone wasn't doing anything at all but it was running hot (about 40 degrees) and battery drain was about 350-450mA on Govnah. I've also been having problems with the Touchstone, letting it charge overnight and seeing the charge go no higher than 65% but it works fine with the cable. I've tested it with other phones and it's not the touchstone. I'm wondering if our issues are related...

Webos 2.2.3, Firmware MU2.0.30(3004), Govnah 1.2.3.
  17.    #17  
    I just doctored my phone. Going to install preware and battery monitor (keeping all else stock) and will just let it idle for a few hrs (stuck at work anyway). Lets hope it will do a bit better than 3-5%/hr drain rate I've experienced before. Will report in throughout the day on the progress.

Edit 1: May not. For some reason QuickInstall doesn't wanna run on this computer. It has yesterday. I've tried uinstalling all the Palm/HP stuff that webosdoc installed, as well as current novcom drivers. Nada.

Edit 2: Forgot about enabling DevMode first. Feel stupid. But the experiment can begin.

Edit 3: It has idled for a bit over an hour at this point. 1.75% /hr. Freshly doctored, default everything. Only APP running is Battery Monitor. Data and GPS is ON. BT and Wifi are OFF. Will keep it idling in this condition another hour or 2 to get a more accurate reading.

Edit 4: 2.5 hours into the idle @ system defaults. Averaging about 1.8%/hr. According to Battery Monitor I have 94% left. According to the WebOS itself, 98%. This is an improvement. Well, time to install govnah and uberkernel and see what happens. Next update will be Uberkernel idle. No other changes.

Edit 5: Been an hour idling on Uberkernel, all else equal. Frankly, not seeing a change from this. If anything, it is just a little bit higher 1.9% vs 1.8% on Palm kernel (so very statistically insignificant here).

Due to lack of wifi or good 3G can't start installing apps and patches until I get home. So for now...To be Continued.
    Last edited by orangecones3; 11/10/2011 at 03:54 PM.
    You should not complain about the battery life of your device as long as you keep the 3G data ON. Turn it off and you will see a huge improvement.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbywal View Post
    You should not complain about the battery life of your device as long as you keep the 3G data ON. Turn it off and you will see a huge improvement.
    I addressed this in the OP. In my original configuration, the difference between 3G on or off was a matter of a fraction of a %, still eating well around 3-4% per hour. As you notice in my long post above yours, I managed to beat 2%/hr drain rate while still leaving data on. This tells me there is something else going on.

Whats the point of a smart phone if you aren't going to do anything smart with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecones3 View Post
    I want it to easily survive a full day of normal use. This falls inline with what I've seen some people on this forum claim of "a day and a half". I've been using it much less than usual today and here we are at 4pm (central time) and I am sitting at 37% already (came off the charger at 7am).
    I'm getting 1-1.5 days generally.

My GF gets up to 5 days - but she has data off almost all the time.

3G data is key to battery life (assuming no runaway background apps etc...).
    It's the biggest power drain.

Use wifi rather than 3G as much as possible.

Get "Data in Device menu" patch and quickly switch data (i.e. 2G/3G connection) on/off as needed.

3G power drain also depends on the quality of your reception. If you are in a badly covered (or well shielded ;-) ) area - the radio will raise power to try to keep connected. All the more reason to switch it off when not needed anyway.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast